Tutorial: How to unbrick/unroot Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
TUTORIAL: How to unbrick/unroot Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
First at all, sorry for my english errors, Iīm from Brazil and I read in english much better then I write.
And, considering what Iīve learned here, Iīll try to retribute with this post. So, please, disconsider my errors.
In my first day with NSTG, Iīve bricked the device when I try to unroot when I formated all partitions (with MiniTool) and write my backup file.
The problem was: I made a wrong backup file, which have only 76mb! So, at this point, I needed to recover formated partitions/data.
Some people was affraid to share their backup image beacuse it contains personal informations about the Nook. In fact, the ROM partition contains all nook info.
My conclusion was, I need to recover my ROM partiton (with all nook info) and get a image to overwite with ROM. This is my solution for bricked nook or to return to stock parameters (unroot). If you formated your NSTG accidentaly or want to unroot, this will work for you.
What it does:
Recover accidentaly formated NSTG or Unroot for those donīt have backup file.
What you will need
(I canīt post external links)
- Download Nook Simple Touch Glowlight Image (without Rom partition): goo.gl/W4OYy (280.74mb)
- Download Tools Pack: goo.gl/6ulSC (15.13mb)
- This pack contains: (if you already have, donīt need to download)
-MiniTool Partition Wizard
-Roadkil.Net - Roadkil's Disk Image
- Download noggie.img (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1577494)
- Download 7-Zip if you donīt have how to decompress .7z files (google it)
- 2 SDīs Cards (or at least 1 SD card)
I presume you downloaded all files above, unzip in a directory.
Do a backup of your Nook even if it is partial bricked!!! http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1142983
Warning: ignore this step may brick your device permanently.
-Recovering Partitions of a NSTG Accidentaly Formated:
-Writing the image:
- Write noogie.img in a SD Card with WinImage (run as Administrator)
- Insert SD in Nook and Boot ("Root Forever")
- Open as Administrator MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Select Nook drive and click in "Partition Recovery Wizard".
- Do a copy of "rom" partition to another SD card (or format noogie card and paste rom)
- Click in "Apply" (top bar in the left) and wait complete the modifications
-Writing the "rom" partition
- Open DiskImager, in "Write Image" tab select the Phisical Disk with 1.86Gb and Target file: NSTG-backup-norom.img
- Click in START and wait until complete.
This step will put the personal information back in NSTG. Your NSTG must have to booted with noogie (showing "Root Forever") and the SD with "rom" partition attached in card reader.
Open MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Copy from SD "rom" partition to the second space in nook disk (in the unlocated espace between "boot" and "factory" partitions)
If you have some size problem to paste the partition in this unlocated space, try to first resize the rom partition to 15mb and the paste (I did this and works).
2. Apply all changes.
At this point you will have a working device, but you can do a hard reset just in case (power on with two side buttons pressed).
Or, restore to factory (8 boots).