5,599,842 Members 46,712 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q&A][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10 (JellyBean) Nightly Discussions

Tip us?

dr4stic
Old
(Last edited by dr4stic; 10th November 2012 at 12:04 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 730

DONATE TO ME
Sign [Q&A][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10 (JellyBean) Nightly Discussions

This phone is not my daily driver, and I'll do as much as I can, but I also have a day job

I would appreciate all discussion stay to this thread, and I'd love it if there were some community self-help.

State of the Union (for the Blaze 4G) (2012-11-05)

Current state of the ROM. This likely applies to any of the ROMs using the kernel sources coming from CyanogenMod for this device.

The device mostly works as it should. There are some problems currently people are having with this phone, and I will detail those here:

1) First and foremost, the Screen of Death. This is a problem that isn't only occuring to us. Just a couple of days ago I asked what the status was and the answer is that they have no idea. Some think it's specific to our platform (msm8660, which we share with a number of other phones), except that I've experienced it on other platforms, like my S3. Some think it's related to the display, except that not all the devices on this platform use the same display. Because of the randomness and lack of verbosity in the bug, they don't have a way of getting any useful data on it. dmesg and logcats are pointless. They are working hard trying to find it, but keep in mind that it isn't just us.

2) Saving pictures somewhere other than local storage. Yes, you should be able to save to your SD card. I think this is coming sooner rather than later. The following patch popped up over the weekend and adds in the functionality: http://review.cyanogenmod.com/25848. The Q&A responses to it look good. I suspect it'll go through a revision or two once they work out the bugs and then it'll get incorporated.

3) Saving app data somewhere other than the local storage. While I'm looking into it and talking to officials, I'm fairly confident that this behavior won't change in the official CM builds. Some of the other CM derived roms may allow this, and you should probably look there to solve this problem. The sad thing fact that our devices shipped with 1.2 GB of internal storage. I don't know why Samsung hates us so much, but they do. And therefore, the default behavior for CM is bad for those of us that want to game. Some users have reported success using an app called Directory Bind. I haven't used it and can't vouch for it, however it looks like it'd let you point specific directories from your internal storage to a space on your external storage. This is definitely safer than the mount swapping ideas that have been going around.

4) BLN isn't 100% unbuggy. Yes, BLN is buggy. BLN is the Button Lights Notifications. As of 11/10 we are on the official CM cypress-touchkey driver. However it seems there's still a bug there. Occasionally if you unlock during a notification, the lights won't come on. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

5) Camera Flash won't disable. This is unfortunate. Apparently if you tell the camera to disable flash, it simply won't do it. It's towards the bottom of my list, but it is definitely there.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that CyanogenMod version 10 is a moving target. Lots of stuff is happening, and until it's labeled as "stable" (and probably even for some time after that), we will continue to experience bugs.

Thank you
Google Nexus 4 (T-Mobile)
ROM:CM10.1 Nightly, CWM v6.something
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dr4stic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dr4stic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 730

DONATE TO ME
Reserved for future posts...

Bulletblitz27
Old
(Last edited by Bulletblitz27; 6th October 2012 at 06:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 73
Won't boot. I'll try again...

Edit: Okay second boot worked.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

2vivid
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Boots fine for me been using it all morning so far so good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using xda app-developers app

dr4stic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 730

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletblitz27 View Post
Won't boot. I'll try again...

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
Make sure to check the MD5 sum of your download(s). Make sure you wipe dalvik, and do a factory/data reset from CWM. It might also help to format /system.

I used this ZIP in my last install and it has worked fin for me so far... I've actually found it to be fairly stable...

dr4stic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 730

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vivid View Post
Boots fine for me been using it all morning so far so good.

How has the data seemed? The "regular" stuff seemed to work great for me, but since I don't use this phone on a regular basis I don't know how to judge the 3/4g performance.

Also, I'd love to hear about maps performance (GPS, compass, etc).

I know I'm opening a can of worms by asking about this stuff (everyone will be hyperaware of things that never bothered them before), but it's useful to know as feedback.

2vivid
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Data seems normal to me. GPS and compass seem to be working fine for me also.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2vivid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Animosity
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Do the nav bar buttons take much off of the screen?

dr4stic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 730

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimsonChin View Post
Do the nav bar buttons take much off of the screen?

I almost think they look better. But I believe the screen just squishes up a little bit.. check out the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-06-13-14-13[1].jpg
Views:	794
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1381032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-06-13-14-55[1].jpg
Views:	727
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1381033  

badboy68
Old
Thanks Meter 31
So the regular touch buttons will not work anymore, mines doesn't, how do I fix tht

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T769 using xda premium