5,593,458 Members 36,941 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC Rezound stuck on white screen....

Tip us?

mulletchild2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] HTC Rezound stuck on white screen....

My HTC Rezound is stuck on the HTC white screen. The bootloader is unlocked, but i wasn't able to finish the rooting process before I got this white screen. Can someone walk me through what I need to do? I can get to the HBOOT menu, but not sure what I need to do from here. Other threads said I need to re-lock the bootloader if I'm still in S-ON...but not entirely sure. Thanks.

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 342

DONATE TO ME
How did you try to root?

You probably dont have a boot.img anymore... I would flash a ROM and its boot.img

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk ROM Official)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (CarbonROM KitKat)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

mulletchild2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
How did you try to root?

You probably dont have a boot.img anymore... I would flash a ROM and its boot.img

I used a walk through on the unlockr website to root the rezound. I got to the part where you unlock the bootloader but then I gave up for the night and decided to do the rest the next day....but never got a chance...

Would you be able to explain how to flash a ROM and its boot.img? I'm sort of an amateur here..haha...I can get the phone into HBOOT and then get it into recovery mode...but not sure what to do from here....Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated!

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 342

DONATE TO ME
Ok, i will backup... Download recovery and flash first, then use its file browser to see if you still have a ROM. Most likely you will have to flash a ROM, and when S-ON requires you to extract the boot.img and flash it manually.

Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

mulletchild2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Does clockworkmod work for the recovery ROM?

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 342

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletchild2 View Post
Does clockworkmod work for the recovery ROM?
CWM or TWRP are custom recovery applications that allow you to flash ROM image zip files. You will need to select a ROM to flash as well. Place a copy of the recoveryXXX.img file in your fastboot directory. The next step will depend on the answer to my next question...

Did you have a certain custom ROM in mind or do you just want to be stock & rooted?

mulletchild2
Old
(Last edited by mulletchild2; 2nd February 2014 at 12:52 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
CWM or TWRP are custom recovery applications that allow you to flash ROM image zip files. You will need to select a ROM to flash as well. Place a copy of the recoveryXXX.img file in your fastboot directory. The next step will depend on the answer to my next question...

Did you have a certain custom ROM in mind or do you just want to be stock & rooted?

stock and rooted would be fine to me unless you have a better suggestion.... I'm very new at this...the only reason i undertook this endeavor is because my soft keys stopped working and most of those "home key" apps only work when you're rooted.

I'm sorry I'm so dumb at this...but do I install CWM to my phone or to my computer?

acejavelin
Old
(Last edited by acejavelin; 2nd February 2014 at 04:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 342

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletchild2 View Post
stock and rooted would be fine to me unless you have a better suggestion.... I'm very new at this...the only reason i undertook this endeavor is because my soft keys stopped working and most of those "home key" apps only work when you're rooted.

I'm sorry I'm so dumb at this...but do I install CWM to my phone or to my computer?
You can flash it to your phone, but it isn't necessary... if all you want is stock and rooted, know that I am back in front of a computer and not on limited to Tapatalk on my phone, I will walk you through it. I recommend TWRP though, I am familiar enough with CWM mod to do it on my own, but not to instruct someone (Do not type the quotation marks themselves unless I say otherwise)

1) Download the latest TWRP from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1902381
2) Unzip the file and copy the recovery.img file from the ZIP to the same directory as fastboot/adb
3) Download the ROM image from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154
4) Open the ZIP with 7Zip (or your favorite ZIP tool) and extract the file called boot.img and place it in the fastboot/adb directory as well (we may or may not need it, depends how this goes for you)
5) Place a copy of the ROM zip file on the root of your microSD card
6) Power up into Hboot (the bootloader) by pressing POWER+VOL DN until the screen comes up
7) Select and start FASTBOOT and connect the USB cable, there should now be a red bar over FASTBOOT USB
8) Open a command window in your fastboot directory
9) Type "fastboot devices" (without quotes) and press enter, the system should respond with your devices serial number, if it doesn't... STOP and report back here
10) Type "fastboot boot recovery.img" and wait for TWRP to start on the phone
11) Go to Wipes -> Advanced and select everything except the external SD and execute it
12) Go back to the top menu
13) Select Install and select the ROM image and flash, wait for it to let you know it's complete
14) Reboot and be patient... first boot on a new ROM can take a significant amount of time, give it a good 15 minutes.

Remember you do not have to flash ANY recovery image to your phone, this is only needed once S-OFF and returning to locked, you can always boot a recovery image via fastboot.

Enjoy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mulletchild2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
You can flash it to your phone, but it isn't necessary... if all you want is stock and rooted, know that I am back in front of a computer and not on limited to Tapatalk on my phone, I will walk you through it. I recommend TWRP though, I am familiar enough with CWM mod to do it on my own, but not to instruct someone (Do not type the quotation marks themselves unless I say otherwise)

1) Download the latest TWRP from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1902381
2) Unzip the file and copy the recovery.img file from the ZIP to the same directory as fastboot/adb
3) Download the ROM image from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2260154
4) Open the ZIP with 7Zip (or your favorite ZIP tool) and extract the file called boot.img and place it in the fastboot/adb directory as well (we may or may not need it, depends how this goes for you)
6) Power up into Hboot (the bootloader) by pressing POWER+VOL DN until the screen comes up
7) Select and start FASTBOOT and connect the USB cable, there should now be a red bar over FASTBOOT USB
9) Type "fastboot devices" (without quotes) and press enter, the system should respond with your devices serial number, if it doesn't... STOP and report back here
10) Type "fastboot boot recovery recovery.img" and wait for TWRP to start on the phone
11) Go to Wipes -> Advanced and select everything except the external SD and execute it
13) Select Install and select the ROM image and flash, wait for it to let you know it's complete
14) Reboot and be patient... first boot on a new ROM can take a significant amount of time, give it a good 15 minutes.

Remember you do not have to flash ANY recovery image to your phone, this is only needed once S-OFF and returning to locked, you can always boot a recovery image via fastboot.

Enjoy
This is awesome acejavelin...thank you again
I'm going to attempt to do this now...stand by...haha

mulletchild2
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

10) Type "fastboot boot recovery recovery.img" and wait for TWRP to start on the phone

Enjoy
The ROM image is going to take 9 hours to download, is this the correct file?