Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Stuck in recovery (CWM) for no reason?

OP Homesicktexan

25th January 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

54 posts
I've searched all over, but haven't found anything specific to this. I have a rooted e980 with a stock rom and CWM. It's been running great for a couple of months. I woke up this morning and it was on the CWM start screen. I figured it reset overnight and somehow got there. Anyway, I can't get it out of CWM. I've rebooted, battery pulled, and even restored several backups I had. They all complete successfully, then the phone reboots and goes right back into CWM. I even went and installed an old backup of a Carbon ROM I had, and it does the same thing: stays in CWM.

Any ideas? I don't want to keep screwing with it and really brick it.
25th January 2014, 06:04 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

61 posts
I had the same thing happen to me as well...I tried restores...factory resets and nothing would work...the only option I had was to return stock using lg flash tools...you will lose everything on the internal sd...but the phone was up and running in about fifteen minutes...reroot...install cwm... after that I store everything on the external sd including my cwm backups... hope this helps...

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app
25th January 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

54 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythicBlue

I had the same thing happen to me as well...I tried restores...factory resets and nothing would work...the only option I had was to return stock using lg flash tools...you will lose everything on the internal sd...but the phone was up and running in about fifteen minutes...reroot...install cwm... after that I store everything on the external sd including my cwm backups... hope this helps...

Thanks. Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Did you already have a copy of the stock rom? I'm downloading it now and it's taking forever...
25th January 2014, 08:12 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 9

61 posts
I used this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2302660 and this latest stock tot file from this post ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2361928 it works perfectly...

25th January 2014, 11:59 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

54 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythicBlue

I used this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2302660 and this latest stock tot file from this post ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2361928 it works perfectly...

It worked! Thanks! However, I had to use that same TOT file you linked. The I downloaded the stock rom 3 times and none of them worked, the extracted TOT did though. For future readers of this, some observations:
  • I used the TOT linked above by MythicBlue
  • The first time I tried flashing with the LG Flash Tool, it failed at 31 seconds, so I tried again and...
  • It failed again at the very end, however my phone was already fixed and rebooted, so you may need to try it again.
  • In the lg flash tool, check the box that lets you manually add the .dll file
  • the box directly beneath it is for the TOT file.

I hope my frustrating Saturday might help someone else.
1st February 2014, 07:14 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 51

95 posts
My e980 did the same thing, had to use lg flash tools to get back to stock.
Anybody know what caused our phones to do this?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread