Ask a question

No registration required

[ROM] CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Builds for Nook Color

OP steven676

30th January 2014, 12:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,418

587 posts
The NookieDevs are pleased to announce CyanogenMod 11 nightly builds for the Nook Color!

These experimental builds contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting. As CyanogenMod 11 is still under active development, regressions and general breakage are to be expected in nightly builds!

Highlights:
  • Linux kernel 3.0.101, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
  • All of the features of CyanogenMod 11, based on Android 4.4. For Nook Color, this brings a reduced memory footprint, which leads to a better all-around user experience.
  • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using both the GPU and the display subsystem's hardware overlay acceleration (hwcomposer).

Known issues:
  • Video playback is slower than on previous releases -- this is most noticeable when playing HD 720p video.
  • Bluetooth is broken at the moment after changes for Qualcomm Bluetooth chipsets were merged into CyanogenMod.
  • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.
  • ART (the experimental Android runtime introduced in 4.4) is not supported -- if you enable it, your system will not boot. (Workarounds may exist, but they are not going to be officially supported either -- use them at your own risk.)

Download:
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?dev...e&type=nightly

Note that an updated recovery is required to install CM11. ClockworkMod 6.0.4.8 and newer versions should work, as should other recoveries provided the required changes are included. (Ask the maintainer of the recovery if you're not sure.) NOTE: Do not use ClockworkMod 6.0.3.x builds older than 6.0.3.6, as they contain a bug which may brick your device!

Source code:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...e/tree/cm-11.0 (device-specific source)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore (kernel)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-11.0 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which historically provided excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community.

XDA:DevDB Information
CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Builds, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2014-01-30
Last Updated 2014-05-15
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 12:22 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

587 posts
Google Apps; other CyanogenMod builds
Google Apps
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

As of 2014/07/25, the latest release for CM11 that is known to work is 20140105. DO NOT use the 20140606 release unless installing to SD card -- it contains over 100 MB of additional bloat and will not fit on an eMMC installation!

If you wish to use another Google apps package, and are installing on eMMC, please note that the Nook Color has what is by modern standards a limited amount of disk space available on /system (440 MB) -- the base system is currently in the neighborhood of 300 MB, so some of the larger packages will not fit. If you're offered different variants, choose the smallest one in order to avoid problems.

Please make sure that you have the correct Google Apps flashed before reporting problems involving the Google Apps (Play Store, Google Keyboard, etc.).

Other CyanogenMod builds

This is the thread for CM11 nightly builds. There are other official CyanogenMod builds for Nook Color available:
  • Stable releases of CM10.2 and CM10.1 -- these are the releases to use if you don't want to be on the bleeding edge.
  • Archived nightly builds for CM10.2, CM10.1, and CM10. You may find the last CM10 nightly (20130421) faster than the later releases, particularly during playback of HD 720p video.

Please check that your questions are in the appropriate thread. (If you're interested, there's lots of past discussion in those threads, as well as the development thread.)
Last edited by steven676; 26th July 2014 at 04:46 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 12:22 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

587 posts
Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting
The install fails with errors from "set_metadata_recursive"!
The installation appears to succeed, but nothing's changed when I reboot!

You'll need an updated recovery to install CM11. For CM11 nightly builds from May 16 and later, any recovery that reports itself as ClockworkMod 6.0.4.8 or later should work; other non-CWM recoveries should work if they incorporate the necessary changes to suppor these builds (you'll have to ask their maintainers for details).

For older CM11 nightlies, any recovery that reports itself as ClockworkMod 6.0.3.6 or later should work; other non-CWM recoveries such as TWRP 2.6.3.0 or later should be fine provided the kernel is sufficiently new (you'll have to ask their maintainers for details). NOTE: Do not use ClockworkMod 6.0.3.x builds older than 6.0.3.6, as they contain a bug which may brick your device!

I installed CM11, wiped /data, and now my tablet's been booting for an awfully long time. Is something wrong?

First boot will take at least five minutes, and the boot animation currently stops many times during this process. If you've been waiting more than 10 minutes and it's still not booted up, you probably have a problem.

The soft keyboard keeps crashing!
The Play Store is acting up!

Did you flash the correct Google Apps? If on an eMMC install, are you sure your Google Apps fit on /system?

How do I install this to an external SD card?

See this excellent guide by leapinlar for instructions. It's reported that Google apps installation is broken in the SD card installer at the moment, so you may need to wait for that to be fixed.

What happened to the "Developer options" and "Performance" screens in Settings?

They're hidden by default now in CM10.1 and later. To show them, go into "About tablet" and tap the build number (for CM11 nightlies, it'll be something starting with "cm_encore-userdebug 4.4.2 KOT49H" or "cm_encore-userdebug 4.4.3 KTU84M") seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You can't -- Google killed it off in Android 4.4.

The lock screen doesn't rotate!
The screen doesn't rotate to the sides I want!

Particularly if you're upgrading from an existing install, you may find that the preferences for screen rotations are incorrectly set. Go to Settings->Display->Rotation and check that "Auto-rotate screen" and (if you want the lock screen to rotate) "Rotate lock screen" are set.

For the allowed screen orientations, selecting 0, 180 and 270 degrees will cover the rotations that you probably want. If you want details:
Android likes to think of the "natural" orientation (0 degrees rotation) as landscape with the N key on the right side of the screen. (This is a change from CM10 and earlier, when we were carrying a hack to change this.) The degrees of rotation are counted in the counterclockwise direction, so in essence, each of the rotation settings allows the following:
  • 0 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the right side of the screen
  • 90 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on top ("upside down")
  • 180 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the left side of the screen
  • 270 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on the bottom ("right side up")
I enabled ART, and now my Nook Color won't boot!

ART isn't supported on Nook Color at the moment due to known issues:
  • The initial compiling pass that happens the first time you enable ART may cause your tablet to run out of both RAM and disk space.
  • Many of the Google apps packages for CM11 are incompatible with ART.

If you're currently stuck in a bootloop after enabling ART, boot into recovery and then see this post by fattire for advice on how to restore your system to a working state.

I can't get any of the ROMs or recoveries for Nook Color to boot!

Before you go any further -- are you sure you have a Nook Color and not a Nook Tablet? The two devices look almost identical, but Nook Color (model number BNRV200 -- check the fine print near the speaker grille on the back) has a dark gray bezel, while Nook Tablet (BNTV250) has a light gray or silver bezel. The two devices are not interchangeable -- Nook Color software will not boot on Nook Tablet and vice versa.

If you've got a Nook Tablet, you want to be in the Nook Tablet forums instead.

I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM11.

That's not a question :p

Okay, I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM11 -- is there something I can do to troubleshoot?

Glad you asked! Please check the following:
  • Does the problem occur with a clean install of CM11? This means wiping /data and not restoring a Nandroid backup afterwards. Don't restore system apps and/or their data in Titanium Backup either (user apps/data are okay).
  • Are you overclocking? If so, does the problem occur when you set the maximum clock speed to 1000 MHz or below? To be clear, we are not interested at this point in bug reports of any kind that happen if you have the maximum CPU speed set above 1000 MHz. If you're experiencing system crashes or "sleep of death" (SOD), you may also wish to try capping the CPU clock speed to 800 MHz (but if this helps, please report your problem here and fill out the hardware survey).
  • Do you have any patches, custom kernels, or other tweaks applied? If you do, does the problem occur without those applied? (We're not necessarily going to ignore bug reports from patched or tweaked systems outright, but it can make our job harder, and we do need to know what changes you have applied to judge whether or not the change might be relevant to your problem.)

I'm having no luck with the suggestions above. What information should I include with my bug report?

When reporting a problem, please include the following information if at all possible:
  • Full description of the problem -- "it crashes" doesn't count. How do you trigger the problem (or does it occur by itself)? What exactly happens when the problem occurs? How often does it happen?
  • For problems with apps or specific pieces of the system software: we'll almost certainly ask for a logcat of the event, so you'll save everyone some time by including it.
  • For problems involving system freezes, crashes, or SOD: if you can connect to the tablet via adb while it's "unresponsive", please provide dmesg and logcat output from that time. If you cannot, try power-cycling it while it's still plugged into USB, and provide dmesg output from immediately after the reboot, plus the contents of /proc/last_kmsg if that file exists (let us know if it doesn't).
  • For unexpected reboots: provide the contents of /proc/last_kmsg from after the reboot.
Last edited by steven676; 8th June 2014 at 11:43 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 47

276 posts
Now that everyone has squared me away (in the 10.2 thread) on the you-need-CWM-6.0.4.5-to-flash-CM11 issue, I hafta say, after 2-3 hrs, this CM11 is quite good! No hard numbers, sorry, but seems reliable, faster than 7.2, and, of course, the UI is vastly better. Waytago steven676, keyodi, fattire! Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibilln For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 15

84 posts
Hello everyone,

To run off of an SD; I created a new SD (sandisk 8gb) with the latest image from Leapilar, the nightly and suggested GAPPS (gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip). There were some error messages from the GAPPS (they scrolled off before I could really read them). The NC booted to the desktop but there was no play store.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

V
30th January 2014, 02:32 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

587 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo222

Hello everyone,

To run off of an SD; I created a new SD (sandisk 8gb) with the latest image from Leapilar, the nightly and suggested GAPPS (gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip). There were some error messages from the GAPPS (they scrolled off before I could really read them). The NC booted to the desktop but there was no play store.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

V

If your errors match the ones reported on the SD installer thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowguy

I then tried to install the 2014/01/05 gapps package using your/verygreen's script and saw this message:
"Hangouts.apk exists but is not a regular file" The script died at this point and shutdown. After booting, you cannot add a google account as it appears it is a very incomplete gapps install.

then it's the bug mentioned in the FAQ -- it looks like the SD installer needs an update.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #7  
Ventura
Thanks Meter: 105

131 posts
deleted
Last edited by bowguy; 30th January 2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: steven676 beat me to it
30th January 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #8  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 2,988

1,794 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just curiuos if anyone has an oppinion to how cm11 is running on the device. I originally flashed cm10.1 when I first rooted and it ran INSANELY slow and laggy, probably due to the low ram etc. But was forced to run CM7 and it ran perfectly and have been running it ever since. I know that 4.4 is supposed to have lower dependencies for running on older/slower devices but anyone got some input on just how good it runs? I am going to probably try it later on tonight, it will just take me a while cause i got to backup my sons game data first or hill kill me.
30th January 2014, 04:33 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,510

1,550 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2215

Just curiuos if anyone has an oppinion to how cm11 is running on the device. I originally flashed cm10.1 when I first rooted and it ran INSANELY slow and laggy, probably due to the low ram etc. But was forced to run CM7 and it ran perfectly and have been running it ever since. I know that 4.4 is supposed to have lower dependencies for running on older/slower devices but anyone got some input on just how good it runs? I am going to probably try it later on tonight, it will just take me a while cause i got to backup my sons game data first or hill kill me.

Just DOOOO it

(not that I'm encouraging you one way or the other)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 15

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven676

If your errors match the ones reported on the SD installer thread:

then it's the bug mentioned in the FAQ -- it looks like the SD installer needs an update.

Yes that's it then.

I hope this gets worked out. 4.4 was very smooth and worked well.
V
Last edited by volpo222; 30th January 2014 at 04:59 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread