[Q] Update Galaxy Note 2 with TWRP without losing FoxFi

Tip us?

kalyanamitras
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Update Galaxy Note 2 with TWRP without losing FoxFi

Greetings:
I own a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 S. I rooted it and used TWRP which is running along with superuser and busy box. Still the stock ROM though and I am happy with it that way.
The latest OTA update was pushed out and every 5 days the device asks me to update or defer. I have tried updating several times but it always begins the process then TWRP opens after going through the opening screens and it says the update failed.
I did some reading and learned that if I accept this update I will lose Foxfi, which I use heavily. (I work for a school system that does not let us use the wireless, so I use my device as my hotspot.

Can anyone help me? I would either : a. like to accept the update while keeping the root and Fox Fi. Or b. Stop the update notices. (It's also weird because I was asked to set up a lock screen password and can't figure out how that happened. I'd like to remove it too since it's such a huge pain in the butt.

Is there any way to use TWRP to take the OTA update and still keep root and Fox Fi capability?

Device info: Android VErsion 4.1.2 Baseband i605VRAMC3 Kernel 3.0.31-4144933 se.infra@SEP-112#1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 28 13:34:23 KST 2012 Build Number JZO54K.I605VRAMC3

I am no where near tech savy enough to know what any of the above means, so would appreciate someone helping me!
Thanks

nikhil.kdhand
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I must say that this is so far not possible....You can try 4.3 rom released by beans.... It's the same except the knox and locked bootloader.

Thanks,

Nikhil k Dhand
Chat: Nikhil.kdhand@gmail.com
Thanks,

Nikhil Dhand
Chat: nikhil.kdhand@gmail.com

bigmike35
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyanamitras View Post
Greetings:
I own a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 S. I rooted it and used TWRP which is running along with superuser and busy box. Still the stock ROM though and I am happy with it that way.
The latest OTA update was pushed out and every 5 days the device asks me to update or defer. I have tried updating several times but it always begins the process then TWRP opens after going through the opening screens and it says the update failed.
I did some reading and learned that if I accept this update I will lose Foxfi, which I use heavily. (I work for a school system that does not let us use the wireless, so I use my device as my hotspot.

Can anyone help me? I would either : a. like to accept the update while keeping the root and Fox Fi. Or b. Stop the update notices. (It's also weird because I was asked to set up a lock screen password and can't figure out how that happened. I'd like to remove it too since it's such a huge pain in the butt.

Is there any way to use TWRP to take the OTA update and still keep root and Fox Fi capability?

Device info: Android VErsion 4.1.2 Baseband i605VRAMC3 Kernel 3.0.31-4144933 se.infra@SEP-112#1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 28 13:34:23 KST 2012 Build Number JZO54K.I605VRAMC3

I am no where near tech savy enough to know what any of the above means, so would appreciate someone helping me!
Thanks
If I was you, I would not accept the update. I would install the newest TWRP from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2045829

Then I would make a back up of your current ROM. Then download a 4.3 ROM from here, (If you want the purest stock it would be Beans Rom that he posted, stock, rooted, no knox stuff). Also, download the Wifi/Modem MJ9 package he posted. Wipe clean x3, then install his 4.3 ROM, then boot to make sure it works, reboot into download mode, Open Odin 3.07, check the PDA box, the select file to place into PDA box (MJ9radio.tar), hit go, wait for it to finish and say pass. The wipe clean again x3, then boot into rom and your baseband for say MJ9 and Build Number should say 4.3. To make sure the MJ9 modem was accepted, you will have service and WIfi will work. If not you will see "Unknown Baseband"

Beans Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578458
Casual Root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2272066
Guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2024207
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 -CM11 | MJ9 Baseband | Kernel: Stock | Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.1 | Daily Driver

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Tester | MJ9 Baseband | Kernel: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1 | Back-Up/Tester

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Nightly (4/4/2014) | Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0 | Wifi/Streaming Phone

Motorola Droid and Motorola Droid3 - Lost In A Water Battle | Retired

AceZ71
Old
Thanks Meter 1
To stop the OTA updater you need to rename or delete the following two files under /system/app and then reboot phone.

FWupgrade.apk to FWupgrade.bak
SDM.apk to SDM.bak