Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,129 Members 45,746 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] CarbonROM KK 4.4 Unofficial 6.23.14

Tip us?

pio_masaki
Old
(Last edited by pio_masaki; 24th June 2014 at 07:34 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3,635

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM] CarbonROM KK 4.4 Unofficial 6.23.14

As usual, pointing to the post concerning this ROM from its main team HERE

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/
CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

1.6 is a pretty big update for us! Check out the changelog on our goo.im page for more, but here are the highlights:

-We've fixed PIE! It no longer decides to be invisible from time to time.
-We fixed the battery charge light! None of us use it but apparently you guys are just nuts for it!
-Dark Carbon! Huge props to Slim Roms for coming up with this unique and awesome feature.
-Lockscreen theming
-CM skinny battery is back!
-Volume key lock on silent mode option
-Backup tool - if you're flashing a new version of Carbon and already have the required version of gapps installed, it will be backed up and restored during install. This applies to system apps and custom host files as well. Please note that you should only dirty flash from Carbon to Carbon. It's ok if it's another version or a nightly - just not over other roms. Super handy for you crack flashers. Make sure you've got the most recent Gapps though, and if you're flashing from a factory reset, you'll still need to install it after install of course.
-Long pressing the "clear recents" button clears the cache
-3.4 kernel on D2xxx devices. It's finally stable enough where we're comfortable with this - remember to only flash other 3.4 kernels or it will not boot as there are rom-level dependencies.
-AOKP's awesome new navbar settings
-NFC polling mode for when you want to keep your screen off and scan tags
-MMS and call "breathe" feature. Makes the notification icon fade in and out.
-Mute dings when changing volume
-Disable/enable CRT effect on screen on/off.
-3rd party keyboard bug fixed
-deodexed again
-stability and speed enhancements
-a million other little things as well - we basically don't even sleep anymore.

Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users!

Who is Team Carbon?

andros11
BigShotRob
dg4prez
Kejar31
mattmanwrx
morfic
nocoast
pixeldotz
slick_rick
winner00

Change Log

Carbon change log HERE

6.02.13 -
Initial release "nightly" build
Fixed Camera
Fixed GPS

6.09.13 -
Synced to Chad0989's trees
Synced sources
Uses chad's -chad branch not fb branch kernel, crpalmer's kernel may work with this build.

6.11.13 -
HALO implemented

Code:
Synced back up with chad's trees
Synced with Carbon source
-Removed for space, post is to long
Code:
Device tree:
Updated with *SOME* of chad/flyhalf/crpalmer's recent work:
https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_device_htc_dlx/commit/b18cbc01baf535de447b44675727ca91b7548bea - cleanup more inline with cm *note* not all changes were done, it was causing issues with Carbon.

https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_device_htc_dlx/commit/9a01d0428755502b17cd2d5854fd293da9b6f143 - updates from m7 

Kernel:
To many to list one by one, however visit here https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_kernel_htc_dlx/commits/cm-10.1-chad

And look back to june 30th which was my last pull.

Change log removed for space reasons (post is to long now)
8.06.13:
Tried out the BT fixes from Chad's CM10.2 stuff, so it may or may not work.
Current sources, should be the same as the 8.1.13 final stable releases for Nexus devices.
Change Log 8.06.13

The post is to big for XDA posts now, so instead I'll include a link to the changelog itself!

From here on ONLY use 4.3 gapps, I don't want to see any reports of broken cameras, keyboards or locking up if you are on anything besides a 4.3 gapps!

Fully updated to 4.3 Jellybean source
Fully updated to chad and crew's latest work on kernel/vendor/device
Use only the included kernel for now, crpalmer's 3.1.2 kernel is not fully compatible and will cause display and camera glitching.
Use only gapps for 4.3
A complete revamp of Carbon, they're starting over from the ground up so you may notice a lot of features missing, such as halo, expect these to return soon. What you can also expect is a smooth fast ROM with a solid foundation to build upon!

Updated source
BlueTooth now turns on (how well it works I can't test)
Single build, for now GSM is at least somewhat working on the CDMA build, so for now, pending further investigation, only a single "unified" version is available.

Updated souce
Updated with Chad and company's latest awesomeness
Features are beginning to trickle back in, Halo is back, etc.
Compatible with crpalmer's latest kernel (and .torrented's should also work)
Change Log 8.19.13

Updated Carbon source (ribbons?)
Updated with chad and groups work:

Device:
  • - Use correct mic for Google Search and other voice apps (bottom, not the top)
  • - Change back to HTCQualcommRil (from HTCCDMAQualcommRil) * CDMA build only
  • - Custom recovery graphics
  • - Sim hotswap will no longer prompt for reboot
  • - Everything from the 17th to today
https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_d...ommits/cm-10.2

Kernel:
  • - Hardware VSync support
  • - Missing clocks added
  • - ROW Scheduler added
  • - Everything done for the 14th to today, I'm not typing that all out
https://github.com/CM10DNA/android_k...ommits/cm-10.2

ROM:
  • - Carbon Fibers updated with a new swype style
  • - Ribbons returns from AOKP
  • - See change log on the site as usual

• - Updated source
  • - Removed default showing of the overflow menu button, most hardware key map this and prefer to save the screen space.
  • - GSM Only: Changed default to WCDMA preferred from GSM/LTE: Should help with initial issues with calling/sms/mms maybe not working on some networks.
  • - Device, Kernel, Vendor trees otherwise untouched from last build.
  • - Listview Animations and Interpolator (Carbon Fibers > Interface)

• - Updated source
  • - Built against the M7 kernel
  • - Includes everything done up to a couple of hours ago.
  • - NOT Global, CDMA and GSM versions will be needed still.
  • - CM's enhanced NFC added, I can't test it so any reports would be appreciated.
  • - MUST CLEAN FLASH THIS NO MATTER WHAT
  • - Compatible with crpalmer's 4.x.x kernels as far as I know.

9.13.13- B2
Removed qcom keystore to prevent hot reboot on display off.

9.13.13- CDMA B3
Correct issue causing bootlooping on the CDMA build, GSM didn't have it.

Updated source build:
  • Halo updates from PA
  • Add color support to text only battery
  • Fix network speed statusbar indicator traffic color on reboot
  • Fix reboot menu not being themed
  • Minor changes

Updated Carbon source:
  • Small stuff
  • Corrected QCOM keystore issue (thanks crpalmer)

9.23.13- Part DeuxApparently the blank display was due to changes Carbon made to msm8960-common that I hadn't thought to look in on, and it changes quite a few things concerning the display. For now I have reverted to the CM common tree to correct the display issue.

12.5.13:
Initial bringup to KitKat 4.4
UNTESTED, CDMA Version only for now.
New folder for the 4.4 ROM here http://pio-masaki.com/DroidDNA/Carbon-KK
Please use an updated 4.4 GApps package!
Please CLEAN FLASH this only!
Please flash this with the latest 4.4 compatible recovery!

12.10.13:
CDMA only
Updated source and trees
I still can't test so those who had pervious issues (data, MMS) please give this a try and report when you have time.

1.22.14:
CDMA only, may be Global.
Updated build, untested as I lack the device now, please report any issues!

1.29.14:
Updated sources
Camera should work now
Please see if the Settings>Carbon Fibers> Interface FC still occurs.
As usual use the 4.4 GApps that has worked for you so far.
Not on pio-masaki.com yet, you can nab it now here http://d-h.st/Zsj

2.2.14:
Updated sources.
Camera and Interface FCs were corrected last build, should also be alright here.
4.4 GApps that you usually use.
Available on pio-masaki.com

2.5.14:
Updated sources.
Check that the carrier, date/day/whatever is proper and that the data connection icons are correct (IE no more roaming in 3G etc)
For those with speed issues, a report on that would be appreciated.
4.4 GApps that you used last time.

2.9.14:
Updated sources
Built because I was already on my 8th build of the day, why not?
4.4 GApps that you used last time.

2.20.14:
Updated sources
Built because my wife hates me and the couch sucks
4.4 GApps as usual

3.8.14:
Updated sources
Built because why not, its been awhile.
4.4 GApps as usual

4.7.14:
Updated sources
Built because its been a damn month, that's why!
4.4 GApps as usual

6.23.14:
Updated sources
JustArchi optimizations implemented
FULL 100% -03 built ROM, not just portions
Linaro 4.8 toolchain
Built as user instead of userdebug, odexes the ROM and disables some of the background logging
Updated Adreno candies
Peek
Available on pio-masaki.com in the usual place, however look in the SS folder as this is no longer just Carbon.
Retired helper

All that remains
Droid DNA
Carbon
The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to pio_masaki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pio_masaki
Old
(Last edited by pio_masaki; 13th September 2013 at 09:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3,635

DONATE TO ME
Instructions:

Please clean flash this, there's so many extra settings that dirty flashing will likely cause problems. If you dirty flash, please don't report any issues until you flash clean and the issue occurs again!

Please use a proper 4.2.2 Gapps package, using inversed or any modded versions can and likely will cause issues, please use the current 4.2.2 from goo.im, if you use inverted or modded Gapps, please don't report issues until you clean flash with a proper package from goo.im!

If you are not S-OFF you will need to extract the boot.img and flash it separately, either flashGUI or fastboot, your choice, needs done.

S-OFF:

Download the ROM for your needs, CDMA or GSM.
Download the current 4.2.2 Gapps from goo.im or pio-masaki.com
Place files someplace useful
Boot into recovery
This part assumes you know how to operate your installed recovery
Wipe system
Factory reset
Wipe dalvik
Flash CarbonROM
Flash Gapps
Reboot
Let settle for a few minutes after booting
Setup phone as usual

If you have issues on first boot, flash the ROM only, then after it boots, reboot and flash Gapps then manually setup your phone in settings.

