How unlocking works?

OP noxified

29th January 2014, 11:51 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

45 posts
I have a locked nokia lumia 920( upgraded from 710), and I wanted to know the imei calculator is working?

Why can't we do it home?
29th January 2014, 12:18 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,722

5,755 posts
More
Wrong forum.

What is hard to comprehend about the purpose of a Q&A forum, anyhow?
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #3  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 632

2,262 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxified

I have a locked nokia lumia 920( upgraded from 710), and I wanted to know the imei calculator is working?

Why can't we do it home?

he he ... ��
29th January 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

Wrong forum.

I'm not sure, mate.
It was a legit honest question. It's that so hard to answer?
Last edited by noxified; 29th January 2014 at 04:21 PM.
29th January 2014, 04:39 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 33

61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noxified

I'm not sure, mate.
It was a legit honest question. It's that so hard to answer?

Yes, GoodDayToDie is right, he's always right , didn't you know rule #1 of the Windows Phone Development and Hacking subforum, no questions allowed, if you had checked the "Is this a question" box, you normally had received a message that it's a violation of the XDA-Developers forum rules to post questions in the Development section. Move your question to the Q&A section (use the report button on the first post and select thread/post moving or maintenance and request for the thread to be moved to the Q&A section) and it will be answered surely.
The Following User Says Thank You to bruce142 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 13

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce142

Yes, GoodDayToDie is right, he's always right , didn't you know rule #1 of the Windows Phone Development and Hacking subforum, no questions allowed, if you had checked the "Is this a question" box, you normally had received a message that it's a violation of the XDA-Developers forum rules to post questions in the Development section. Move your question to the Q&A section (use the report button on the first post and select thread/post moving or maintenance and request for the thread to be moved to the Q&A section) and it will be answered surely.

Just for information:

Nokia unlock codes are calculated with a secret algo that resides inside a smartcard named SX-5 from IMEI and a provider specific configuration key.

These codes aren't stored in phones but a SHA hash instead, which can't be altered since it's RSA signed.

Every time a not factory unlocked phone starts the user entered and stored unlock code is hashed and this hash is compared with the stored one.

So there is no algo in phone. And brute-forcing 20 digit codes (SHA hashing) costs you much more money for energy and calculation time than a brand new factory unlocked phone would cost you.
Last edited by pete_es; 31st January 2014 at 02:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pete_es For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
imei unlocking on nokia lumia 920
Previous Thread Next Thread