Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,688 Members 40,823 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Carrier Unlocking Sprints Photon Q

Tip us?

Morecrabs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Carrier Unlocking Sprints Photon Q

Ok, b4 I get 15 people Pointing me to an irrelevant Thread Not related to this Device , Directing someone to a thread where they arent Interested in the device supported in this forum doesnt provide answers lets discuss In detail carrier unlocking this device

1. Can this be accomplished by Flashing a new Radio Firmware? if so does one exist?

2. if this can be accomplished VIA RadioComm Has anyone dabbled in the MPQ Firmware Specificly for US carriers?

3. there are No threads specifically Covering this topic pertaining to this device and Instead of redirecting everyone Lets start one

kabaldan
Old
(Last edited by kabaldan; 30th January 2014 at 12:09 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,234

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecrabs View Post
Ok, b4 I get 15 people Pointing me to an irrelevant Thread Not related to this Device , Directing someone to a thread where they arent Interested in the device supported in this forum doesnt provide answers lets discuss In detail carrier unlocking this device

1. Can this be accomplished by Flashing a new Radio Firmware? if so does one exist?

2. if this can be accomplished VIA RadioComm Has anyone dabbled in the MPQ Firmware Specificly for US carriers?

3. there are No threads specifically Covering this topic pertaining to this device and Instead of redirecting everyone Lets start one
1. No

2. Yes

You need to be on stock ics firmware for the NV edit to succeed and stick.
Use Android 4.0.4 Blur_Version.77.8.14.XT897.Sprint.en.US - http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=3
If you're downgrading from jellybean, you have to remove the line with flash gpt_main0.bin from the xml file, otherwise the flashing via rsdlite will fail.
Code:
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt_main0.bin" MD5="6C05E70F1DCC59AD92B0BBEC4E6100ED" />
The firmware thread is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2095536

Then you can follow this (RadioComm):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2166542
or this (CDMA WS) guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2386871

After it's done, you should flash the stock Android 4.1.2 via rsdlite, then install CM10.2 (or any other custom ROM) again.

Morecrabs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
soo i have reason to believe this device I bought is actually a developer Model under my developer Options it has a development device ID d7vk-gus7-rvcl-s does that mean this unit is already carrier unlocked and i can simply skip the Radio comm steps? Im having a few radio Comm issues that are making me alil squimish it keeps telling me its not loading the card driver, because of a 64/32 bit difference and it tells me that it wont be able to properly enumerate values

any radiocomm setup suggestions?

AndyYan
Old
Thanks Meter 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecrabs View Post
soo i have reason to believe this device I bought is actually a developer Model under my developer Options it has a development device ID d7vk-gus7-rvcl-s does that mean this unit is already carrier unlocked and i can simply skip the Radio comm steps? Im having a few radio Comm issues that are making me alil squimish it keeps telling me its not loading the card driver, because of a 64/32 bit difference and it tells me that it wont be able to properly enumerate values

any radiocomm setup suggestions?
That development ID is simply for identifying your device under debugging circumstances like ADB, every device has them. Also, flashing another ROM changes this value.

Sent from Google Nexus 4 @ CM11

Current devices:
Google Nexus 4 (CM11 Nightly)
Motorola Droid RAZR M (CM11 Nightly for JB BL)
Sony Xperia SP (CM11 Nightly)
Google Nexus 7 (2013, WiFi) (CM11 Nightly)
Samsung Galaxy Gear (Null_ Build 23)
Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 (CM10.2 Unofficial)
Nokia N86 8MP (RM-484 30.009 Pre-Hacked)

Quote:
Multi-core smartphones are like M&Ms:
They don't melt on the store shelf... Just in your hands.

Morecrabs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
ok so that was a dumb decision to come to, but its not something id ever seen on any of my other android devices, Droid 1,2,4 samsung captivate glide, so i figured it was related to the developer Models

Do I need to run my copy of radio Comm on a 32 bit machine to accomplish this hacking?

my 64 bit machines seem to have driver related issues with the software

Morecrabs
Old
(Last edited by Morecrabs; 2nd February 2014 at 01:57 AM.) Reason: added more info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
was wondering if anyone could help me setup the drivers, I keep getting errors with Radio comm and cdma workshop, and it all boils down to driver issues, with cdma workshop i cant get the QC port setup because IM missing a driver, and with radio comm, I cant get it to communicate properly with the phone once i boot into fastboot any help suggestions? ive installed the moto drivers and setup on a PC with a 32 bit version of win7 starter to allow radio comm to setup properly

In radio comm it will ID the phone as xt897 and i can get software version if its booted into OS, but it will do nothing else

stargo
Old
(Last edited by stargo; 14th August 2014 at 11:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 634
Hi,

I have written a small application which can be run on the phone and which removes the US carrier lock by sending the NV-commands to the diag-interface directly without the need for an external computer. I did this because the other method did not really work reliable for me (probably because I'm using a virtualized windows-installation).

This program works on the CM-11 builds. I have not tested stock, it may not contain the necessary diag_tty-support in the kernel.
  1. download the binary: http://bork.cs.fau.de/~michael/photonq/xt897-fix-usa
  2. copy the binary to /data/local/tmp/
  3. make it executable (adb or terminal): chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa
  4. run the binary (adb or terminal):
    Code:
    shell@asanti_c:/ $ su
    root@asanti_c:/ # /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa
    Setting logging_mode to internal...
    Creating /dev/diag_tty...
    Opened diag...
    Getting value of NV-item 8322...
    GSM outside USA only: 1
    Setting value of NV-item 8322 to 0...
    GSM outside USA only: 0
    Setting logging_mode to usb...

If you want to reinstate the lock, you can run: /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa lock

You can find the source-code here: https://github.com/stargo/xt897-fix-usa

EDIT: Works fine on stock rooted JB, too, and sticks after a reboot.

Regards,
Michael
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stargo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

enigma9o7
Old
(Last edited by enigma9o7; 12th August 2014 at 05:17 PM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargo View Post
I have written a small application which can be run on the phone and which removes the US carrier lock by sending the NV-commands to the diag-interface directly without the need for an external computer
Excellent! I picked a good day to try to figure out how to do this, I was making notes of all the various steps (install ics on phone, use radiocomm on pc, install jb on phone, then cm on phone) when I got to this post and realized I won't need to do any of that, thanks much!

DroidRazrMv
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Terminal Emulator Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargo View Post
Hi,

I have written a small application which can be run on the phone and which removes the US carrier lock by sending the NV-commands to the diag-interface directly without the need for an external computer. I did this because the other method did not really work reliable for me (probably because I'm using a virtualized windows-installation).

This program works on the CM-11 builds. I have not tested stock, it may not contain the necessary diag_tty-support in the kernel.
  1. download the binary: http //bork cs fau de/~michael/photonq/xt897-fix-usa
  2. copy the binary to /data/local/tmp/
  3. make it executable (adb or terminal): chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa
  4. run the binary (adb or terminal):
    [CODE
    shell@asanti_c:/ $ su
    root@asanti_c:/ # /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa
    Setting logging_mode to internal...
    Creating /dev/diag_tty...
    Opened diag...
    GSM outside USA only: 1
    Setting value of NV-item 8322 to 0...
    GSM outside USA only: 0
    Setting logging_mode to usb...
    [/CODE]

If you want to reinstate the lock, you can run: /data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa lock

You can find the source-code here: https //github com/stargo/xt897-fix-usa

EDIT: Works fine on stock rooted JB, too, and sticks after a reboot.

Regards,
Michael
I'm trying out this method on my xt897 (Razr M) and Im up to the point where I need to run the binary but I'm not sure how to enter multiple lines into the terminal to run that last step, I've tried searching around and found nothing, any help would be much appreciated.

arrrghhh
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,524

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidRazrMv View Post
I'm trying out this method on my xt897 (Razr M) and Im up to the point where I need to run the binary but I'm not sure how to enter multiple lines into the terminal to run that last step, I've tried searching around and found nothing, any help would be much appreciated.
Just FYI, RAZR M is xt907.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean - just run the script/binary from the shell. "su" is one line - gives you root access. The next line just runs the binary, "/data/local/tmp/xt897-fix-usa"

Good luck.