Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Sign 4.4.2 Bootloop | TWRP Hangs + Phone Hangs on Samsung Custom Screen

OP fafinaf

26th January 2014, 11:36 AM   |  #1  
fafinaf's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 122
 
310 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
As I have frequently done without issues, I was flashing a ROM and got stuck into some sort of bootloop.

Here are some details..

I was on a 4.4.2 KitKat ROM (Gummy Nightly) and decided to try out SlimKat 4.4.2. I wiped (advanced wiped System, Data, Cache and Dalvik Cache). I proceeded to flash the ROM and then the gapps file. Nothing out of the ordinary.. I rebooted and noticed I was at the samsung custom screen for a little longer than normal.. I didn't begin to worry too much because sometimes this screen can appear for a little bit before continuing when first booting into a fresh ROM install. Well.. quite some time passed and it became apparent that it wasn't going to go any further, I restarted the phone and consistently got stuck. I tried booting into TWRP and couldn't/can't get past the TWRP Blue Loading screen. I tried letting it sit for a long ass time (1 hour +) and same with regular rebooting at the Samsung Custom screen (1-2 hours +) with no luck or change.

I have a backup but can't get to it obviously. I'm quite frustrated and am confused/worried about attempting any drastic measures because all of the different phone versions/bootloader discussions/issues. I don't want to mess up the phone by bricking it or something when trying to flash the wrong file. I believe that right now the only thing I can do, if anything, is connecting my phone to my computer via a usb cable and running that ODIN program? I'd be inexplicably grateful and appreciative if someone can just give me some steps/instructions so that I can get my phone back up and running. I'm without a phone right now and am stressed out, so I'm hoping that I haven't made too many people upset with me if there's already somewhere this is answered. I searched but can't find someone with the exact variables my situation contains.

To Recap:
Phone will not progress past samsung custom warning screen as well as TWRP Blue Logo screen no matter how much time passes (Have let sit at either screen for hours)

Was flashing SlimKat nightly (the most recent two days ago) coming from Gummy nightly (1-12, I believe).

The samsung custom screen comes up and then the phone reboots 2 seconds later and comes up again etc..

I never had to use 'safestrap' or whatever. When I got my s4, I was able to avoid the update and was always able to flash ROMs without any worry or concerns.

Please XDA, Help me out here.. I'm completely stressed and worried and don't know where to go from here.. What files to I manually push from my computer.. I don't see how I can solve this without a computer because recovery wont load and ROM won't either
26th January 2014, 02:22 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Holmdel
Thanks Meter: 22
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Can you plug it into a pc and get Odin to see it? If so, you can odin back to your stock firmware and start over.
The Following User Says Thank You to a.demarco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th January 2014, 02:41 AM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Wink I am having this same problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.demarco

Can you plug it into a pc and get Odin to see it? If so, you can odin back to your stock firmware and start over.

Hey I am having the same problem after trying to flash the latest version of hyperdrive, and my phone got stuck on the Samsung custom screen and I'm not able to get back into recovery even. I saw what you said and plugged my phone into my pc to see if odin could see it, but odin didn't recognize it and I even tried on Kies and it wasnt able to connect to my device either. Is there anything else I can do? or any solution?

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
Last edited by ccert; 27th January 2014 at 02:48 AM.
27th January 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #4  
markanthonyjohn's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 5
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
This happened to me several times when i was using Gummy a few weeks back. I just kept doing battery pulls and restarting and was eventually able to get into TWRP. Try this some more and then odin.....
28th January 2014, 09:26 AM   |  #5  
fafinaf's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 122
 
310 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
I have been trying to get it working with your advice of battery pulls but no luck. I have downloaded ODIN and installed and also downloaded the two tar files (the kernel and pre-source kernels). I *think* it's good news that ODIN/computer DOES see/recognize that my s4 is connected and disconnected. The issue I'm having is that when flashing the kernel, it does the first green bar and says PASS but the phone restarts and enters the bootloop (it restarts right into the Samsung Custom screen and will stay for a minute and restart again and again)..

I feel like I'm so close but so far away... I know that there's someone reading this that may have the solution or advice to help me get on my way.

I'm still without a phone and I know that there is certainly no one else to blame for my situation then myself but regardless, I would like to see this problem solved! I have a backup on my external sd and there's obviously no way to get to it since my phone won't actually let me into the recovery. The blue TWRP screen just hangs...

Please HELP!!! what can I do????
28th January 2014, 09:39 AM   |  #6  
Member
Flag San Luis, CO
Thanks Meter: 19
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccert

Hey I am having the same problem after trying to flash the latest version of hyperdrive, and my phone got stuck on the Samsung custom screen and I'm not able to get back into recovery even. I saw what you said and plugged my phone into my pc to see if odin could see it, but odin didn't recognize it and I even tried on Kies and it wasnt able to connect to my device either. Is there anything else I can do? or any solution?

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

I'm having your same problem, except mine was with RLS 13.
28th January 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #7  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,273
 
4,298 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafinaf

I have been trying to get it working with your advice of battery pulls but no luck. I have downloaded ODIN and installed and also downloaded the two tar files (the kernel and pre-source kernels). I *think* it's good news that ODIN/computer DOES see/recognize that my s4 is connected and disconnected. The issue I'm having is that when flashing the kernel, it does the first green bar and says PASS but the phone restarts and enters the bootloop (it restarts right into the Samsung Custom screen and will stay for a minute and restart again and again)..

I feel like I'm so close but so far away... I know that there's someone reading this that may have the solution or advice to help me get on my way.

I'm still without a phone and I know that there is certainly no one else to blame for my situation then myself but regardless, I would like to see this problem solved! I have a backup on my external sd and there's obviously no way to get to it since my phone won't actually let me into the recovery. The blue TWRP screen just hangs...

Please HELP!!! what can I do????

Just picked up an mdk s4 which was doing the same thing. I odin back to stock and booted into the phone to make sure everything was good. Then I went back into odin and flashed the md2 pre release kernel then booted again into stock and proceeded to use motochopper.

You shouod have 3 files. The mdk tar file and the two kernel files. Worked like a charm for me you sure you're doing the steps correctly?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Also when mine was doing that it was TWRP 2.5.0 and I threw the newest TWRP on after rooting and its much faster rebooting .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
28th January 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #8  
Mightycaptain's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Morganton, NC
Thanks Meter: 380
 
862 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafinaf

I have been trying to get it working with your advice of battery pulls but no luck. I have downloaded ODIN and installed and also downloaded the two tar files (the kernel and pre-source kernels). I *think* it's good news that ODIN/computer DOES see/recognize that my s4 is connected and disconnected. The issue I'm having is that when flashing the kernel, it does the first green bar and says PASS but the phone restarts and enters the bootloop (it restarts right into the Samsung Custom screen and will stay for a minute and restart again and again)..

I feel like I'm so close but so far away... I know that there's someone reading this that may have the solution or advice to help me get on my way.

I'm still without a phone and I know that there is certainly no one else to blame for my situation then myself but regardless, I would like to see this problem solved! I have a backup on my external sd and there's obviously no way to get to it since my phone won't actually let me into the recovery. The blue TWRP screen just hangs...

Please HELP!!! what can I do????

How are you trying to get into recovery?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Power + home +volume up. Then as soon as the phone cuts on let go of Power. Continue to hold the other 2.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th January 2014, 12:10 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag Newark
Thanks Meter: 158
 
438 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightycaptain

How are you trying to get into recovery?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Power + home +volume up. Then as soon as the phone cuts on let go of Power. Continue to hold the other 2.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You don't have to to finger Olympics on s4 like other devices... Just vol up and power

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesd1085 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes