[Q] How to update GeeWiz media ROM to latest

OP beebelo

2nd February 2014, 12:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

9 posts
I am running the previous version of the GeeWiz Media ROM (I'm not sure of the version number, I did not find that info under About>Phone).

The newest version is "GEEWIZ MEDIA 4.5 SCH-I500 JDQ39 JELLY BEAN 4.2.2 ROM/KERNEL", and the reason I want to update is that it "Fixes issue with low headphone/headset output volume", a problem that I experience.

Can I do a dirty flash over the old one? There are three files in the download section. One is clearly a full wipe, but I am not sure which of the others I need to use for updating:
ODIN Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz Media 4.5 ROM/Kernel/Modem/Recovery/Data Wipe Full Update (ODIN)
This will delete all user data from your device, replace your RECOVERY with GeeWiz Recovery as well as replace your modem with the EH03 revision. Your data volumes will be formatted with EXT4 on the first boot

GeeWiz Media 4.5 ROM/Kernel (ODIN)

GeeWiz 2.9 Recovery (ODIN)

Thank you for any pointers on this. I've only flashed once before (the current ROM), and the searching I've done on my question is not giving me a direct answer.
2nd February 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 185

777 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebelo

I am running the previous version of the GeeWiz Media ROM (I'm not sure of the version number, I did not find that info under About>Phone).

The newest version is "GEEWIZ MEDIA 4.5 SCH-I500 JDQ39 JELLY BEAN 4.2.2 ROM/KERNEL", and the reason I want to update is that it "Fixes issue with low headphone/headset output volume", a problem that I experience.

Can I do a dirty flash over the old one? There are three files in the download section. One is clearly a full wipe, but I am not sure which of the others I need to use for updating:

ODIN Compatible Downloads

GeeWiz Media 4.5 ROM/Kernel/Modem/Recovery/Data Wipe Full Update (ODIN)
This will delete all user data from your device, replace your RECOVERY with GeeWiz Recovery as well as replace your modem with the EH03 revision. Your data volumes will be formatted with EXT4 on the first boot

GeeWiz Media 4.5 ROM/Kernel (ODIN)

GeeWiz 2.9 Recovery (ODIN)

Thank you for any pointers on this. I've only flashed once before (the current ROM), and the searching I've done on my question is not giving me a direct answer.

there's a ClockworkMod/Geewiz recovery section that you can find GW 4.5 in. Download that (and the 4.5.2 patch), copy those to your phone's SD card, and then wipe data and update using the GW recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to skepticmisfit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticmisfit

there's a ClockworkMod/Geewiz recovery section that you can find GW 4.5 in. Download that (and the 4.5.2 patch), copy those to your phone's SD card, and then wipe data and update using the GW recovery

I was staying away from that section because I used Odin and don't have ClockworkMod, and also don't know what Edify is because I didn't use it the first time (sorry!). Do I need to install ClockworkMod first?

Thank you for your assistance!
2nd February 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 595

1,451 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebelo

I was staying away from that section because I used Odin and don't have ClockworkMod, and also don't know what Edify is because I didn't use it the first time (sorry!). Do I need to install ClockworkMod first?

Thank you for your assistance!

If your comfortable with odin use that, but you will still need to use the zip install if the 4.5.2 patch regardless of which method you go with.
If i remember correctly the previous GW had the 2.9 recovery, so you would not need to install if that's correct.

All the cwm and edify talk is nothing to get confused over,,, again since you are on the prior version you are go to install by either flashing the zip files or using odin.
A full wipe is not necessary but the benefit of formatting to the ext4 would be worth any extra effort to have the speed boost it offers.
The Following User Says Thank You to hhp_211 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp_211

If your comfortable with odin use that, but you will still need to use the zip install if the 4.5.2 patch regardless of which method you go with.

Ok, thanks for that info; i would not have known that.

Quote:

If i remember correctly the previous GW had the 2.9 recovery, so you would not need to install if that's correct.

Yes I believe it did; I mean I am sure it had recovery, because I installed the "ROM/Kernel/Modem/Recovery/Data Wipe Full Update" the first time.

Quote:

A full wipe is not necessary but the benefit of formatting to the ext4 would be worth any extra effort to have the speed boost it offers.

I allowed the ext4 formatting the first time I installed

Thank you & wish me luck!
Last edited by beebelo; 2nd February 2014 at 06:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to beebelo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th February 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
I haven't done my update yet because time has been limited and I don't want to start something and have it go wrong at midnight, in which case I'll be up all night...

More questions, but first, here is the ROM info so you know exactly what is on my Fascinate:
Android version: 4.2.2
Kernel version: djp952@BREHMM-LINUX-M #1, Sun Mar31 23:32:20 EDT 2013
Build number: full_atlas-userdebug 4.2.2 JDQ39 20130403.103839 test-keys
Based on the above, do I need to install the recovery? (I would ask this in djp952's developer thread, but can't since I don't have enough posts).

As for the sequence of this process, is this right:
  1. In Odin, install the GeeWiz Media 4.5 ROM/Kernel (ODIN) file, "geewiz-media-4.5-syskernel-20130913.tar.md5", without having to clear anything or wipe anything?
  2. Next install the GeeWiz 2.9 Recovery (ODIN) file, "geewiz-recovery-2.9-20130305.tar.md5" -- if that is necessary.
    OR can I put both of these files into ODIN at the same time?
  3. Next copy the GeeWiz Media 4.5.2 Patch (EDIFY Update-Zip) to my SD card root, and install it by the other method (booting into recovery mode or whatever you call it)... I hate being ignorant, sorry!

The howto's I've read--the ones that have noob-oriented specifics--are instructing from the CWM perspective, and that's why I get kinda stressed out about this, since I'm not really sure and don't want to find out I made a bad assumption in the middle of the process.

A teenie bit of hand-holding will be immensely appreciated!
Last edited by beebelo; 4th February 2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: formatting
5th February 2014, 06:17 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Thumbs up
Well I did it and all seems well... and it's only 1AM.

1. I had frozen some Gapps with Titanium Backup. Thought it might be a good idea to unfreeze everything first.
2. Used Odin to install the System/Kernel tarball
3. Unplugged and replugged Odin and installed the Recovery(Odin) tarball
4. Rebooted twice just to be sure, but it seemed ready-to-use after the first bootup
5. Uploaded the update.zip patch file to the SD card root
6. Followed general instructions for installing SD card update.zip, to get the 4.5.2 patch on there.

Luckily there were no issues and I can go to sleep listening to music!
Last edited by beebelo; 5th February 2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: clarity

The Following User Says Thank You to beebelo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread