Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,360 Members 53,546 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Changing the Verizon Boot Animation Sequence?

Tip us?

godhamba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Default Changing the Verizon Boot Animation Sequence?

With S-OFF, I imagine this is possible. Has anyone done so?

Frankie1588
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhamba View Post
With S-OFF, I imagine this is possible. Has anyone done so?
Yeah, you can do this. I use the Google Edition HTC One boot animation. Just Google it and you can find the file. Simply rename it bootanimation.zip and place it in /system/media. Make sure you replace the bootanimation.zip currently in there to something else such as bootanimation.bak. You might have to change permissions to rw-r-r as well.
Current Devices:
HTC One M8 (Verizon): ViperOne
Nexus 7 (1st Gen): VanirAOSP

Previous Devices:
HTC One M7 (Sold)
Motorola Droid Bionic

godhamba
Old
(Last edited by godhamba; 14th October 2013 at 12:50 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
my /system/media doesn't have an existing bootanimation.zip. Nevertheless I placed that file in that location, set permissions and the stock Verizon animation still showed. Now I'm stumped. Pulled the file from HERE, trying both a manual addition as well as flashing the flashable zip provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1588 View Post
Yeah, you can do this. I use the Google Edition HTC One boot animation. Just Google it and you can find the file. Simply rename it bootanimation.zip and place it in /system/media. Make sure you replace the bootanimation.zip currently in there to something else such as bootanimation.bak. You might have to change permissions to rw-r-r as well.

jaydubbs
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhamba View Post
my /system/media doesn't have an existing bootanimation.zip. Nevertheless I placed that file in that location, set permissions and the stock Verizon animation still showed. Now I'm stumped. Pulled the file from HERE, trying both a manual addition as well as flashing the flashable zip provided.
Are you running a Sense rom? If so, the boot animations are located in System-Customize-Resource. There are two that you need to replace, one for booting up, vzw_bootup.zip, and one for shutting down, hTC_downamination.zip.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

godhamba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
A ha! Thanks and thanks to @andybones who helped me out via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubbs View Post
Are you running a Sense rom? If so, the boot animations are located in System-Customize-Resource. There are two that you need to replace, one for booting up, vzw_bootup.zip, and one for shutting down, hTC_downamination.zip.

Lexworth
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:

Hmm... I did this and for some reason the boot animation wasn't replaced but the down animation works fine. Side note, does the boot sound in that folder play for anyone else?

HTC One s-off

IceDragon59
Old
Thanks Meter 211
On the stock HTC ROM, to change the boot animation, you have to change two files in 'system/customize/resource/' : "htc_bootup_one.zip" and "vzw_bootup.zip" (capitalization matters). They both have to be replaced with fully functional boot animations. When I changed mine, it wouldn't work if I just changed one or the other, I had to change both.

On the stock HTC ROM, to change your down animation, you have to replace "hTC_downanimation.zip" (capitalization matters) in '/system/customize/resource/' with a functioning down animation.

On custom ROMS, you have to look to find where it's at. Sometimes it's in 'system/media' named "bootanimation.zip", sometimes it's not. Remember, it has to be a functioning replacement, otherwise it will show the stock ANDROID boot animation.

Current phone: T-Mobile HTC One (M8) - Gunmetal Gray
S-OFF
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0

Retired phones: HTC One, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE

Droid Incredible 4G LTE FAQs
Droid Incredible 4G LTE Tips and Tricks
Droid Incredible 4G LTE Resource Index

jaydubbs
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragon59 View Post
On the stock HTC ROM, to change the boot animation, you have to change two files in 'system/customize/resource/' : "htc_bootup_one.zip" and "vzw_bootup.zip" (capitalization matters). They both have to be replaced with fully functional boot animations. When I changed mine, it wouldn't work if I just changed one or the other, I had to change both.

On the stock HTC ROM, to change your down animation, you have to replace "hTC_downanimation.zip" (capitalization matters) in '/system/customize/resource/' with a functioning down animation.

On custom ROMS, you have to look to find where it's at. Sometimes it's in 'system/media' named "bootanimation.zip", sometimes it's not. Remember, it has to be a functioning replacement, otherwise it will show the stock ANDROID boot animation.
Actually, you don't have to replace the htc_bootup_one.zip. You can rename it to .bak and replace or do the same to the vzw_bootup.zip and it will work. I actually removed my htc_bootup_one.zip and replaced the vzw one and everything works fine. Probably helps that the boot up animation I use was made for the One variants that don't have anything to do with Verizon :P

IceDragon59
Old
Thanks Meter 211
Quote:
Actually, you don't have to replace the htc_bootup_one.zip. You can rename it to .bak and replace or do the same to the vzw_bootup.zip and it will work. I actually removed my htc_bootup_one.zip and replaced the vzw one and everything works fine. Probably helps that the boot up animation I use was made for the One variants that don't have anything to do with Verizon :P
That's very odd. Now that I try it without the "htc_bootup_one.zip", it works, but it didn't when I originally replaced it. Very, very odd.

Current phone: T-Mobile HTC One (M8) - Gunmetal Gray
S-OFF
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0

Retired phones: HTC One, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Droid Incredible 4G LTE

Droid Incredible 4G LTE FAQs
Droid Incredible 4G LTE Tips and Tricks
Droid Incredible 4G LTE Resource Index

brholt6
Old
(Last edited by brholt6; 22nd October 2013 at 01:40 PM.) Reason: Extra info
Thanks Meter 153
I grabbed a flashable boot animation (including audio) from the HTC One section and was finally able to get the animation to work after messing with the .xml file. Tried to throw the audio in with it and couldn't get it to work...I'm on Bonestock and noticed there wasn't any audio with the regular boot animation...could it be the Rom? Volume is up btw.

To get a better idea of what I did I'll include the tread. I wasn't able to flash, so I had to manually replace/rename the files in my system/customize/resource folder and then change the name for the boot animation in the .xml file. I tried to follow the steps to get the audio file included as well, but it just reverted to a basic android boot animation when I attempted that.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2357926

If there's not a solution, its not a big deal...I'm probably overlooking something. Thanks guys!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using xda app-developers app