Ask a question

No registration required

[Q][ROM2SD] Dual boot SD card ROM freezing

OP maxp888

24th January 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
I have been testing ROMs on my SD card using _that's method from here as well as the built in ROM2SD install from the CROMI-X installer.

Everything was working great using CM10.2 until a few days ago when my TF700 became unresponsive after 5-10 minutes whenever I was running on the SD card mounted ROM. (It had been working fine for about a week of steady use). When it becomes unresponsive, it doesn't register any screen touches nor do any hardware keys work. The only way to recover is with a hard reset (holding the power button for a while even though pressing once has no effect). Decided to see if it was something related to CM10.2 so I reformatted the SD card and installed CROMI-X to the SD card using the CROMI-X installer... used it for a little bit and got the same problem.
I'm back to using the internal ROM and have no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a problem with the SD card itself (I'm using gparted to format and the card appears to function normally in other devices...)? I don't think it's a kernel issue as I'm using _that-v7 both internally and on the SD ROM (either through the CROMI-X installer or with the modified rom2sd2.zip from _that's dual boot thread).

Anyways, any advice or theories would be appreciated. I'd post in the original dual-boot thread but as a serial lurker/flasher I don't have enough posts to participate in the dev thread.
24th January 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,052

3,170 posts
More
I could have written your post....
I had EXACTLY the same setup, progression and result.
No idea for a solution though.... But doesn't it feel good not to be alone?
24th January 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,242

11,667 posts
Donate to Me
More
You'll need to provide a logcat for a proper diagnosis otherwise we are guessing

But my guess will be your sdcard is not up to the task. What type of card is it?
24th January 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,513

3,545 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxp888

Could it be a problem with the SD card itself

Maybe. The microSD interface in the TF700 is known to be unreliable, at least in combination with certain cards. It was even worse with old ICS kernels.
25th January 2014, 02:43 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Muti-Verse
Thanks Meter: 1,736

2,167 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Any advice or theories would be appreciated. I'd post in the original dual-boot thread but as a serial lurker/flasher I don't have enough posts to participate in the dev thread.

What utility are you using to partition and or format the sdcard??
25th January 2014, 03:25 AM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA

3,170 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj50036

What utility are you using to partition and or format the sdcard??

I have what everybody else has: Scandisk Ultra class 10 formatted with Gparted.

I think I have the last installation still on the card. I'll give it a shot and try to capture a logcat, but that could be a looooooong logcat - if I remember correctly both CM and CROMi-X ran fine for a few days and then froze without warning. Not much fun using the tablet with a computer attached to it
25th January 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags

You'll need to provide a logcat for a proper diagnosis otherwise we are guessing

But my guess will be your sdcard is not up to the task. What type of card is it?

I'm also using a 32GB SanDisk ultra UHS Class 1 (the red and grey one) formatted with gparted.

As for the logcat, I haven't been able to get my tablet working over adb since I moved to windows 8.1 but I will be messing around with that today so hopefully I'll have something later.
25th January 2014, 03:59 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,242

11,667 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm also using a 32GB SanDisk ultra UHS Class 1 (the red and grey one) formatted with gparted.

As for the logcat, I haven't been able to get my tablet working over adb since I moved to windows 8.1 but I will be messing around with that today so hopefully I'll have something later.

adb works fine in Windows 8.1. Use these drivers here:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=22962010882834442
25th January 2014, 05:39 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Ok, got adb up and running. The full logcat is attached. I used the most verbose logging and the last responsive thing I was able to do was go into settings and attempt to keep wifi on in the low power settings (this occurs at 11:12:34.489 in the log). The tablet obviously saves this setting however the screen fails to update or register input after this point and actually continues to highlight the check box for that setting option as if I was continually touching it. I let the tablet run for a while to see if it was just laggy, but it failed to respond for over ten minutes... Anyways, let me know what you think and I'll be happy to test any theories.

(as a side note, you'll probably notice my wifi continually disconnecting and reconnecting, but my tablet has done that since I purchased it so it's probably unrelated).
Attached Files
File Type: txt crash.txt - [Click for QR Code] (301.0 KB, 4 views)
25th January 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #10  
Flag Los Angeles, CA

3,170 posts
More
I haven't been able to reproduce the freeze yet. Ran the tablet on rom2sd for more than an hour with all kinds of apps, Netflix, Quadrant etc - works like a charm.
I did format the ext4 partitions before installing rom2sd (yet again). Maybe I finally got it right?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread