Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,179 Members 41,635 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Unfortunately Google Search Has Stopped"

Tip us?

ErickE
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default "Unfortunately Google Search Has Stopped"

Hello,

I just received my new GS4 last night. Google Now crashes repeatedly. It will run OK if I don't add a sports team or a stock ticker but once I "customize" it, it will crash every time I start it.

The error message is "Unfortunately, Google Search Has Stopped".

I have cleared data and then I go through the opt-in process. It will run fine but as mentioned as soon as I change a setting, it will crash and then crash every time after that.

It's Google Search 2.4.10. I can't update it via the Play Store since it's a built-in app. Software version is L720VPUAMDC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erick

Vanakatherock
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickE View Post
Hello,

I just received my new GS4 last night. Google Now crashes repeatedly. It will run OK if I don't add a sports team or a stock ticker but once I "customize" it, it will crash every time I start it.

I have cleared data and then I go through the opt-in process. It will run fine but as mentioned as soon as I change a setting, it will crash and then crash every time after that.

It's Google Search 2.4.10. I can't update it via the Play Store since it's a built-in app. Software version is L720VPUAMDC.

Thanks,

Erick

Google search is updated via the Google Play store. That's where I always get the notification to update. Sometimes it is a manual update. Check there for an update. Google Play > Menu Button > My Apps > See if it has an update available.

ErickE
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanakatherock View Post
Google search is updated via the Google Play store. That's where I always get the notification to update. Sometimes it is a manual update. Check there for an update. Google Play > Menu Button > My Apps > See if it has an update available.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had checked that option and there was nothing. I checked the version number there 2.4.10 and that appears to be the most current build.

I just wiped my phone this morning (factory reset from recovery) and signed in. I did nothing else, didn't install any apps, nothing. Went to Google Now, added a sports team and the app crashed as I backed out of the screens. If I press the google button (to the left of the search bar) on the home screen, it hangs. Sometimes it comes up for a sec and then disappears but most of the time I get the "Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped".

This is really odd. I would be very surprised if I am the only user having this issue

Vanakatherock
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I had checked that option and there was nothing. I checked the version number there 2.4.10 and that appears to be the most current build.

I just wiped my phone this morning (factory reset from recovery) and signed in. I did nothing else, didn't install any apps, nothing. Went to Google Now, added a sports team and the app crashed as I backed out of the screens. If I press the google button (to the left of the search bar) on the home screen, it hangs. Sometimes it comes up for a sec and then disappears but most of the time I get the "Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped".

This is really odd. I would be very surprised if I am the only user having this issue
Although my sports teams setup in Google Now carried over from my GS3, I decided to try adding another team. I was successful in adding one and backing out of the app without it crashing. I also hit the google button and still didn't have an issue. Not sure what's going on with yours, unfortunately. I'm running 100% stock MDC Android that came on the phone out of the box one week ago.

Marty
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Erick
I have not tried this but I have read of others apparently solving this issue but uninstalling Google Search using Titanium Backup (requires root) then re-installing via Google Play.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ErickE
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I have not tried this but I have read of others apparently solving this issue but uninstalling Google Search using Titanium Backup (requires root) then re-installing via Google Play.
Thanks. I saw that too. My only concern was if I should just bring it into the Sprint store first for them to have a look at it. I was worried that if I went the root route to correct it (and I do intend to root anyways), if that didn't correct the problem, then I would need to bring it into the store for them to look at.

Will the restore OS/Wipe Disk option (from stock recovery) bring it back to 100% "original" in case I needed to take it in?

Thanks for the reply. I may just go that route

piensa
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Unfortunately, Google search has stopped... followup

Did you go with the Titanium backup route an deleted the Google Search app (actually, as I understand it, from the actual ROM... not only as a regular installed app) and re-installed from the Play Store? if so, what are the results?

Both my N4 and my N7 started showing "Unfortunately, Google search has stopped" messages after I edited one sports card in Google Now. Since its happening in both devices it is clearly either an app related issue, a Google related issue or something in between but, definitely NOT a hardware issue...

Your comments are welcome, thanks in advance.

Quote:
Thanks. I saw that too. My only concern was if I should just bring it into the Sprint store first for them to have a look at it. I was worried that if I went the root route to correct it (and I do intend to root anyways), if that didn't correct the problem, then I would need to bring it into the store for them to look at.

Will the restore OS/Wipe Disk option (from stock recovery) bring it back to 100% "original" in case I needed to take it in?

Thanks for the reply. I may just go that route
The Following User Says Thank You to piensa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ErickE
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by piensa View Post
Did you go with the Titanium backup route an deleted the Google Search app (actually, as I understand it, from the actual ROM... not only as a regular installed app) and re-installed from the Play Store? if so, what are the results?

