Ubuntu touch for Nexus 7 2013!!

Search This thread

sgs9

Nov 10, 2010
Essen
garudalinux.org
thx, I do that, on landscape, nothing, will test again later on other direction :)

07.03.14: fine, work only on portrait.

Last edited:

russiandivxclub

Feb 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't see a daily build with flo in the name.

Is there a tutorial on how to install UT on flo from scratch ? I do see on WiKi main installation procedures, but it's universal syntax. Anyone can write step by step specifically made for flo with latest build available ?

And another think multirom using r206 , is that Feb 6 release or how do they do this numeric thing ?

Thanks !

cesarmanilla

Feb 23, 2013
Thank you all who made this available tested with multirom booted fine WiFi Bluetooth all working installed xda app all working just graphic glitches in recently run applications ,keyboard working fine ft or me ,can't wait for this to be updated

Sent From My Nexus 7 flo Using TapaTalk Pro

How did you install the xda app? When I try it asks for my Ubuntu account but the Accounts option in system settings doesn't work for me

droidshadow

Dec 28, 2012
about the two files?...

I am so excited about this project!! Thank you so much to the developers who took this project on and got it working?...

Ubuntu Touch was one of the main reasons that I decided to purchase my Nexus 7 tablet -> model FLO.

Okay so i have a couple of questions...

First there seems to be some problems with people not being able to get Ubuntu Touch to load. They reported having issues with black screens; was this due to having an older version of MultiROM?

I installed MultiROM on my tablet through the MultiROM Manager app from the Google Play Store. Would you say that is okay, or should I go about installing multirom from the official xda thread?

Second:

What are the two files used for? Now i see that there is one zip file -> ubuntu-touch-4.4.2-system-armel+fl.zip and then there is a second. Now i am guessing that the touch-4.4.2-system-armel+fl.zip is the kernel since it was only 61MB's?

And i would guess that the second zip is the actual zip image for Ubuntu Touch...So for installation would we boot into Multi-ROM then go to add roms, add the ubuntu touch zip, then flash the kernel to the ubuntu touch zip?

If someone could elaborate a bit on the installation steps for getting ubuntu touch installed on the Nexus 7 FLO tablet i would really appreciate it!

Thank you all for your time and your assistance.

I hope to hear from someone soon, I can't wait to try this out!

-droidshadow

droidshadow

Dec 28, 2012
keeping my fingers crossed!

Okay so i think i have this figured out...

I am transfering the ubuntu files from my computer to my tablet as we speak and then i am going to try flashing Ubuntu Touch with TWRP Recovery Manager + MultiROM. If all goes well (i really hope) i will report back. If all does go well i will be writing a small tutorial with detailed steps on how to install Ubuntu Touch.

***UPDATE***

Well i have done it! I was finally able to get Ubuntu Touch installed on my Nexus 7 2013 32GB WiFi Only Model FLO Tablet!!!

You see...when I first learned about things like Ubuntu Touch and Pwn Pad (penetration testing rom for nexus 7) -> www.pwnieexpress.com it inspired me to get the Nexus 7 tablet. I first started off getting the N7 2013 Model FLO and then I decided to purchase the Nexus 7 2013 LTE model DEB tablet from Verizon. On my FLO tablet i now have my stock (internal ROM with lots of mods) + Kali PwnPad + Ubuntu Touch. Everything I have ever wanted to do to my Nexus 7 I have finally done today! This is such a great day...i am very happy as you can see!

Now as far as my other Nexus 7 32 GB model DEB tablet I have the ROM from the great guys over at www.pwnieexpress.com which is the 2014 Pwn Pad CE ROM. Has anyone heard anything about Ubuntu Touch becoming available for the Nexus 7 DEB models yet?

So as promised I am currently working on writing up a simple tutorial on how to install Ubuntu Touch onto your Nexus 7 FLO tablet to help others that may be a bit hesitant because they don't feel comfortable (technical wise) to flash Ubuntu Touch. I do promise you that it is not that hard. I will cover everything in my small tutorial, from rooting your tablet, installing TWRP recovery, installing MultiROM, flashing the kexec-patch, and then finally flashing Ubuntu Touch.

Now for those of you who have been having issues with black screens, I think it might have to do something with not having the kexec patch flashed onto your internal ROM. I am not sure how this would affect Ubuntu Touch since I don't think that they actually share the same kernel, but I did have my internal (stock) Nexus 4.4.2 ROM flashed wit the kexec-patch and I didn't have any problems installing Ubuntu Touch. And...i do in fact remember reading somewhere that you did need to have the internal/stock ROM flashed with the kexec-patch in order to use Ubuntu Touch. I am not sure if that still applies to Ubuntu Touch now, but it seemed to work great for me. I would love it someone else could clarify this for me a bit more...

Personal Note:

You know what is funny...two days ago I actually ordered the First Generation Nexus 7 32GB WiFi Only Model Grouper tablet from Ebay because from the research that I had done, that seemed to be the only tablet that seemed to work with decent stability with Ubuntu Touch. That is how serious and motivated I was about getting Ubuntu Touch installed!!

I am so happy to finally have this onto my tablet, and I can't wait to play with it now and see exactly what I can do with this system! So....give me a few hours to play with Ubuntu Touch so i can mention PRO's and CON's about the system in my upcoming tutorial!

Well that is it for now! I am off to play with Ubuntu Touch! I can't thank the developers enough for never giving up on this project, I know from the reading that I have done that it was NOT EASY in the beginning and I know this must have taken a lot of their personal time to have this project come to life. Thank you developers, you know who you are and we all owe you so much. Long Live the Open Source Community!

-droidshadow

Last edited:
Reactions: Martini293

droidshadow

Dec 28, 2012
ubuntu touch...stability issues?

Hello everyone, so for those of you who are actually using Ubuntu Touch I just wanted to know how you are doing with stability and what you think of the overall feel of the ROM.

Okay so one issue I seem to keep having is that every single time I start or restart Ubuntu Touch I am constantly having to enter my wifi key for my home Fios Internet system . Is anyone else having this issue?

Second apps seem to be running very slow and a lot of times i can't get them to even open up or have the apps perform like they should. For example I wanted to enter my login credentials for "Ubuntu One" but when i would click on the input box to enter my email address and password i couldn't get the virtual keyboard to come up...I ended up having to close the app several times and get the keyboard to show up.

Third...I can't seem to set my correct timezone or my correct time. Ubuntu Touch says that it is around 3AM but for me it is around 8:30PM. I am in the Southern California area, and I can't get the correct time to be displayed.

Fourth...I can't seem to get the terminal emulator to work correctly. Even when i try simple things like "which <command>" to verify that a certain command is installed, the Terminal just hangs and does nothing.

Last comment...has anyone seen an Ubuntu Store App? I don't know if I am just blind but I can't seem to find an Ubuntu Store app!? I would love to be able to add/purchase apps for Ubuntu Touch but I don't think I have this app on tablet?

Okay so here is just some of the small issues that I seem to be running into....I want you all to know that I am not complaining. I am VERY happy to have Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7 tablet but I just want to try and get the most out of it so I can customize it to my personal settings for a more enjoyable use. I know this project is in the development stage, so I am only posting this response to see if any other people here on XDA are having these same issues with Ubuntu Touch and maybe as a team we can all figure out a way to resolve these problems!

Thanks again everyone...and I hope to hear from someone soon!

-droidshadow

AarSyl

A little off topic; @droidshadow, you have an awesome avatar! It had me scrolling up and down for a minute before I noticed what was going on. Kudos.

For those who do not know what I mean... Look at this thread on an actual PC, and you will see the avatar darken as it gets closer to the top of the screen. I viewed it using Opera.

Last edited:

Government

Feb 18, 2014
almost there...

The last update to trusty touch is nearly there by my standards. I believe it is numbered 250 in multirom. I've left touch on for two days straight and having much less bugginess. Still not able to install synaptic and does not appear to have access to "Ubuntu" yet, or I guess canonical is more accurate. Updates are working very smooth now for me, wallpaper still kind of a bear to get changed and system customization is almost nonexistent. I'm hooked though, I'm looking forward to every update. Only thing I wish from this project is that they would go for more a Linux feel instead of droid feel, mini PC vs. Mobile device feel if ya follow me. But maybe with synaptic and some ui tweaks, one could get the custom feel.

droidshadow

Dec 28, 2012
ubuntu touch updates?...

Hey everyone...

So i was just wondering if there are actual updates happening to Ubuntu Touch? The developer preview i installed was fun but I would love it to see what it can fully become. Does anyone know if this project is still being worked on?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated...

-droidshadow

matt4321

Retired Senior Moderator - The Real Matt
Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
Hey everyone...

So i was just wondering if there are actual updates happening to Ubuntu Touch? The developer preview i installed was fun but I would love it to see what it can fully become. Does anyone know if this project is still being worked on?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated...

-droidshadow

It is still being developed. I'm on Ubuntu Touch rev302 which was released 6 days ago. check here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NWliMmV1YUJ3Zk1pQlpDdGp4VFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

lastdroid

May 10, 2014
Ubuntu Touch on Nexus 7 2013 only 2 Cores?

Hi,
I've recently installed ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7 v2 (quadcore..) via Multiboot.
The output of the "nproc" command in Ubuntu Terminal only shows 2 Cores.
Maybe anyone here has more details about CPU usage of Ubuntu Touch on Nexus 7 2103 ?!

ImCoKeMaN

Jan 8, 2007
Is there a way to ensure I have the latest version of Ubuntu Touch if I am installing via recovery? I may be a minority but I don't want to root my primary rom to use the Multirom App as then I can't use the tablet with my work email since they check for root. So far Multirom recovery and the custom kernel have been working fine, but I'd like to keep Ubuntu touch up to date.

I see the instructions from here:
https://github.com/Tasssadar/multirom/wiki/Using-MultiROM
This mentions a link to the cdimage files as zip files from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled/current/ , but when following the link they are .img and .tar.gz files.

Do these need repacked somehow?

Last edited:

ImCoKeMaN

Jan 8, 2007
Is there a way to ensure I have the latest version of Ubuntu Touch if I am installing via recovery? I may be a minority but I don't want to root my primary rom to use the Multirom App as then I can't use the tablet with my work email since they check for root. So far Multirom recovery and the custom kernel have been working fine, but I'd like to keep Ubuntu touch up to date.

I see the instructions from here:
https://github.com/Tasssadar/multirom/wiki/Using-MultiROM
This mentions a link to the cdimage files as zip files from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled/current/ , but when following the link they are .img and .tar.gz files.

Do these need repacked somehow?

I have installed a second rooted android rom and installed the multirom app there in the meantime. This allowed me to get the newest Ubuntu touch build which is working better and the stock rom still isn't rooted.

I would still like to learn how to do this manually even if it takes some work on my part. Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ootofthebox

Jun 10, 2014
I wonder is it stable already for Nexus 7 ? I just got my Nexus 7 2013 today since it's my first Android phone, still researching on this forum. I'm quite excited with Ubuntu Touch, I am using Ubuntu on PC and would like to use it on my phone too. Any info about apps for working, or I've to multiROM to support my office apps ?

Nov 14, 2013
Looking for some direction.
want to put Ubuntu on my N7 2013 using multi-ROM.

Questions are?
My kernel does not have the patch, what is compatible with Carbon Nighty 0609? That wont kill it.

Also currently running CWM recovery.
I knew I need to change it to Multi-Rom's TWRP.
will doing that wipe my device?

Or can I use Recovery Switcher to flash TWRP.

No access to a PC or Mac to use ADB or FastBoot to push anything.

Boot loader unlocked, rooted.

just looking for some ideas without killing my N7.

nexus 7 2013 on Carbon Nighty 06/09/2014

yofife2069

Sep 12, 2012
Looking for some direction.
want to put Ubuntu on my N7 2013 using multi-ROM.

Questions are?
My kernel does not have the patch, what is compatible with Carbon Nighty 0609? That wont kill it.

