View Poll Results: Did this post help you?
Yes 61 80.26%
No 4 5.26%
Kind of 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Smile Restore Samsung Galaxy S I9000 firmware/stock ROM (Froyo 2.2.1)

OP donematrix

11th May 2012, 07:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 36

25 posts
Introduction

There are a lot of information on the internet on how to restore Froyo 2.2.1 (the stock ROM) back to your Samsung Galaxy S I9000. However, I found that the information are scattered all over the place. Also, some of the links for downloading the necessary files/software to perform the restoration are broken. So I decided to spend some time to put all the information and files/application together, in one central location, so as to make it easier for you. I hope this post helps you. If there's anything unclear or need improvement, please leave your comments/suggestions, and I will try my best to make this post better and more understandable.

My step by step instructions

The step by step below is what I have done to restore Froyo 2.2.1 firmware back to my Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). If you follow the steps exactly you should restore your Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) stock ROM back to your phone successfully. However, who knows, there may be strange cases that it might not work on your phone, since there are so many different versions of Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). But let’s cross our figures and hope that the steps below work on your phone. In any case, I do not take any responsibility on whatever happens to your phone after you have followed the steps below. You should only continue if you agree to be responsible to whatever happens to your phone.

I performed the steps below without removing the SIM or the memory card from my Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). So you can as well leave them inside your phone.

Section A: What you need

Odin3 v1.7 or Odin3 v1.82 is the program that you will run on Windows to restore the Stock ROM onto your Samsung Galaxy S. If the name/file name of the Stock ROM you are downloading includes the letters/word sbl, then you will need to download Odin3 v1.82. Else, you need to download Odin3 v1.7. sbl means bootloader.

s1_odin_20100512 PIT is the file that tells Odin3 how to partition the ROM of your Samsung Galaxy S. For details go to this link.

Download any Froyo 2.2.1 firmware from the link above. I have tried 5 different Froyo 2.2.1 firmwares from the link and all 5 of them worked on my Samsung Galaxy S. One of the 5 was from Asia which I could set my phone to display in Chinese. At the end I restored my phone to XWJSD/XXJPY/OXXJS6/Sbl Froyo 2.2.1 firmware since it was the latest Froyo 2.2.1 firmware when I was trying to restore a Samsung Galaxy S firmware/stock ROM.

Section B: Restore Samsung Galaxy S I9000 stock ROM/firmware - Froyo 2.2.1

Do this step after you have all the necessary files downloaded from Section A.
  1. Install Samsung USB driver on your computer.
  2. Install 7-Zip.
  3. Use 7-Zip to extract Froyo 2.2.1 firmware to a folder. After the extraction you should see 3 files with file extention .tar.md5.
  4. Open Odin3 v1.7 or Odin3 v1.82 (depending on which one you have downloaded), and follow the steps below. To see an example of how Ordin3 works go to this link.
    1. Hold Samsung Galaxy S I9000 in your hand and turn it off, while it’s still in your hand wait till it vibrates (after approximately 4 to 7 seconds), because that’s when it’s really turned off. If it didn’t vibrate then take out the battery to make sure that it’s completely turned off. Then put back the battery.
    2. Connect your phone to your computer with a cable.
    3. Put your phone to download mode. To do that, hold down "volume down", "home", then the "power" key/button - do not release these three keys until an Android and a yellow triangle image appears on the screen.
    4. On Odin3 there are several columns of rectangles. Now the rectangle below the bigger rectangle on the first column should turn yellow.
    5. Now select the PIT file, PDA file, PHONE file, and CSC file by clicking the PIT, PDA, PHONE, and CSC buttons.
    6. Now click Start button.
    7. Now you should see activity on the first column of Ordin3. You should see a green progress bar. On Samsung Galaxy S you should see a white progress bar. Do not disconnect your phone from the computer at this point. After it is completed, your phone will restart automatically and it will load into recovery mode.
  5. In recovery mode use your volume down button to select “wipe data/factory reset” and tap the home key to confirm. Then select “wipe cache partition” and tap the home key to confirm. Then select “reboot system now” and tap the home key to confirm. Now your phone should boot up normally.
  6. Congradulations! You have successfully restored Samsung Galaxy S I9000 firmware/stock ROM (Froyo 2.2.1).

If you find this helpful and would like to make a donation (even as little as $1) please go to PayPal and under Personal tab click "Send Payment" and send the donation to donematrix@yahoo.com. Thank you very much for your support.

Section C: Rooting Samsung Galaxy S
  1. Put your Samsung Galaxy S to Debug mode. To do that follow these steps: home screen -> menu key -> Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging.
  2. Put your phone to Mass Storage. To do that follow these steps: home screen -> menu -> Wireless and network -> USB settings -> Mass storage.
  3. Open SuperOneClick v2.3.3.0 and following these steps below. For an example of how to use SuperOneClick v2.3.3.0, go to this link.
    1. Connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable.
    2. On your phone you should see an Adroid with an USB hand, click connect.
    3. On SuperOneClick click Root. Now you should see activity.
    4. When it’s done it will display a massage saying if you want to run a test. Click yes.
    5. Click Ok on the next prompt.
    6. Then it will display another message saying if you want to donate. It’s up to you.
  4. Now your Samsung Galaxy S I9000 should be rooted!

If your answer to the poll "Did this post help you?" is "No" or "Kind of" please post a comment to explain your answer, so I can make it better. Thanks.

Have a wonderful day!!!
Last edited by donematrix; 10th January 2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Make the content clearer
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to donematrix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st June 2012, 09:50 PM   |  #2  
Forum Administrator
Thanks Meter: 3,832

11,418 posts
21st June 2012, 10:05 PM   |  #3  
Flag Out there somewhere
Thanks Meter: 4,756

11,297 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ouch, the eye of the great one is upon you

Sent with solstice greetings
22nd June 2012, 03:43 AM   |  #4  
Flag Out there somewhere

11,297 posts
Donate to Me
More

Sent with solstice greetings
Last edited by slaphead20; 23rd June 2012 at 01:27 AM.
22nd June 2012, 06:54 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
Thumbs up
That's great!
Last edited by donematrix; 6th March 2013 at 03:15 AM.
22nd June 2012, 08:41 PM   |  #6  
Flag Out there somewhere

11,297 posts
Donate to Me
More

Sent from the gutter, gazing at the stars
Last edited by slaphead20; 23rd June 2012 at 01:26 AM.
22nd June 2012, 08:51 PM   |  #7  
Flag Out there somewhere

11,297 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just some constructive feedback....on the restore froyo section, bullet point lists would make it far easier to read and extract information from

22nd June 2012, 11:21 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
Do you mean change the ordered list to pullet point list? Or that some information in the ordered list can be broken down more into smaller groups of information?
23rd June 2012, 01:23 AM   |  #9  
Flag Out there somewhere

11,297 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donematrix

Do you mean change the ordered list to pullet point list? Or that some information in the ordered list can be broken down more into smaller groups of information?

The flashing sequence in particular, it makes it far easier to keep track of where you are in the process, noob friendly! a another suggestion is screen shots of the Odin setup, I did this for a rescue and recovery kit I slung together...for my own use lol but I just share it by DB if someone needs it

23rd June 2012, 01:25 AM   |  #10  
Flag Out there somewhere

11,297 posts
Donate to Me
More
Much better edited removing mine

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread