Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 46,946 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Android location services and GPS

Tip us?

fterh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Android location services and GPS

Hi guys, I know that some people say to disable location services and/or GPS because they drain the battery (under Android system in battery usage). I just want to clarify. I came from an iPhone, and on the iPhone I leave location and GPS on, but as long as the app is closed, the GPS will NOT run (just that its functionality remain on) so there is no drain.

Is this the same on Android? Is it okay to leave them on but not run any location-based apps?

fterh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Bump...

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
It'll constantly bounce the GPS signal AFAIK, so will use it up. buuuut, on 4.4.2, you can edit your location preferences GPS accuracy etc and it tells you battery use on it. However I believe it's on perma unless you disable it totally
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I wouldn't be so sure. I have GPS, WIFI, BT and all other crap 24/7 and I loose about 3% charge over about 7hrs sleep, personally I don't think it's worth bothering or lifting my finger to shut it off. Also when I drive I see my correct location on the map, after screen goes off and I need to check again few min later, the map shows my last location and it takes few seconds to update to new one. If it was working with screen off it should have been updated right away, no? At least it's working in some low power mode. I think what really kills the battery is all those push services like e-mail etc, especially when not set properly, but the best way is to test yourself.

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by fterh View Post
Hi guys, I know that some people say to disable location services and/or GPS because they drain the battery (under Android system in battery usage). I just want to clarify. I came from an iPhone, and on the iPhone I leave location and GPS on, but as long as the app is closed, the GPS will NOT run (just that its functionality remain on) so there is no drain.

Is this the same on Android? Is it okay to leave them on but not run any location-based apps?

Technically 100% the same.

However for practical reasons things are not quite the same - as long as you have many, many apps and your data (WiFi and/or Mobile) active certain apps will try to connect from time-to-time, and some will try to get a location. Unfortunately Google Services is one of those, and an older version of that was generating a really huge amount of power consumption. The problem is reported to be a lot better now but I can not confirm since I am anyway keeping my data connections OFF for most of the time when I am not really using those.
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7

fterh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclub_101 View Post
Technically 100% the same.

However for practical reasons things are not quite the same - as long as you have many, many apps and your data (WiFi and/or Mobile) active certain apps will try to connect from time-to-time, and some will try to get a location. Unfortunately Google Services is one of those, and an older version of that was generating a really huge amount of power consumption. The problem is reported to be a lot better now but I can not confirm since I am anyway keeping my data connections OFF for most of the time when I am not really using those.
I guess this is one of the few things that iOS is better than Android at - managing how apps run. I use Greenify to freeze inactive apps, but the limitation is that I will not receive push notifications. On iOS apps are frozen yet push notifications are functional (that's ironically the downside of iOS too - no true multitasking). I don't disable my data connections because I want my push notifications, but I do turn off GPS. :/

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
I guess this is one of the few things that iOS is better than Android at - managing how apps run.
Well, when coming from a situation when there was absolutely no multitasking at all (and that was successfully sold as a "feature" for quite some time) I can really see that being easier

Quote:
I use Greenify to freeze inactive apps, but the limitation is that I will not receive push notifications.
I think the latest Greenify PRO version has something to improve that too. But I will have to test a lot more to see the real limits of that.
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7