Also currently running CWM recovery.
I knew I need to change it to Multi-Rom's TWRP.
will doing that wipe my device?

Or can I use Recovery Switcher to flash TWRP.

No access to a PC or Mac to use ADB or FastBoot to push anything.

Boot loader unlocked, rooted.

just looking for some ideas without killing my N7.

nexus 7 2013 on Carbon Nighty 06/09/2014

Just download MultiRom Manager from the play store. You can do all you want to do from the app. It will not wipe your device. Pick the patched kernel that matches the version of android you are running. It will install their modded version of twrp. And you can also install Ubuntu from the app. May want to do a nandroid first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: maliciousintent
Nov 14, 2013
Just download MultiRom Manager from the play store. You can do all you want to do from the app. It will not wipe your device. Pick the patched kernel that matches the version of android you are running. It will install their modded version of twrp. And you can also install Ubuntu from the app. May want to do a nandroid first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
So in multi-roms install window witch kernal should I use that will not kill CarbonRom nighty 06/09/2014.

when referencing my installed kernal and the list in the installers drop down list there is no match.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally Ubuntu touch has come for Nexus 7 2013. (flo) :laugh:
    It is still in progress. Just flash it to take the taste of Ubuntu Touch!!
    Full credit goes to @Tasssadar for his awesome work!

Note- It is only compatible with Multirom.

Installation
    1. Update to MultiROM v21a or newer- http://d-h.st/bPS
    2. Go to recovery, Add ROM -> select Ubuntu Touch -> Next
    3. Two files - one is device specific, second is the Ubuntu Touch system:
    Device-specific file- http://d-h.st/3ss
    (mirror)- http://goo.im/devs/Tassadar/utouch
    System file (this one is from ogra with MIR fixes): http://people.canonical.com/~ogra/ubuntu-touch/ubuntu-touch-4.4.2-mir.rootfs-armhf.zip
    Ubuntu touch needs 2GB space. :p

Hit thanks button if it works for you!! :victory:
    So, the download link for the "armhf.zip" file that's ~458 MB keeps failing, no matter what device I attempt the download on, tablet or desktop computer. Would this be a suitable replacement? I don't think it has the Mir fixes, as it's probably not by the same user, and it's from 01/30, whereas the "~ogra" version is from 02/06.

EDIT: Just realised that this is the same as @paolorotolo's link. Never mind!

EDIT again: And that one failed, too. Huh?!

Here is the link from the op
    http://people.canonical.com/~ogra/ubuntu-touch/

Says its last updated feb 6th but apparently has fixes in it

This is the more or less official link I think
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled/pending/
    (The link that has no device specific name,
    trusty-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip)

Its updated nightly (2/19 is latest) but may not include whatever fixes the other one does. In either case they both seem exactly as buggy to me.

Make sure multirom is up to date because the latest update fixed black screen on boot issues
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    So, to fix black screen issue, you've to replace the "bigger one" with this: http://d-h.st/NL6
    It's not the upgraded version but we have to use it until they fix the bug.
    How to Fix the Black Screen with Ubuntu Touch on the 2013 Nexus 7

Hi everyone!

The official way to fix the black screen after booting Ubuntu Touch for the first time on the 2013 Nexus 7 (flo) is as follows:

1. Make sure you have Ubuntu Touch booted (i.e. the black screen appears after the Google logo disappears).
    2. Connect the Nexus to your computer via USB (if it isn't already).
    3. From your computer (that has the Android ADB tools installed), run:
      Code:
      $ adb shell
      # touch /home/phablet/.display-mir

Ubuntu Touch should immediately appear. If it doesn't, reboot; the Ubuntu Touch lock screen should appear after the Google logo disappears.

Credit to Oliver Grawert (ogra in #ubuntu-touch on Freenode) of the Ubuntu Touch project for providing these instructions to the developers.

SonikkuAmerica
    Go to this topic: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2457063 post #410. Have you given this a shot? Let me just say, when you get it working, it is awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Here is my updated video. **UPDATED**Nexus 7 2013 (Flo) Ubuntu Touch

Give this a shot. Good luck!