[Q] howto get USB-host on Glowlight rooted w. NookManager

Tip us?

chili23
Old
(Last edited by chili23; 24th September 2013 at 05:25 PM.) Reason: two typos
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] howto get USB-host on Glowlight rooted w. NookManager

Hi folks, I am new here - have been reading for a few months and used NookManager to successfully root/re-root 2 NST and 1 NSTGlowlight now. Huge thanks to all developers!
Being a newbie with <10 posts, I was not allowed to post in the NookManager thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2040351). So I hope my post is more or less well-placed here.

I am very happy with the functionality of the Glowlight with firmware 1.2.1 rooted with NookManager.
The rooting process is really super-easy! So if possible I'd like to stick with it.

But... now I'd like to have the USB-host functionality as well to connect a keyboard and use the Nook for "typing-in-the-sun".
I have done some research but haven't found an easy way to achieve this.
I have found a description to add USB-host to a 1.2.1 NST (without Glowlight) which had been rooted with Nookmanager here: http://lararthompson.wordpress.com/2...with-usb-host/
... but unfortunately the uImage and uRamdisk linked/described in that article had the nasty side-effect of turning my NSTGlowlight into a simple NST (without Glowlight). So I had revert to my former backup and re-root with NookManager.

So my question is: What is the best and easiest way (if any) to achieve USB-host on a NST Glowlight with firmware 1.2.1 rooted with NookManager.

Thanks for your attention and help!

sharifa036
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default same situation

Hi, I'm also new on the forum, just bought my nook simple touch, did the root (Nook manager) and cound't post in the mentioned thread either so I decided to ask here. I wanted to ask if the apps/patches from the first site of that topic are ok for my firmware version 1.2.1? And can anyone explain how to:

1) apply the .diff file? I couldn't find any tips

2) how to install the usb host switcher? When I clicked the github link (from the post) I expected some .apk files, but there are some folders and other files instead. Where to put them so that it works?

3) I don't really get this: "Meanwhile you can simply switch the mode from adb, type
Code: echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode" Where should I type it? Can it be done via cdm (windows) when I already connected my nook with the computer via wifi (and adb works fine)?

I would be really grateful for any hints. Android stuff is really not my thing, however, I would love to attach an external keyboard (I already bought a micro usb one). I have no problems following the instructions and I hope somebody will be that nice to explain it to me like I'm a child.

yeahman45
Old
Thanks Meter 59
i want to buy an NST with glowlight but does usb host works on NST with glowlight??

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 697
There is a long thread on getting USB host support to work here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457971

In short, you need a kernel (uImage) that has some fixes in it for USB host mode.
Then (currently) you need something to force it into host mode.
I use my UsbMode.apk (download in the signature).

SusanneM
Old
(Last edited by SusanneM; 27th January 2014 at 11:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Question Glowlight and USB Keyboard

Hello there,

I've been through this and similar threads ten times now looking for a solution to have my NST Glowlight together with both - Glowlight AND usb-keyboard simultaniously. Unfortunately none of the uRamdisks posted do the trick. The one for 1.1.5 doesn't help in my case either because I'm on 1.2.0 (?)

So status as of todate is: I can either run the keyboard or have the lights on, depending on what uRamdisk is currently installed. I could live with that if I could take that solution outside into the sun, but:

bad girl is out playing until its dark and now wants to read a book, having no lightbulb near and having left home the laptop (with ADB to push uRamdisk for the light switch) and the Nook is running on the uRamdisk for the keyboard.

I'd like to ask now if there's the possibility to keep 2 uRamdisks on my Nook and switch them with RootExplorer or anything similar - but I can't find the uRamdisk anywhere on my Nook so I could just overwrite it. There's no boot - which might be good for girls like me who have no respect for the gadgets boot partitions But is there any (simple) way to make that partition visible using some (simple) tool that is on the Nook ? And then is it safe to just overrite that file and reboot ? Actually it shouldn't be any different from pushing the file via PC and do a restart, right ?

Would be so great if someone could help me, or was even still working on that problem of having an external keyboard working without losing the Glowlight. You guy's are doing such great work in providing people with more freedom to do what they want to do. So thank you so much, for all the information here !

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 697
No, you probably don't want to deal with two separate uRamdisk's.
(Ok, you could keep one bootable system on SD card and one internal, but that's a hassle.)

There should be a NG1 (Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, the black case) uImage with support for glowlight and USB mode.
Unfortunately there are so many uImage/uRamdisk floating around that I've lost track.

The Following User Says Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SusanneM
Old
(Last edited by SusanneM; 29th January 2014 at 03:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default uImage and uRamdisk

Found it. Can hardly believe it. Thought I really had tried them all. Thanks Renate for your reply. You mentioning that there MUST be one that fits tricked me into starting to search and test from scratch
5 hours later ...

Its "uImage_mt_usbhost_nopowercheck_115.zip" and "uRamdisk_NTG_115_usb.zip" and I have no idea where i found them but with the file name others should be able to find them i hope.

For those with the same problem:
my Nook ST Glowlight has Software Version 1.2.0 (which can't be changed or updated, god knows why ...) and was rooted with NookManager plus NSTAppsAttack installed. For everyone having the same device, the two files above work. They enable keyboard support and keep Glowlight and Multi-Touch working. Just push uImage and uRamdisk using ADB to the boot partition (after rooting) and everything should be fine.

Thanks to all the guys here at xda providing so much help