[TUTORIAL] How to replace the stock Camera & Gallery with AOSP versions (ROOT)
The stock camera on this phone blows as we all know. But fear not... the AOSP camera is completely compatible with our Moto G!
I'll give a quick tutorial on how to replace your camera for people that are new to this. But for those of you that have been around the block, basically youre just going into system/priv-app and renaming the moto cam & gallery apk's to apk.bak, then copy/pasting the attached camera and gallery apks to the system folder, setting R/W permissions, and rebooting.
Now for the step by step... (i'll be using Solid Explorer for this example, because its free from the play store, but you can use any file exploring app you like as long as it has root access)
1. Download the zip file in the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/crpilccds5...%26gallery.zip
and extract it. Inside should be two files, GalleryGoogle.apk and GoogleCamera.apk. Copy them to the internal storage of your phone.
2. Download Solid Explorer from the play store. Open it up and hit the jump button at the bottom, then device, then system root.
3. Now scroll down to the system folder, tap it and go into the priv-app folder. Scroll down till you see four files - MotCamera.apk, MotCamera.Odex, MotGallery.apk, & MotGallery.odex. For each one, hold down on it until the option to Rename it pops up, then add ".bak" to the end of each one. (example, MotCamera.odex = MotCamera.odex.bak) SuperSU should pop up asking for root access, grant it of course.
4. When youre done renaming, hit the jump button again, then device> Internal Memory. Inside should be your two files you downloaded earlier. Hit the actions button at the bottom, then select, and highlight the 2 files and hit the copy button at the bottom (the 4th one that looks like two little papers). Now hit Jump> Device> System Root and go into the system folder, then the app folder. Hit actions again and Paste.
5.Stay in the system/app folder, now find you two files you just pasted, and hold down on one of them, then tap Properties, and where it says Attributes hit change. You should only have 4 checkmarks here: Read for Owner, Group, and Other... and Write for Owner. Anything else thats checked, uncheck it. Hit ok and do the same for the other one.
6. Follow the directions in this post to fix fc's in gallery editor (thanks tazlooney89 :thumbup: ) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49263859
7. Now reboot and youre all done! Now you have a less crappy camera and a smoother gallery app!