Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,664 Members 42,720 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cannot seem to root/unlock my SGH-T769

Tip us?

bartock
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down Cannot seem to root/unlock my SGH-T769

I'm a little lost here.

Phone specs
  • Android 2.3.6
  • SGH-T769

I want to root/unlock the phone.

I followed this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1919228

Then I pop out the T-Mobile SIM card and insert the StraightTalk SIM card -

However, when I follow this procedure, I still get the 'Enter Network Unlock Code'

What am I doing wrong? The reason I ask - I have another phone of the same spec, but I updated the Android OS to v 4.0.4 and it worked like a charm.

Silly question - but is the above procedure ONLY for Android v4.0.4? Can anyone shed some light for me? I'm clueless. I don't wanna screw up my wife's phone.

Thanks - G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhoneSpecs.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2524825  

taodan
Old
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartock View Post
I'm a little lost here.

Phone specs
  • Android 2.3.6
  • SGH-T769

I want to root/unlock the phone.

I followed this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1919228

Then I pop out the T-Mobile SIM card and insert the StraightTalk SIM card -

However, when I follow this procedure, I still get the 'Enter Network Unlock Code'

What am I doing wrong? The reason I ask - I have another phone of the same spec, but I updated the Android OS to v 4.0.4 and it worked like a charm.

Silly question - but is the above procedure ONLY for Android v4.0.4? Can anyone shed some light for me? I'm clueless. I don't wanna screw up my wife's phone.

Thanks - G
You need to contact T-Mobile for the unlock code and you posted in the wrong place. It should be in Q&A.
DISCLAIMER: Click the button at your own risk! I am not responsible for your mistake.

~!~ Backup Phone: Nexus One ~!~
  • HBOOT: Latest Blackrose S-off
  • Recovery: Amon_RA v2.21
  • ROM: ICS AOKP Milestone 5
  • Kernel: Tiamat & Shaky156 ICS 03142012
  • SD Card: 16GB
~!~ Acer Iconia A500 Tablet ~!~
  • Recovery: CWM rev1.7 by Thor2002ro
  • ROM: CM10 JellyTime 4.1.2
  • Kernel: 2.6.39.4+
  • SD Card: 8GB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taodan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xWolf13
Old
Thanks Meter 537

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by taodan View Post
You need to contact T-Mobile for the unlock code and you posted in the wrong place. It should be in Q&A.
Don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but he did post in the right section. The Blaze doesn't have a Q&A
----------HIT THANKS IF I HELPED----------

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xWolf13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bartock
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Still Unlocking Woes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taodan View Post

Hey - so, here is what I've done. I've brought this thing back to the T-Mobile stock image.

I'll admit - I'm a little lost.

Questions:

1. Do I need to upgrade the firmware to root/unlock this device?
2. if no, can someone perhaps point me to a thread as the only one I can seem to locate is the unlock for v4.0.4
3. if yes, I seem to have changed something and Kies will not let me update it.
4. also, if yes, I am wondering if I can update it using Odin.

Thanks for your help!

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20140125-144609.png
Views:	29
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2538813  

xWolf13
Old
Thanks Meter 537

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartock View Post
Hey - so, here is what I've done. I've brought this thing back to the T-Mobile stock image.

I'll admit - I'm a little lost.

Questions:

1. Do I need to upgrade the firmware to root/unlock this device?
2. if no, can someone perhaps point me to a thread as the only one I can seem to locate is the unlock for v4.0.4
3. if yes, I seem to have changed something and Kies will not let me update it.
4. also, if yes, I am wondering if I can update it using Odin.

Thanks for your help!

G
Rooting and unlocking are two different things. Rooting is more like freedom to what you do on your phone, like mod and tweak it. Unlocking on the other hand is to use on any carrier you wish to use it on. To unlock there is a guide somewhere in this forum (which you should be able to find).
----------HIT THANKS IF I HELPED----------

tommyboy8125
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Unlocking guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2400915
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyboy8125 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bartock
Old
(Last edited by bartock; 28th January 2014 at 02:06 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Wink Unlocking and rooting - two different things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy8125 View Post
Hey! Thanks much for all of your suggestions. However, I need to tell you that I was the one that phoqued it up!

It was my wife's phone - SGH-T769.

Like I had said in a previous post, I was getting a 'network unlock code' - sigh.

I followed the exact procedure - to the letter - double, and triple checked my work . Still getting a 'enter network unlock code'

She came home Sunday afternoon, I was still fiddling around with it. She looked at me and said ".....do you think maybe it's a bad SIM card..? I'm not technical, but you've tried it on two phones of the same make/model..."

I looked at her like "...holy ****e..." - I looked closely at what I was doing. Guess what?

When you purchase the Straight Talk kit, there are 4 SIM cards in there - two micro/nano SIMs and two standard sized ones. The one that worked for my SGH-T769 was the orange SIM card - I was trying to use the gray one with hers.

This, my fellow Nerds, is what is known as an Epic Failure on my part - one for the Wall Of Shame for me. My wife has a degree in Criminal Justice and I have a degree in Comp Sci and Mech Eng. I guess skoolin' can mean absolutely nothing sometimes!

Problem solved - thanks to my wife - I think I'm gonna keep her around. Girls don't have the killer instinct and perverted mind that us guys do, so their brains can function a little more clear than ours can.

The frustrating thing - she is right 9.5 times out of 10. I just have to accept in lots of aspects that she is smarter than I am.

Thanks Bugs - Love ya!