Both my N4 and my N7 started showing "Unfortunately, Google search has stopped" messages after I edited one sports card in Google Now. Since its happening in both devices it is clearly either an app related issue, a Google related issue or something in between but, definitely NOT a hardware issue...

Your comments are welcome, thanks in advance.
I tested with a friend who got the GS4 last week from Sprint also. I walked him through all of the steps and his search application did not hang at all after adding a sports team or stock ticker. He was on firmware version MDL.

I took it to the Sprint store (even though I bought it from Costco) and they agreed 100% that something was wrong with it. They didn't want to work on it since I just got it from Costco. They said to just take it back since it's so new.

This morning, I received the MDL update. I applied it but unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem

I called Wireless Advocates this morning (the company that sells for Costco) and they suggested that I go back to the store to return it (even though their instructions that arrived with the phone specifically says Do Not Return To Costco In Case Of A Problem.

So, I'm kind of at a loss. If I root it and try to Titanium to delete it, I'm worried that I will lose any recourse with Costco. Once it's rooted, I am out on my own. I am thinking that I will try and return it tonight and if I am unsuccessful, then I will root it and delete the app.

piensa
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default "Unfortunately Google Search Has Stopped"

Well, to be honest with you... as annoying and pissing it is to have the "Unfortunately Google Search Has Stopped" problem and Google Now not working properly on its last update, the problem seems not to be as bad to return your shiny new phone to Costco or where you bought it.

This is actually a software problem that Google should be fixing very soon and releasing an update to do so. Bear in mind, also that this very week Google I/O conference will take place in San Francisco and most probably they will release a new Android version 4.3 or 5.... which should include most probably a fix to this.

In the meantime, go to your Play Store, search fo "Google Search" and un-install all upgrade to this app, also disable auto-updates for this app and that should work. I have done it and it is OK (not the latest Google Now..but it works, at least doesn't crash).

During the lifetime of your phone you will encounter bugs in software, as long as they are repaired quickly and there are not impeding the usage of the phone and its critical functions, those are not reasons to return it. My 2 cents.

Good luck.

Quote:
I tested with a friend who got the GS4 last week from Sprint also. I walked him through all of the steps and his search application did not hang at all after adding a sports team or stock ticker. He was on firmware version MDL.

I took it to the Sprint store (even though I bought it from Costco) and they agreed 100% that something was wrong with it. They didn't want to work on it since I just got it from Costco. They said to just take it back since it's so new.

This morning, I received the MDL update. I applied it but unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem

I called Wireless Advocates this morning (the company that sells for Costco) and they suggested that I go back to the store to return it (even though their instructions that arrived with the phone specifically says Do Not Return To Costco In Case Of A Problem.

So, I'm kind of at a loss. If I root it and try to Titanium to delete it, I'm worried that I will lose any recourse with Costco. Once it's rooted, I am out on my own. I am thinking that I will try and return it tonight and if I am unsuccessful, then I will root it and delete the app.

ErickE
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by piensa View Post
Well, to be honest with you... as annoying and pissing it is to have the "Unfortunately Google Search Has Stopped" problem and Google Now not working properly on its last update, the problem seems not to be as bad to return your shiny new phone to Costco or where you bought it.

This is actually a software problem that Google should be fixing very soon and releasing an update to do so. Bear in mind, also that this very week Google I/O conference will take place in San Francisco and most probably they will release a new Android version 4.3 or 5.... which should include most probably a fix to this.

In the meantime, go to your Play Store, search fo "Google Search" and un-install all upgrade to this app, also disable auto-updates for this app and that should work. I have done it and it is OK (not the latest Google Now..but it works, at least doesn't crash).

During the lifetime of your phone you will encounter bugs in software, as long as they are repaired quickly and there are not impeding the usage of the phone and its critical functions, those are not reasons to return it. My 2 cents.

Good luck.
Thanks Piensa. I appreciate your detailed response.

I am right there with you. I can deal with it as long as I know that it's a software issue and not a hardware issue. The more and more I have been reading (and your reply also) indicates that it is a software issue. The weird part is why my friend's Sprint GS4 doesn't have this problem and the Sprint Store also said that it was a definite bug. That's the part I don't get. Why does his Google Search work and mine is crashing?

Good point about Google I/O (excited to see what they announce this week) and maybe an update will be released. Unfortunately, the version of Google Now included with the GS4 is the very latest (ver 2.4.10.626027) and I am unable to back out any updates (thanks for the suggestion).

I guess I will ride it out this week and see what comes out of Google I/O.

Question. Do you know if I root the phone without installing a custom recovery, can I back it out simply by factory resetting the phone and will Costco/Sprint know that it was rooted at one point?

Thanks again for your help.