CDMA version: for use with Verizon, NOT for any other network.

GSM version: for use with GSM carriers, NOT for Verizon.

Global verison: for use with BOTH Verizon and GSM, no different build required
Retired helper

All that remains
Droid DNA
Carbon
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to pio_masaki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pio_masaki
Old
(Last edited by pio_masaki; 24th June 2014 at 07:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3,635

DONATE TO ME
[CENTER]FAQS
If you didn't read the bugs list in the first post, go back up and read that now, asking the same questions over and over is a trademark of xda and I hate it, please read the change log and bug list before posting questions or reporting issues.

Q. I want to report an issue, can I just post it in your thread without reading or doing any basic troubleshooting, googling, reading or wiping?
A. Well you CAN, you may be ignored or flamed for it. Please read above, and please read the Bugs and Change Log lists before reporting anything. Please flash a clean download, flash a clean wipe, and don't restore stuff from TiBu, that's basic troubleshooting, check if the issue persists, if it does, then feel free to post about it.

Q. Is this daily driver ready?
A. Can't answer that, what a person needs from their phone varies from person to person, what I may consider fine for my use may be 500 kinds of broken for another user. Example, I don't use my camera often, maybe once a month, and my BT has never been turned on for the last 5 devices, for me broken BT audio and camera doesn't make it a non daily driver ROM. Please read and decide for yourself if features included outweigh the broken, or if broken things are required for your comfortable use of your device.

Q. How can I build my own versions?
A. For now you can use the existing CM tree and build it that way. Any further help can be asked as needed.

Q. Can I use -insert kernel name here-?
A. No. Well ok you can, but please don't report any issues while running anything besides what came with the ROM.

Q. Your files all download as index.php!
A. This happens on certain browsers, namely the stock browser and Chrome. You can either use another browser (naked and dolphin don't do this) or simply rename the file to something useful, like "piostotallyepicawesomesaucedrizzledromthatrocksyo urass.zip"

Q. Can we do random bantering and good natured fun poking in your thread?
A. Sure, feel free to go OT on occasion, I'm all for having FUN on xda, even if some are not. I would like users to feel completely comfortable in my thread with no worries of me coming down on any thing not ROM or development related, I don't run a strict thread as many know by now. What I don't want is flame wars, though. Please keep a limiter on what is good natured fun as we all know things can get out of hand quickly. If someone is taking offense to something going on and its made known, please end it there with no hard feelings.

[CENTER]
Bugs:
None specific to Carbon

Downloads:

Please visit pio-masaki.com for all my ROM builds

Kernel source used:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_htc_m7
Retired helper

All that remains
Droid DNA
Carbon
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to pio_masaki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-DroidIsDNA-
Old
Thanks Meter 251
Whoop!!!! I heard rumors! I'm about to no sleep and flash this tonight...thanks so much for your hard work!
Tester Extraordinaire. Check out my WordPress..

uppon2
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,186
I downloaded this from your server and running it now. Seems very smooth and I like the breathing effect of notifications. You need to rest!
The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle

Shamrock13
Old
Thanks Meter 42
So I see this is based off the Cyanogen Mod tree. Does that mean the ROM has the same bugs as it such as bluetooth?

Also, how does one download it?

pio_masaki
Old
Thanks Meter 3,635

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock13 View Post
So I see this is based off the Cyanogen Mod tree. Does that mean the ROM has the same bugs as it such as bluetooth?

Didn't notice the placeholder post? I was still making the posts lol

And yes, generally it will have whatever issues CM currently has.
Retired helper

All that remains
Droid DNA
Carbon

amit_sen
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,457

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock13 View Post

Goto www.pio-masaki.com and download from there
@pio,

Really nice work man.
Using it for the last 2 days and I can say that its the smoothest ROM out there. Paired with crpalmers kernel its SWEEEEEEEEEEET.

Tapatalked from TF300T with AOKP goodness

diesburg
Old
(Last edited by diesburg; 5th June 2013 at 09:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 100
Pio is a ROM building machine! He probably dreams about code and bug fixes...lol
Websites going down at 3am CST for update and backup...only be down about 20 mins

Updates and backup done. Websites up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Check out these android websites I host! http://pio-masaki.com and http://android-files.com Need file hosting for your ROMs? Email jeff@diesburg.info .
The Following User Says Thank You to diesburg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Epic 4g
Old
Thanks Meter 97
pio/guys,

I just want to ask, since I have to wait until my battery charges before I flash... How are you liking this ROM compared to PAC/Revolt? Also since it's CM10.1 based it should have all multi-touch issue fixed right? ( I would hate to flash & find out my kid can't play his Gunman Clive again, that would mess him up. lol )

Also I read that maybe we should keep the STOCK Kernel on this ROM instead of using the AOSP Kernel. Did I read right or misunderstand?

pio, you are the Gandalf of the HTC Droid DNA, you indeed are working some sweet magic.

THANK YOU! Ohh and like everyone is saying..... Get some REST!