Originally Posted by mulletchild2
stock and rooted would be fine to me unless you have a better suggestion.... I'm very new at this...the only reason i undertook this endeavor is because my soft keys stopped working and most of those "home key" apps only work when you're rooted.
I'm sorry I'm so dumb at this...but do I install CWM to my phone or to my computer?
You can flash it to your phone, but it isn't necessary... if all you want is stock and rooted, know that I am back in front of a computer and not on limited to Tapatalk on my phone, I will walk you through it. I recommend TWRP though, I am familiar enough with CWM mod to do it on my own, but not to instruct someone (Do not type the quotation marks themselves unless I say otherwise)
1) Download the latest TWRP from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1902381
2) Unzip the file and copy the recovery.img file from the ZIP to the same directory as fastboot/adb
3) Download the ROM image from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154
4) Open the ZIP with 7Zip (or your favorite ZIP tool) and extract the file called boot.img and place it in the fastboot/adb directory as well (we may or may not need it, depends how this goes for you)
5) Place a copy of the ROM zip file on the root of your microSD card
6) Power up into Hboot (the bootloader) by pressing POWER+VOL DN until the screen comes up
7) Select and start FASTBOOT and connect the USB cable, there should now be a red bar over FASTBOOT USB
8) Open a command window in your fastboot directory
9) Type "fastboot devices" (without quotes) and press enter, the system should respond with your devices serial number, if it doesn't... STOP and report back here
10) Type "fastboot boot recovery.img" and wait for TWRP to start on the phone
11) Go to Wipes -> Advanced and select everything except the external SD and execute it
12) Go back to the top menu
13) Select Install and select the ROM image and flash, wait for it to let you know it's complete
14) Reboot and be patient... first boot on a new ROM can take a significant amount of time, give it a good 15 minutes.
Remember you do not have to flash ANY recovery image to your phone, this is only needed once S-OFF and returning to locked, you can always boot a recovery image via fastboot.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (KitKat 4.4.2 KOT49H/GoPhone)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Beanstalk 4.4.2-247
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket