Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon sch i605 new carrier?

Tip us?
 
w4rped
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 30
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default [Q] Verizon sch i605 new carrier?

I have a Verizon sch i605 (galaxy note 2). I really want to get off Verizon. I need to know if there is any other service that I can flash my phone to that will allow me to be free of this garbage service.
Now I know I can get it over to pageplus, but my issue here is 4g speeds. I want 4g! is that so hard?? anyways... I called straight talk, and searched everywhere about them and apparently Verizon 4g phones cant be flashed to them. So does anyone know a service that has a decent coverage map and 4g speeds (unlimited preferred) that I can get my note 2 over to? I can't seem to find anything online that helps at all...
 
akellar
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,770
Posts: 2,636
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa
If you want the best 4g coverage you're already on it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
Please note, I do not do ROM support via PM. If you have a question, ask in the device thread. Thanks.
 
nhizzat
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 431
Join Date: Mar 2011
Sell your Note 2, buy new Note 2 on this better carrier you think exists.
 
bucknerspc
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default Sim unlocked

I hear that the sim in the Verizon Note 2 is already unlocked. just go to Wal-Mart and grab a straight talk sim and see what you think. I think there is a mod for rooted phones to get rid of the annoying sim notification. I have been researching a cheaper alternative to Verizon but the unlimited pre paid plans aren't exactly unlimited. once you hit the 2gb allowance a month they will throttle your speed back and could even disconnect your services. its all in there EULA.
 
jcollier
Old
#5  
jcollier's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 140
Posts: 456
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknerspc View Post
I hear that the sim in the Verizon Note 2 is already unlocked. just go to Wal-Mart and grab a straight talk sim and see what you think. I think there is a mod for rooted phones to get rid of the annoying sim notification. I have been researching a cheaper alternative to Verizon but the unlimited pre paid plans aren't exactly unlimited. once you hit the 2gb allowance a month they will throttle your speed back and could even disconnect your services. its all in there EULA.
You don't have to flash the Note 2 for other service. You just get another sim and pop it in. I am currently testing out Straight Talk on my Note 2. Basically, after you activate your service with them, you just need to add the APN info on your phone and connect to that network. This modified APK from IMNUTS will let you not have the annoying sim notification.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=4

However, the last statement above is the downside. Once you hit 2.5gb of usage, your speeds are throttled down. Now, it says high speed, so I am not sure if they are only talking about LTE or what, because our phones cannot connect to LTE because we do not have the needed phone bands.
 
w4rped
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 30
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollier View Post
You don't have to flash the Note 2 for other service. You just get another sim and pop it in. I am currently testing out Straight Talk on my Note 2. Basically, after you activate your service with them, you just need to add the APN info on your phone and connect to that network. This modified APK from IMNUTS will let you not have the annoying sim notification.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=4

However, the last statement above is the downside. Once you hit 2.5gb of usage, your speeds are throttled down. Now, it says high speed, so I am not sure if they are only talking about LTE or what, because our phones cannot connect to LTE because we do not have the needed phone bands.
So you are saying the verizon sch i605 will work with this method? I called straight talk and they said it was impossible. I am not sure why they would say that if it is as easy as you say.
 
bucknerspc
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default check this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rped View Post
So you are saying the verizon sch i605 will work with this method? I called straight talk and they said it was impossible. I am not sure why they would say that if it is as easy as you say.
check this link out. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2044449
 
greekchampion04
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 137
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rped View Post
So you are saying the verizon sch i605 will work with this method? I called straight talk and they said it was impossible. I am not sure why they would say that if it is as easy as you say.
The phone is sim unlocked. That means you can pop in any carrier's sim card and phone calls will work with no flashing or any modifications needed. What Verizon did is block the APN settings... Without adjusting those, you will not get data at all on another carrier.

Customized ROMs and apk and flash able zip exploits all exist to get around this.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
OG (Screen Issues) --> DX (Headphone Jack Issues) --> D4 --> Note II --> Note 3
The Following User Says Thank You to greekchampion04 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jcollier
Old
(Last edited by jcollier; 29th December 2013 at 07:35 PM.) Reason: added info
#9  
jcollier's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 140
Posts: 456
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rped View Post
So you are saying the verizon sch i605 will work with this method? I called straight talk and they said it was impossible. I am not sure why they would say that if it is as easy as you say.
Because a lot of the times they don't know what they are talking about? Here is their own website where you can put in your phone IMEI and it will tell you it is compatible.
http://stbyop.com/straighttalk/

Also, the 4.1.2 update from Verizon allowed the user to edit APN's without needing root.



 
bucknerspc
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 26
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default results

Let us now how the straight talk 4g is in your area. I have been debating on switching with my note 2 but I am grandfathered in on unlimited Verizon data and am not a big fan of the 2gb-ish cap on the "unlimited" data prepaid plans offer.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes