Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,233 Members 50,876 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUTORIAL] How to replace the stock Camera & Gallery with AOSP versions (ROOT)

Tip us?

lowrider262
Old
(Last edited by lowrider262; 9th January 2014 at 02:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 551
Default [TUTORIAL] How to replace the stock Camera & Gallery with AOSP versions (ROOT)

The stock camera on this phone blows as we all know. But fear not... the AOSP camera is completely compatible with our Moto G! I'll give a quick tutorial on how to replace your camera for people that are new to this. But for those of you that have been around the block, basically youre just going into system/priv-app and renaming the moto cam & gallery apk's to apk.bak, then copy/pasting the attached camera and gallery apks to the system folder, setting R/W permissions, and rebooting.

Now for the step by step... (i'll be using Solid Explorer for this example, because its free from the play store, but you can use any file exploring app you like as long as it has root access)

1. Download the zip file in the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/crpilccds5...%26gallery.zip and extract it. Inside should be two files, GalleryGoogle.apk and GoogleCamera.apk. Copy them to the internal storage of your phone.

2. Download Solid Explorer from the play store. Open it up and hit the jump button at the bottom, then device, then system root.

3. Now scroll down to the system folder, tap it and go into the priv-app folder. Scroll down till you see four files - MotCamera.apk, MotCamera.Odex, MotGallery.apk, & MotGallery.odex. For each one, hold down on it until the option to Rename it pops up, then add ".bak" to the end of each one. (example, MotCamera.odex = MotCamera.odex.bak) SuperSU should pop up asking for root access, grant it of course.

4. When youre done renaming, hit the jump button again, then device> Internal Memory. Inside should be your two files you downloaded earlier. Hit the actions button at the bottom, then select, and highlight the 2 files and hit the copy button at the bottom (the 4th one that looks like two little papers). Now hit Jump> Device> System Root and go into the system folder, then the app folder. Hit actions again and Paste.

5.Stay in the system/app folder, now find you two files you just pasted, and hold down on one of them, then tap Properties, and where it says Attributes hit change. You should only have 4 checkmarks here: Read for Owner, Group, and Other... and Write for Owner. Anything else thats checked, uncheck it. Hit ok and do the same for the other one.

6. Follow the directions in this post to fix fc's in gallery editor (thanks tazlooney89 :thumbup: ) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49263859

7. Now reboot and youre all done! Now you have a less crappy camera and a smoother gallery app!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lowrider262 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NIB0R
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I can't rename the files for backup. he sais task failed

lowrider262
Old
(Last edited by lowrider262; 8th January 2014 at 05:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB0R View Post
Sounds like an issue with root access,make sure you enabled root explorer in es settings and/or make sure your su binary is up to date

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to lowrider262 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kevin.26
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Does this camera have Google Sphere photos?

tazlooney89
Old
Thanks Meter 876

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.26 View Post
Moto G doesn't have a gyro sensor, so this is the reason why Photosphere won't ever work.
<<-------------------------------------------------------------------->>

The Following User Says Thank You to tazlooney89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lowrider262
Old
(Last edited by lowrider262; 8th January 2014 at 05:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.26 View Post
Nope, no photosphere. It does have a lot more options, like selecting MP size, scenes, and ISO.

*as a side note, part of the reason the stock Moto camera takes such crappy pics is that by default it takes pics at 3.5 MP. Uncheck the 16:9 option to get the full 5 MP :thumbup:

The Following User Says Thank You to lowrider262 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krucymucy
Old
(Last edited by krucymucy; 8th January 2014 at 06:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB0R View Post
Same here. ES has root access according to SU app, but when I try to rename it, I get task failed.

Running on 4.4.2 US retail.

lowrider262
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 551
Oops... Sorry guys, I didn't realize ES was having problems. I personally did it with Root Explorer app, but since it's a paid app I didn't want to recommend it...
But I suggest using Solid Explorer, it has a free trial version and I've tested it just now so I know it works, just follow the use basic instructions as before. I'll update the op a little later:banghead:

krucymucy
Old
Thanks Meter 14
ES File explorer, Astro File manager and Root file Manager don't work. At least not in 4.4.2.

But root browser does, and its free on google play.

Thanks for this mod.
The Following User Says Thank You to krucymucy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lowrider262
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by krucymucy View Post
ES File explorer, Astro File manager and Root file Manager don't work. At least not in 4.4.2.

But root browser does, and its free on google play.

Thanks for this mod.
Yea, it must be a thing with Kitkat, they probably havent updated their apps to be fully compatible yet. Thanks for the heads up