Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,048 Members 45,635 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM11-M3 (ART) mini review

Tip us?

subashchandran
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up CM11-M3 (ART) mini review

I'm on M3 (milestone) build of CM11 and here's my super short review for ppl who are contemplating to flash this and use ART runtime.
- Make sure you use BaNKs gapps, the CM gapps and PA gapps have problems when using ART runtime.
- PA gapps will cause Maps force close on google now (when you pull down to update)
- Enable ART runtime well before you start installing other apps.
- If you use Exchange PIN disable mod from xposed and cannot live without it (like me) heres the trick.. as soon as you flash, install xposed - enble the framework - reboot - install exchange pin disable v 1.6 - enable module and reboot. Now uninstall xposed framework (there is a button inside xposed app to do this - this step is very important without doing this and just removing the app wont help) and optionally uninstall the xposed app too. This will retain the pin disabling and you can now revert to ART, and you will not be auto changed to dalvik as xposed is no longer installed.
- ART is friggin awesome.. overall fluidity is very very good and i have been getting amazing battery life.. see attached screenshot, more than a day with 30% still left (couple of cycles after i did battery calibration). Data/Sync/GPS Always ON and network in LTE-preferred mode
- RAM usage seems to be better, almost 150-200MB lesser on average (with same amount of apps)

CM11-M3 as such doesnt have the problems of M2, where the device stops/shuts-down sometime and you have to hold the power key to boot again - this problem seems to be fixed. Another improvement is that the device runs much less hot compared to M2.
If you want to use ART and need a daily driver : CM11-M3+BanksGapps is the way to go for E970
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-18-11-56-48_20140218_115737.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	2587154  

an0maly13
Old
Thanks Meter 10
How much screen time though?

AlainFarqy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
is this available for lg og e970? if so can you provide a link to download please

optimusv45
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainFarqy View Post
is this available for lg og e970? if so can you provide a link to download please
Its just cm ...man. Its in Original Android Development section

subashchandran
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2571625

apwillis
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Is there a huge downside to switching after I've installed apps?

DeathmonkeyGTX
Old
Thanks Meter 514
Just be plugged into charger if you enable art with a bunch of of apps already installed. It'll take a while and suck your battery down like a fat kid chugs a milkshake.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
E970 synergy CodefireX 4.2.2

optimusv45
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by apwillis View Post
Is there a huge downside to switching after I've installed apps?
Not really, contacts on your Google or whatever account and apps can be backed up and restored

dbjungle
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I did a dirty flash from CM 10.2 to CM 11. When I enabled ART, my phone just rebooted but it didn't upgrade. I am using CM GApps also. My phone appears noticably faster, but when I go back to Dev Options it shows my current runtime as Dalvik. I'm wondering if I am somehow using ART and Dalvik. Is there any way to confirm your runtime from terminal emulator?

Sent from my LG-E970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sirius_gamer
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Should I activate ART before flashing gapps?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk