Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 43,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Captivate SGH-I897 camera/Video/Gallery bugs

Tip us?
 
Tyannt
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 33
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Captivate SGH-I897 camera/Video/Gallery bugs

Hi..
Updated my cappy from Froyo 2.2 to UCKK4, now on Liquidsmooth v2.9 JB-4.2.2

Camera worked initially, video mode did not. Next day clicking the camera icon resulted in an
error saying "unfortunately gallery has quit/shut down".
Clearing data & cache in gallery helped to be able to take and view pics again but as soon as
i attempt to take video it crashes gallery again.

- Does a gallery problem affect camera or video use?
- Would another gallery app make any difference?
- Would freezing, or turning any google apps/tasks off cause this problem?

Any advice appreciated..........
 
Val D.
Old
#2  
Val D.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 393
Posts: 585
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
The issues you have are ROM specific, not device specific. The ROM you use was never released for Captivate and therefore has no support on this device. You may eventually look for solutions in i9000 forum - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2223729
- HTC Desire 601 LTE, KK Android 4.4.2 (main phone)
- Acer Iconia Tab A200, ICS Android 4.0.3 (games tablet)
- Samsung i896 Captivate, JB Android 4.2.2 (backup phone)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Val D. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Tyannt
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 33
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val D. View Post
The issues you have are ROM specific, not device specific. The ROM you use was never released for Captivate and therefore has no support on this device. You may eventually look for solutions in i9000 forum - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2223729
Well, thanks again Val D..

I was given the ROM directly from a member knowing I had a captivate, nothing mentioned
about it NOT being released for the Cappy... Hmmm!
Too bad cause I kinda liked it but not without Video/Camera. Possibly could have found
a fix.. another time maybe!
Flashed back to UCKK4... Will take some extra time choosing next!
 
Val D.
Old
#4  
Val D.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 393
Posts: 585
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
If you want to actually use your Captivate, then go with light JB ROMs like GamerzROM (don't change default kernel), ported CyanAOSP (with Semaphore 3.0.0c kernel) or just default CM10.1.0 (10.1.3 is a full package ROM, heavier than 10.1.0). If you want just to play with it, then you can try every full featured ROM available for Captivate. Keep in mind though that Captivate is a >3y old very limited RAM device and every single service or feature you run makes it progressively slower. I wouldn't recommend any 4.3.x based ROM, all I have tested are slower than 4.2.2 based. 4.4.x based ROMs are still in development, with some missing device specific features.
- HTC Desire 601 LTE, KK Android 4.4.2 (main phone)
- Acer Iconia Tab A200, ICS Android 4.0.3 (games tablet)
- Samsung i896 Captivate, JB Android 4.2.2 (backup phone)
The Following User Says Thank You to Val D. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Tyannt
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 33
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val D. View Post
If you want to actually use your Captivate, then go with light JB ROMs like GamerzROM (don't change default kernel), ported CyanAOSP (with Semaphore 3.0.0c kernel) or just default CM10.1.0 (10.1.3 is a full package ROM, heavier than 10.1.0). If you want just to play with it, then you can try every full featured ROM available for Captivate. Keep in mind though that Captivate is a >3y old very limited RAM device and every single service or feature you run makes it progressively slower. I wouldn't recommend any 4.3.x based ROM, all I have tested are slower than 4.2.2 based. 4.4.x based ROMs are still in development, with some missing device specific features.
Val D..
Have flashed back to Stock UCKK4 in the mean time..

Not really looking for a full featured ROM; prefer something very slim/light, keeping in mind the cappy's age,
then add the apps I use. It's just a tool to me! Lol
That said, would you think the light JB "GamerzROM" would be the best choice of the ones you mentioned?


Thanks again, really appreciate the suggestions! Very helpful and informative!
 
BWolf56
Old
#6  
BWolf56's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1682
Posts: 3,807
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outaouais

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyannt View Post
Val D..
Have flashed back to Stock UCKK4 in the mean time..

Not really looking for a full featured ROM; prefer something very slim/light, keeping in mind the cappy's age,
then add the apps I use. It's just a tool to me! Lol
That said, would you think the light JB "GamerzROM" would be the best choice of the ones you mentioned?


Thanks again, really appreciate the suggestions! Very helpful and informative!
There's Slimbean if you want something really light.
Sent by falcon messenger while riding a laser equipped T-rex on a rocket
>>Get Dropbox right here<<
>>Rogers LTE tethering mod<<
Galaxy S III I747m
ROM: AOKP 4.4.4
Kernel: KT747
Modem: ND3
Launcher: Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelendel
Jig ~ You should never need one but.. Use the condom theory.
 
Val D.
Old
(Last edited by Val D.; 23rd January 2014 at 03:42 AM.)
#7  
Val D.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 393
Posts: 585
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyannt View Post
That said, would you think the light JB "GamerzROM" would be the best choice of the ones you mentioned?
You'll need to find what is best for you, there is no universal best choice. I'm running stripped down version of CM10.1 Stable with Semaphore 3.0.0c kernel. Closest ROM to my own version is ported CyanAOSP. SlimBean is also a very good ROM, but unfortunately best 4.2.2 based version IMHO build 6 is not available anymore on their website. Honestly, there is no JB ROM without any lag. Captivate is just too old and slow device to run well newer Android versions. Forget about Liquid Smooth, For Gaming, Fastest, etc. statements, no such thing. Play a little with any new dual or quad core device with more available and much faster RAM and you'll see what I'm talking about. Captivate is good with a basic ROM and no more than 20-30 light apps.
- HTC Desire 601 LTE, KK Android 4.4.2 (main phone)
- Acer Iconia Tab A200, ICS Android 4.0.3 (games tablet)
- Samsung i896 Captivate, JB Android 4.2.2 (backup phone)
The Following User Says Thank You to Val D. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Tyannt
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 33
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val D. View Post
You'll need to find what is best for you, there is no universal best choice. I'm running stripped down version of CM10.1 Stable with Semaphore 3.0.0c kernel. Closest ROM to my own version is ported CyanAOSP. SlimBean is also a very good ROM, but unfortunately best 4.2.2 based version IMHO build 6 is not available anymore on their website. Honestly, there is no JB ROM without any lag. Captivate is just too old and slow device to run well newer Android versions. Forget about Liquid Smooth, For Gaming, Fastest, etc. statements, no such thing. Play a little with any new dual or quad core device with more available and much faster RAM and you'll see what I'm talking about. Captivate is good with a basic ROM and no more than 20-30 light apps.

Funny you mention Slimbean BWolf56, basically what I've been partial to.. My particular problem
is being new to all this is, determining just how light/slim a particular ROM is!
I notice quite a differemce in ROM sizes when downloaded but is that any indication?

And Val D, I understand what you're saying, a phone being just a computer so... I'll soon find out what
the captivate can handle!

Thanks guys!!

PS.. I've been keeping a record of what I've done, as well as a database of all the files and programs I've used!
Haha, I hate looking for something twice!

I'll give a holler when I've checked out another!
 
BWolf56
Old
#9  
BWolf56's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1682
Posts: 3,807
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outaouais

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyannt View Post
Funny you mention Slimbean BWolf56, basically what I've been partial to.. My particular problem
is being new to all this is, determining just how light/slim a particular ROM is!
I notice quite a differemce in ROM sizes when downloaded but is that any indication?

And Val D, I understand what you're saying, a phone being just a computer so... I'll soon find out what
the captivate can handle!

Thanks guys!!

PS.. I've been keeping a record of what I've done, as well as a database of all the files and programs I've used!
Haha, I hate looking for something twice!

I'll give a holler when I've checked out another!
ROM size is an indication but features in the thread's OP are really what you're looking for (shorter the better in your case).
Sent by falcon messenger while riding a laser equipped T-rex on a rocket
>>Get Dropbox right here<<
>>Rogers LTE tethering mod<<
Galaxy S III I747m
ROM: AOKP 4.4.4
Kernel: KT747
Modem: ND3
Launcher: Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelendel
Jig ~ You should never need one but.. Use the condom theory.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWolf56 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Tyannt
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 33
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWolf56 View Post
ROM size is an indication but features in the thread's OP are really what you're looking for (shorter the better in your case).
Just thought I would end this thread... Moved to a different ROM
Thanks to all

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes