Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help with Hard Brick Sprint SPH-L710 GS3 please.

Tip us?
 
Saafir
Old
(Last edited by Saafir; 29th January 2014 at 07:24 PM.)
#1  
Saafir's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 178
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Help with Hard Brick Sprint SPH-L710 GS3 please.

Hey guys, so running 4.3 MK3 on the GS3 (OTA) I made an idiotic mistake and ran EZ-Unlock and believe it has corrupted the boot loader. I've poked around for about 3 days and haven't found anything that shows a sign of life for this phone. It does get a Red LED when you pull the battery and plug it in and dissipates after about 30 seconds. Cannot get into Download/Recovery. Odin will not recognize the phone. I would like to avoid a visit to Sprint so thus said.. I reach out to you all for some help. Any ideas? I have yet to go purchase a Class 10 SD Card and try that method.. Do you guys think this would work?
 
joeyhdownsouth
Old
#2  
joeyhdownsouth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 165
Posts: 750
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Creole State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saafir View Post
Hey guys, so running 4.3 MK3 on the GS3 (OTA) I made an idiotic mistake and ran EZ-Unlock and believe it has corrupted the boot loader. I've poked around for about 3 days and haven't found anything that shows a sign of life for this phone. It does get a Red LED when you pull the battery and plug it in and dissipates after about 30 seconds. Cannot get into Download/Recovery. Odin will not recognize the phone. I would like to avoid a visit to Sprint so thus said.. I reach out to you all for some help. Any ideas? I have yet to go purchase a Class 10 SD Card and try that method.. Do you guys think this would work?
May or may not work, only other option is JTAG service. You may have a repair shop around your area or you can search for JTAG repair on ebay.
G2(Sprint)-stock
G3(Sprint)-stock
Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM:C-rom/KERNEL:dkp-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Galaxy S5(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:M.O.A.R.-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Moto G(unlocked to CellularOne)-ROM/KERNEL:LiquidSmooth-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
 
Saafir
Old
#3  
Saafir's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 178
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth View Post
May or may not work, only other option is JTAG service. You may have a repair shop around your area or you can search for JTAG repair on ebay.
I'm going to get the SD card most likely in the morning. I did see a thread of other people successfully recovering from the same thing I did, so I am hoping this will work for me. I can verify a Class 2 won't work, lol. Worst comes to worst I will JTag it. I just don't want to take it to Sprint and have them work me over for it being Rooted and so forth.. If they would even be able to get it to Recovery or Download Siggghhhh
 
joeyhdownsouth
Old
#4  
joeyhdownsouth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 165
Posts: 750
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Creole State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saafir View Post
I'm going to get the SD card most likely in the morning. I did see a thread of other people successfully recovering from the same thing I did, so I am hoping this will work for me. I can verify a Class 2 won't work, lol. Worst comes to worst I will JTag it. I just don't want to take it to Sprint and have them work me over for it being Rooted and so forth.. If they would even be able to get it to Recovery or Download Siggghhhh
I have successfully unbricked 2 phones with the sd method, but that was before the whole KNOX thing came about. JTAG is your best bet. Do you have any local repair shops around? They may have the capability of doing this, as it requires soldering wires to the motherboard, and reflashing the bootloader.
G2(Sprint)-stock
G3(Sprint)-stock
Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM:C-rom/KERNEL:dkp-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Galaxy S5(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:M.O.A.R.-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Moto G(unlocked to CellularOne)-ROM/KERNEL:LiquidSmooth-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
 
Saafir
Old
#5  
Saafir's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 178
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth View Post
I have successfully unbricked 2 phones with the sd method, but that was before the whole KNOX thing came about. JTAG is your best bet. Do you have any local repair shops around? They may have the capability of doing this, as it requires soldering wires to the motherboard, and reflashing the bootloader.
I am not sure about Repair shops capable of doing such around here.. I'm sure they will want a hefty chunk of change. Yeah, this KNOX junk is really funky. I know I made a boob of a mistake and all, but sheesh. I'm crossing my fingers the SD Method will work. I did find a guy fairly cheap on EBay I sent a message to and he seems confident JTag is the way to go... $28.00 usd. I am so iffy about sending it out to a random third party tho, but I guess at this point what do I have to lose?
 
joeyhdownsouth
Old
#6  
joeyhdownsouth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 165
Posts: 750
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Creole State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saafir View Post
I am not sure about Repair shops capable of doing such around here.. I'm sure they will want a hefty chunk of change. Yeah, this KNOX junk is really funky. I know I made a boob of a mistake and all, but sheesh. I'm crossing my fingers the SD Method will work. I did find a guy fairly cheap on EBay I sent a message to and he seems confident JTag is the way to go... $28.00 usd. I am so iffy about sending it out to a random third party tho, but I guess at this point what do I have to lose?
I forgot about the USB jig way, but then again its like the sd method, may or may not work. Read about it HERE.
G2(Sprint)-stock
G3(Sprint)-stock
Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM:C-rom/KERNEL:dkp-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Galaxy S5(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:M.O.A.R.-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Moto G(unlocked to CellularOne)-ROM/KERNEL:LiquidSmooth-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
 
Saafir
Old
#7  
Saafir's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 178
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth View Post
I forgot about the USB jig way, but then again its like the sd method, may or may not work. Read about it HERE.
I attempted to make a USB Jig, hacked up 2 cords to no avail. Just ordered a Jig off EBay. Should be here by the 4th or before. Still going to try the SD method whenever I drag my dead arse to WallyWorld. It's kind of some nasty weather here in Ohio so I hate to be out on the roads without a life line! lol
 
FascinatedBot
Old
(Last edited by FascinatedBot; 30th January 2014 at 03:06 AM.) Reason: add info
#8  
FascinatedBot's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Default Bricked & Frustrated

I have fixed my hard-bricked Sprint SGS3 without J-Tag and I have recently flashed using the same updated file and hard-bricked again! I cannot for the life of me figure out why the drivers are not installing correctly, therefore, ODIN dos not recognize my phone. WHY? Please don't bother replying with J-Tag as my only option. I am using Windows Vista and Windows 8 on another pc....In response, I flashed the MK3 updated sprint firmware via CWM from 4.2 Rom (cannot remember which one at the moment) and the battery was dying, I plugged in the battery and at the same moment the phone went black. The only indication of life is a red light comes on when I plug the phone in wihtout the battery.... Not a great explanation but it's the best I can do
 
Saafir
Old
#9  
Saafir's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 178
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FascinatedBot View Post
I have fixed my hard-bricked Sprint SGS3 without J-Tag and I have recently flashed using the same updated file and hard-bricked again! I cannot for the life of me figure out why the drivers are not installing correctly, therefore, ODIN dos not recognize my phone. WHY? Please don't bother replying with J-Tag as my only option. I am using Windows Vista and Windows 8 on another pc....
Could you be a bit more specific as to what happened?
 
Saafir
Old
(Last edited by Saafir; 30th January 2014 at 04:07 AM.) Reason: side note.
#10  
Saafir's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 178
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saafir View Post
I attempted to make a USB Jig, hacked up 2 cords to no avail. Just ordered a Jig off EBay. Should be here by the 4th or before. Still going to try the SD method whenever I drag my dead arse to WallyWorld. It's kind of some nasty weather here in Ohio so I hate to be out on the roads without a life line! lol
The phone is being recognized by Odin 1.85 as Com 3.. But I am still not able to get to Download Mode.. Might anyone have any ideas as to what to do from here? </3

(side note) Still no success with Odin. Am off to get the SD Card now. Will report back with (Hopefully) positive results later tonight.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes