Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 36,420 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S4/Note 3/Mega - Update Profile/PRL/HFA Fix for Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile/etc

Tip us?

AlpineMan
Old
(Last edited by AlpineMan; 12th April 2014 at 07:56 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
Default Galaxy S4/Note 3/Mega - Update Profile/PRL/HFA Fix for Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile/etc

Please DO NOT QUOTE this post in your reply. Just post your questions or comments if you have any. I DON'T CHECK OR RESPOND TO PM'S.

Proof of Concept:
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4's & Note 3's that have been flashed to Sprint legacy accounts such as SERO or Sprint MVNO's such as Boost, Virgin Mobile, Ting, etc. suffer from the fact that you can't launch Update Profile / Update PRL unless the phone has been previously activated in a Sprint LTE account. If the phone has been factory reset using ##786#, the user will also lose the ability to run Update Profile/PRL. As a side effect, you will also get a Hands Free Activation nag each time you turn on/reboot your phone. Disabling/freezing certain apk's to fix the HFA nag unfortunately breaks the phone's ability to run Update Profile & PRL as well. The fix below gets rid of the HFA nag and enables Update Profile & PRL on flashed Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 & Note 3 phones.

If you'd like to thank me, please click on the "Thanks" button instead of posting a thank you note. Let's save storage and bandwidth. And please, please, please...DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST IN YOUR REPLY JUST TO THANK ME! Again for those who don't know me, I do not accept personal donations. Instead I encourage you to donate to the American Cancer Society, to your local church, or any other not for profit charities.

What good is running Update Profile anyway?
1) This will automatically correct your MDN and MIN settings on your phone if they were flashed incorrectly.
2) This will automatically correct the Profile 1 (or Profile 2) username and AAA key to get your 3G working.

This fix assumes the following:
1) You have a rooted phone. I've only tested on a TouchWiz-based rooted ROM (Sacs Custom ROM based on Android 4.3 on the S4 and stock rooted 4.3 on the Note 3). Post #44 reports that this doesn't work on Android 4.4.2.
2) You have access to another Sprint Galaxy S4 or Note 3 in which Update Profile/PRL already works. Let's call this phone "SOURCE". In theory once you have the appropriate files from "SOURCE", you can use these same files over and over.
3) You're looking to get Update Profile/PRL to work on another phone that is already flashed to Sprint (or Sprint MVNO). This will not work for any other provider! Let's call this phone "TARGET".
4) You have a spare microSD card to transfer files between "SOURCE" and "TARGET" phones.
5) You have flashed your "TARGET" phone's MDN and MIN using DFS, CDMA Workshop, etc.
6) You have flashed your "TARGET" phone's Profile 0 and Profile 1 using DFS, CDMA Workshop, etc.
7) Profile 0 must be accurately flashed. Profile 1's username can be flashed using a bogus value such as "johndoe@sprintpcs.com" if you do not know the actual username.
8) If you removed/disabled/froze system apk's / apps in your phone to get rid of the Hands Free Activation nag previously, make sure you put these back in their original state.
9) You have the ability to reflash your S4 or Note 3 back to Boost, Ting, Virgin Mobile, etc. in case your flash gets wiped out cuz you didn't follow the directions closely.

Steps to fix Update Profile / Update PRL: (idea is to copy SOURCE phone's /carrier directory to TARGET phone)
1) Use a root-enabled file explorer app such as Root Explorer or ES File Explorer to backup the /carrier directory from your "TARGET" phone to a microSD card.
2) Rename this /carrier folder in the microSD card to something like /carrierBackup.
3) Use the file explorer app to copy the /carrier directory from your "SOURCE" phone to the microSD card as well. Insert this microSD card to your "TARGET" phone.
4) Copy the contents of /carrier directory from microSD card to your "TARGET" phone. Overwrite the files that may already exist in your "TARGET" phone's /carrier directory.
5) Reboot the "TARGET" phone.
6) Run "Update Profile" or "Update PRL".
7) Done.

OR...Instead of doing steps 3 and 4, simply use ES File Explorer to unzip contents of attached carrier-GS4.zip OR carrier-Note3.zip file in /carrier so that the files/folders would look like the attached screen shots.

Pay attention to the content in the screenshots as well as file/folder permissions to make sure they match!

WARNING: DO NOT USE WINDOWS TO COPY/EXTRACT FILES TO/FROM PHONE. IT WILL OMIT THE HIDDEN FILE CHAMELEON.HASH. YOUR BOOST/TING/VIRGIN MOBILE/ETC FLASH WILL GET WIPED OUT IF THE CONTENTS OF YOUR /CARRIER FOLDER DON'T MATCH THE SCREENSHOTS BELOW.

Reboot the phone and perform an Update Profile.

The screen shots attached are contents of /carrier folder of "SOURCE" Sprint Galaxy S4 phone.

Give it a try and let me know if it worked for you and what phone(s) you used.

If you'd like to thank me, please click on the "Thanks" button instead of posting a thank you note. Let's save storage and bandwidth. And please, please, please...DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST IN YOUR REPLY JUST TO THANK ME! Again for those who don't know me, I do not accept personal donations. Instead I encourage you to donate to the American Cancer Society, to your local church, or any other not for profit charities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-28-15-36-20.jpg
Views:	4157
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	2546162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-28-15-36-32.png
Views:	3386
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	2546164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-28-15-36-47.png
Views:	3093
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	2546165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-28-15-36-55.jpg
Views:	3034
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	2546166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-28-15-37-02.jpg
Views:	2906
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2546167  

Attached Files
File Type: zip carrier-GS4.zip - [Click for QR Code] (18.0 KB, 854 views)
File Type: zip carrier-Note3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.64 MB, 949 views)
File Type: zip carrier-Mega.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.8 KB, 236 views)
Flash Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S3, S2 to Sprint, SERO, Boost, Virgin Mobile: CLICK HERE

MMS Fix for Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S3, S2 on Sprint, SERO, Boost, Virgin Mobile: CLICK HERE

Update Profile/PRL/HFA Fix for Sprint Galaxy Note 3 and S4 flashed to Sprint, SERO, Boost, Virgin Mobile: CLICK HERE
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to AlpineMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AlpineMan
Old
(Last edited by AlpineMan; 29th May 2014 at 12:51 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):

Q: My phone is already rooted. How do I configure ES File Explorer to show hidden files and allow writes to system partition?
A: Do the following:
1) Install the latest version of ES File Explorer from the Play Store. Launch it.
2) On the upper left hand corner, there's a blue icon that looks like a phone superimposed on a globe. Click on that icon.
3) Expand the Tools section.
4) Scroll down and find "Show hidden files". Turn that on.
5) Scroll down and find "Root Explorer". Turn that on.
6) Grant root access.
7) Press on the word "Root" on "Root Explorer".
8) Choose "Mount R/W"
9) Look for "/system" and choose "RW"
10) Press OK button.
11) Done.

Q: I have just done a ##786# or ##7286# to factory reset the phone. The Update Profile fix didn't work for me. Are there extra steps I need to do?
A: Yes! Read post #1. See "This fix assumes the following:". Read assumption #5, 6, 7, and 8!
Flash Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S3, S2 to Sprint, SERO, Boost, Virgin Mobile: CLICK HERE

MMS Fix for Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S3, S2 on Sprint, SERO, Boost, Virgin Mobile: CLICK HERE

Update Profile/PRL/HFA Fix for Sprint Galaxy Note 3 and S4 flashed to Sprint, SERO, Boost, Virgin Mobile: CLICK HERE
The Following User Says Thank You to AlpineMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AlpineMan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
reserved #2

The Following User Says Thank You to AlpineMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AlpineMan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
reserved #3

ecs87
Old
Thanks Meter 496
You're the man. I've been looking for a Note 3 HFA loop fix. Figured since the carrier partition got corrupted on the Sprint Note 2 phones that it'd be doing the same on the Note 3.

Is there any chance of posting a zip with the carrier partition/folder? Or is there sensitive information in there?

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!
If I or others have helped you out, don't forget to hit the Thanks button for us!

AlpineMan
Old
(Last edited by AlpineMan; 29th January 2014 at 04:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs87 View Post
You're the man. I've been looking for a Note 3 HFA loop fix. Figured since the carrier partition got corrupted on the Sprint Note 2 phones that it'd be doing the same on the Note 3.

Is there any chance of posting a zip with the carrier partition/folder? Or is there sensitive information in there?

Sent from my SPH-L900. Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out!
I believe there are a couple or so sensitive info in the properties.db when I took a look at it using SQL Lite. I'll see if I can change the values a bit to make it more generic. I'm thinking though that the .chameleon.hash is an MD5 hash of the entire contents of /carrier. If a file is changed manually, the hash won't match and it won't work. In fact to see if this is the case, I put a different .chameleon.hash yesterday just to play around with it. After I rebooted the phone, MDN, MIN, and Profile 1 got wiped out and I had to reflash the phone again. The /carrier folder also got reverted back as if you did a ##786# on the phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlpineMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AlpineMan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 723
I just attached carrier.zip in the first post. Enjoy.

Unzip contents of zip file in /carrier so that the files/folders would look like the attached screen shots in the first post.

Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlpineMan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sofocused504
Old
Thanks Meter 15
The .zip method alpine man posted worked like a charm man thank you this will save some flashers alot of time
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sofocused504 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

davidl1986
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMan View Post
I just attached carrier.zip in the first post. Enjoy.

Unzip contents of zip file in /carrier so that the files/folders would look like the attached screen shots in the first post.

Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks.
Thanks so much for uploading the carrier zip. You saved my phone! It mostly worked, in that after ##72786# and then entering my mdn and msid I was able to finally get my s4 on boost to update my prl and profile. However, it is still trying to do the hfa and has not completed that. And every time I reboot it tries to activate. Also, I now have data back, but only 1x. When I was on the phone with Boost last night they said there might be some problems in my area, so all of the remaining issues might be due to that. I will post an update if/when something changes.

In any case, thank you so much for saving my phone!
The Following User Says Thank You to davidl1986 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

E-POUND
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Genius pure genius!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The Following User Says Thank You to E-POUND For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]