Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 52,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Screen quality is terrible...anyone else?

Tip us?

aplacetorest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Screen quality is terrible...anyone else?

So i got a note 3, hoping to have a sharper screen than my Galaxy S3, boy was i wrong! Does anyone else see that when zooming in or even just viewing pictures in the gallery (not even ones taken with camera) they come up looking low quality? Almost blotchy? I go to look at the same exact picture on my s3 and on my laptop and oh man the s3 and laptop beat out the Note 3 by miles. The pictures are crystal clear on the s3 and laptop....

does anyone else have this issue? Know what im talking about? Is there a fix?

Duce HD2
Old
Thanks Meter 320
Are you high? I had the S3 a while back and this display is far superior in color and detail...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
S-Off - Root - TWRP - RUNNING [ROM] Bad Boyz Sprint ONE M8 ROMz | 4.4.3 | Sense 6 | Deodexed | Harman Kardon
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Duce HD2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aplacetorest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce HD2 View Post
Are you high? I had the S3 a while back and this display is far superior in color and detail...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
im thinking it has to do with the fact that these screens use the "diamond" type of pixels or something. The way it displays image quality is just awful (not with all images, but a lot of downloaded pictures from the internet. Things id like to set as wallpaper etc. They look great on the s3 and laptop, but terrible, blotchy and blocky on the note 3)

aplacetorest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
anyone??

skippyg
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplacetorest View Post
anyone??

I've gone from using my 1080p laptop, old S3, and ONe X and by far the Note 3's quality blows them all out of the water... Not only is the pixel density super high but the quality of display is flat out the best their is. This is objectively and factually speaking of course.
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

Also, make sure the source your downloading form is high quality stuff. The picture needs to be at least 1920x1080 to take advantage of all those pixels. Anything less the phone will stretch out...
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chompone
Old
Thanks Meter 9
As far is the 'diamond pixel' arrangement, you are probably referring to the pentile matrix that the Note 3 uses. There are some benefits to this style, versus RGB that is more commonly used, but I don't particularly like it. The problem is that it effectively uses less pixels - well, technically subpixels - than 'normal'. If you compare a Galaxy S3 screen to a contemporary's screen, like the One X, you'll see how much clearer the One X screen looks.

HOWEVER

With the standard now being 1080P screens, pentile screens look really, really good. After my note 1, I thought I'd never get a pentile screen again, but with the pixel density being so high with 1080P, there is essentially no graininess with the screen on my Note 3.

You'll see that many phone sites and reviews list the note 3's screen as one of the best, highest quality displays despite being pentile. In fact, my wife's LG G2 has perhaps THE best mobile phone screen (SLCD3), it doesn't look all that much better than my note 3, IMO.

Also, your Galaxy S3 (and S4 for that matter) is a Pentile screen with LOWER resolution, so my guess is that it's not that screen but perhaps the pictures that you are viewing. Are the pictures exactly the same as far as resolution and compression? I have yet to see a blurry grainy picture on my Note 3 that looked clear on another phone.

The note 3 screen is much much better than the S3 screen, and they use the same tech. Unless you are using a microscope...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chompone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aplacetorest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chompone View Post
As far is the 'diamond pixel' arrangement, you are probably referring to the pentile matrix that the Note 3 uses. There are some benefits to this style, versus RGB that is more commonly used, but I don't particularly like it. The problem is that it effectively uses less pixels - well, technically subpixels - than 'normal'. If you compare a Galaxy S3 screen to a contemporary's screen, like the One X, you'll see how much clearer the One X screen looks.

HOWEVER

With the standard now being 1080P screens, pentile screens look really, really good. After my note 1, I thought I'd never get a pentile screen again, but with the pixel density being so high with 1080P, there is essentially no graininess with the screen on my Note 3.

You'll see that many phone sites and reviews list the note 3's screen as one of the best, highest quality displays despite being pentile. In fact, my wife's LG G2 has perhaps THE best mobile phone screen (SLCD3), it doesn't look all that much better than my note 3, IMO.

Also, your Galaxy S3 (and S4 for that matter) is a Pentile screen with LOWER resolution, so my guess is that it's not that screen but perhaps the pictures that you are viewing. Are the pictures exactly the same as far as resolution and compression? I have yet to see a blurry grainy picture on my Note 3 that looked clear on another phone.

The note 3 screen is much much better than the S3 screen, and they use the same tech. Unless you are using a microscope...
same pictures, same files, it just looks like the phone is rendering the image and it is doing it wrong.

ok so let me attempt at making an analogy type of thing. When theres a low resolution image and you zoon in,normally it gets all blocky and distorted yes? Sometimes thing dont go blocky, they go blurry and almost have that "oil painted" look when zoomed in too far. That very look is how my note 3 is handling some images without even zooming in. whereas on my s3, they were crystal clear, and on the laptop they were as well. On my laptop i can see specific lines and details in the image that dont even show with my note 3 because of the way the image is being displayed in a awful manner. its almost as if certain parts of the image are blurry and blotchy. But only on the note 3 screen. (and no, its not that part of the screen, cause of course everything else like play store looks normal and gorgeous) so i think im just upset in how the note 3 is handling image processing.

micmars
Old
Thanks Meter 8766
Quote:
same pictures, same files, it just looks like the phone is rendering the image and it is doing it wrong.

ok so let me attempt at making an analogy type of thing. When theres a low resolution image and you zoon in,normally it gets all blocky and distorted yes? Sometimes thing dont go blocky, they go blurry and almost have that "oil painted" look when zoomed in too far. That very look is how my note 3 is handling some images without even zooming in. whereas on my s3, they were crystal clear, and on the laptop they were as well. On my laptop i can see specific lines and details in the image that dont even show with my note 3 because of the way the image is being displayed in a awful manner. its almost as if certain parts of the image are blurry and blotchy. But only on the note 3 screen. (and no, its not that part of the screen, cause of course everything else like play store looks normal and gorgeous) so i think im just upset in how the note 3 is handling image processing.
Perhaps go compare the same photo at a Sprint store (or any other retailer).

I've looked close up on hundreds of original res photos between my laptop, Nexus 7 2013, and this phone, with the laptop and the phone at 1080p, and the phone looks perfect. I used for just this question a photo I threw in my Dropbox account, and zoomed in close.

Perhaps you've got a bad phone. If so, you'll be able to return it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
"...dismiss whatever insults your own soul." - Whitman
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them." - Louis CK

aplacetorest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmars View Post
Perhaps go compare the same photo at a Sprint store (or any other retailer).

I've looked close up on hundreds of original res photos between my laptop, Nexus 7 2013, and this phone, with the laptop and the phone at 1080p, and the phone looks perfect. I used for just this question a photo I threw in my Dropbox account, and zoomed in close.

Perhaps you've got a bad phone. If so, you'll be able to return it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
im going to screenshot to compare and show you guys so no one thinks im crazy lol
The Following User Says Thank You to aplacetorest For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aplacetorest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
im going to screenshot to compare and show you guys so no one thinks im crazy lol
Ok so heres a comparison. A good picture to show details indeed. Tattoo quality etc. Notice on the note how minor details get "blurred" and distorted. and thats zoomed in. The same zoom was applied to the one on the laptop. And on the S3 it looks just like the laptop

The Note 3 processes images differently, and i hate it. See what i mean by low image quality?