XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy W OS recomendations

Tip us?

Thaenor
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question [Q] Samsung Galaxy W OS recomendations

First of all greetings XDA community. I am new here but ever since I got my android and found this website I've been checking and searching for needed information, up until now I never had the need to register or post. So thanks for the help and information I've already found in other threads and other topics

The reason I needed to make an actual post here, is because I don't exactly have a precise question. I understand this may be a subject of discussion, so I wanted to hear the opinion of people with more experience and knowledge.

I have a Samsung Galaxy W, for probably less than a year. I understood that at the time of purchase the phone itself was already "outdated".
However this didn't concern me, I wanted a phone just so I could access the Internet anytime needed just to read some stuff or google something I may need as well as checking fb and twitter. For larger and more resource-consuming apps I would use my tablet (a Sony S).
In a nutshell: I want my android for browsing the Internet and checking fb and twitter. I would use it as an mp3 and to play some casual games to burn some time (angry birds, solitare, bejwelled, Jetpack Joyride and so forth).

By the way, I would like to (at the risk of getting sidetracked) ask you for some recommendations on browsers for android. I know Chrome is probably by far the best, but sadly the Galaxy W can't run Chrome. I've tried Dolphin, Opera, Ninesky... but nothing that would fully satisfy me (like Chrome).

The issue: As of late my phone as been slowing down and dragging itself a bit too much. Something as simple as opening the messages, something you'd expect to be instantaneous, takes some painful seconds under a black screen.
I couldn't deal with the keyboard (this is my first touchscreen phone) so I tested and bought SwiftKey which made typing a lot easier, but sometimes it also takes a while to see the keyboard appear.

Some of my apps (might be relevant): Juice Defender, 3G Watchdog, Facebook, Twitter, TweetDeck, tomtom Places, and some apps that are forced by the carrier.

I use Clean Master and I even try to, sometimes, kill iddle tasks of things I don't need, but it feels pointless since the phone just drags and slows even more as he restarts the closed apps again.

I think that using a different ROM might help my issue, and I have some questions:

1- Do you think using a Jelly Bean (or ICS) Cyanogen mod might improve the speed on my phone (pardon if I'm saying some barbarity in here)

2- If I install a Jelly Bean or ICS ROM will I be able to downolad and install Chrome from the store?

3- The phone is unlocked (meaning I can use other SIM cards from any carriers in it). Will the ROM undo this and force the phone back to it's original carrier?

4- The phone is rooted. This is kinda silly but I'd like to be sure. Will a new ROM un-root my phone?

I think that's it. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to make sure I wrote all the relevant information to make sure I get the right answer

Thank you, looking forward to read your replies

Thaenor
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Re: [Q] Samsung Galaxy W OS recomendations

I forgot to mention, for some time i used the ex go launcher. It worked the same as the default theme. It takes sometime to load at first but after loading the transitions are smooth and everything works fine... until i open an app or do something big.

Lately (read, today) the call button was a bit laggy and i did not like it one bit.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using xda app-developers app

ice6
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaenor View Post
First of all greetings XDA community. I am new here but ever since I got my android and found this website I've been checking and searching for needed information, up until now I never had the need to register or post. So thanks for the help and information I've already found in other threads and other topics

The reason I needed to make an actual post here, is because I don't exactly have a precise question. I understand this may be a subject of discussion, so I wanted to hear the opinion of people with more experience and knowledge.

I have a Samsung Galaxy W, for probably less than a year. I understood that at the time of purchase the phone itself was already "outdated".
However this didn't concern me, I wanted a phone just so I could access the Internet anytime needed just to read some stuff or google something I may need as well as checking fb and twitter. For larger and more resource-consuming apps I would use my tablet (a Sony S).
In a nutshell: I want my android for browsing the Internet and checking fb and twitter. I would use it as an mp3 and to play some casual games to burn some time (angry birds, solitare, bejwelled, Jetpack Joyride and so forth).

By the way, I would like to (at the risk of getting sidetracked) ask you for some recommendations on browsers for android. I know Chrome is probably by far the best, but sadly the Galaxy W can't run Chrome. I've tried Dolphin, Opera, Ninesky... but nothing that would fully satisfy me (like Chrome).

The issue: As of late my phone as been slowing down and dragging itself a bit too much. Something as simple as opening the messages, something you'd expect to be instantaneous, takes some painful seconds under a black screen.
I couldn't deal with the keyboard (this is my first touchscreen phone) so I tested and bought SwiftKey which made typing a lot easier, but sometimes it also takes a while to see the keyboard appear.

Some of my apps (might be relevant): Juice Defender, 3G Watchdog, Facebook, Twitter, TweetDeck, tomtom Places, and some apps that are forced by the carrier.

I use Clean Master and I even try to, sometimes, kill iddle tasks of things I don't need, but it feels pointless since the phone just drags and slows even more as he restarts the closed apps again.

I think that using a different ROM might help my issue, and I have some questions:

1- Do you think using a Jelly Bean (or ICS) Cyanogen mod might improve the speed on my phone (pardon if I'm saying some barbarity in here)

2- If I install a Jelly Bean or ICS ROM will I be able to downolad and install Chrome from the store?

3- The phone is unlocked (meaning I can use other SIM cards from any carriers in it). Will the ROM undo this and force the phone back to it's original carrier?

4- The phone is rooted. This is kinda silly but I'd like to be sure. Will a new ROM un-root my phone?

I think that's it. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to make sure I wrote all the relevant information to make sure I get the right answer

Thank you, looking forward to read your replies

Hi .

I just saw this forum. and came across a topic related to upgrading Galaxy W to kitkat unofficially. How about your 'quest? lol.