[HOWTO] Hard Bricking E975

Tip us?

goodmamba
Old
(Last edited by goodmamba; 1st July 2013 at 09:33 PM.) Reason: update 2
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 255
Default [HOWTO] Hard Bricking E975

Yesterday I manage to hard-brick my Optimus G (intl) E975.
The process was quite simple, root, unlock bootloader, flash CyanogenMod, flash custom kernel F93, install FauxClock (paid version on Google Play). In this app (FauxClock), in the screen gamma settings you have an option to download a kernel enhancer. I downloaded the kernel enhancer provided in the app and its name was something like "all_kernels_enhancements_mako.zip". After download, I booted in recovery and flashed that "all kernels enhancement" .... and hard bricked it was!

The phone now won't start and all it does is to blink an Red Led (of death). I can't go intro recovery with any button combination. Only the red led. I hopped that it lacks battery juice and I put it overnight for charging but no change.
It looks like the zip was meant for the Mako (Nexus 4) kernels, not for L975

I searched on the web how to re-write phone's boot images and I found that there is a JTAG method for that using a device called RIFF. It implies that you open your phone and connect some plugs and re-write the nand flash. I searched some more and I found a guy in my town that does this kind of things. I met that guy and, for now, it seems that the re-write process is available only for the e970, e971, e973 variants of the phone, but he will try it on e975 anyways.
Right now I'm waiting some news for this guy. Keep my fingers crossed.

Update 1:
That guy with the JTAG has a hard time making my phone to boot.
Meanwhile I contacted LG service and they told me that they can try to fix it but there is a chance that the mainboard has to be replaced(?) as the phone is not recognized by the computer. They also told me that hard-bricking can appear even when flashing official firmwares.
As I am in a big hurry with this repairing stuff I don't know what to do.

Update 2:
In the end, after 8 hours of hard working, that guy made the best finding the right file to flash with some international help, made the right JTAG shouldering and finally, IT'S ALIVE!
My dear phone is now up and running. I just rooted it, unlocked it and flashed CM 10.1 again with the F93 kernel. Fortunately I made a backup 5 days ago so I lost almost nothing.
It was a good lesson and a first in Romania
If my post was somehow helpful, please hit the THANKS button.
Phone: LG G2 (D802) 32Gb black, ROM: CloudyPro II 1.2, Recovery: Phil's Touch CWM.
Phone: LG Optimus G (E975), ROM: CM 11, Baseband: 10d
Phone: LG Optimus 2X (P990), ROM: Stock 30a TWRP, Baseband: v30a
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goodmamba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Unreal_Shogo
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmamba View Post
Yesterday I manage to hard-brick my Optimus G (intl) E975.
The process was quite simple, root, unlock bootloader, flash CyanogenMod, flash custom kernel F93, install FauxClock (paid version on Google Play). In this app (FauxClock), in the screen gamma settings you have an option to download a kernel enhancer. I downloaded the kernel enhancer provided in the app and its name was something like "all_kernels_enhancements_mako.zip". After download, I booted in recovery and flashed that "all kernels enhancement" .... and hard bricked it was!

The phone now won't start and all it does is to blink an Red Led (of death). I can't go intro recovery with any button combination. Only the red led. I hopped that it lacks battery juice and I put it overnight for charging but no change.
It looks like the zip was meant for the Mako (Nexus 4) kernels, not for L975

I searched on the web how to re-write phone's boot images and I found that there is a JTAG method for that using a device called RIFF. It implies that you open your phone and connect some plugs and re-write the nand flash. I searched some more and I found a guy in my town that does this kind of things. I met that guy and, for now, it seems that the re-write process is available only for the e970, e971, e973 variants of the phone, but he will try it on e975 anyways.
Right now I'm waiting some news for this guy. Keep my fingers crossed.
I don't have much experience but i have understood that JTAG is compatible with all the android smartphones, even there's a video in youtube explaining the process. I hope that works for you mate, I have my E977 hard bricked too but I'll take to SAT in a few hours. Good luck
This is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NRXhJxbtYY

goodmamba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal_Shogo View Post
I don't have much experience but i have understood that JTAG is compatible with all the android smartphones, even there's a video in youtube explaining the process. I hope that works for you mate, I have my E977 hard bricked too but I'll take to SAT in a few hours. Good luck
This is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NRXhJxbtYY
Thanks Unreal_Shogo,
I saw that movie yesterday and this is how I found out that there is a solution for my problem.
Phone: LG G2 (D802) 32Gb black, ROM: CloudyPro II 1.2, Recovery: Phil's Touch CWM.

ZiDanRO
Old
Thanks Meter 7
A few notes on hard bricked LG E975 in general:
- after a phone is bricked, don't try anymore to charge it, because it will only consume the rest of the battery. The phone after that many hours of charging it had only 3 volts instead of 3.7 minimum. Android phones control the charging process by software, not hardware. And if you push the power or you will connect the phone to the charger it will consume completely the battery and you can't stop it if you can't disassembly the phone and disconnect the battery
- this model, compared with e970, e971, e973, it is different and harder to solder the wires, because the JTAG connections are on the other said of the board, not like the one from the video.
- the boot it is not compatible with the other models and it is very hard to find the correct files. But with some stubbornness there is nothing you can't do

Not all the androids can be repaired with JTAG because the manufacturer sometimes disable it. So never be so confident, that you can repaire the phone with a few bucks and no need to replace the mainboard. For example Motorola had only 2 or 3 models witch can be repaired.

And finally I am glad that you already customized your phone like before you bricked the phone and you came to me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZiDanRO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

goodmamba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 255
Thank you ZiDanRO, you made the impossible, possible
The Following User Says Thank You to goodmamba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marko_s
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Unbrick Optimus G E975 - restore backup files possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmamba View Post
Thank you ZiDanRO, you made the impossible, possible
Hello all,

I bicked my E975 using FreeGee app. I tried to unlock it and it gave me a error message. Than I tried to restore backup and I get error message, again. The next thing I did, reboot the phone. After reboot, phone did not power on.

I have all backup files (.img files includes m9kefs, aboot, boot, recovery, sbl... etc) and I need to find a way to restore it.
When I connect phone to PC, it detect it as QDLoader device.

When I plug-in USB, charging led powers up for 3 seconds and goes off. At the same time I can hear windows sound (plug-in and plug-out USB sound). I have downloaded KDZ image and KDZ updater but it did not detect my phone.

I gave phone to friend of mine, he have riff box. He tried to resurect it but riff did not detect (as he said) the phone. sound like a impossible. What do you think?

Can someone help me with this, please.

Sorry for my bad english :/

kimitza
Old
Thanks Meter 571

DONATE TO ME
Zidan made it clear,not everybody knows how to fix it. yeah,your phone is hard bricked.
You have 2 choices : send it to zidanro or to warranty.but i'm sure the warranty is void.

Smart phones, dumb people!!!
Freaking Annoying Questions (aka FAQ)- LG Optimus G(Intl)
MOD STOCK ROM WITH XPOSED FRAMEWORK
I don't offer support via PM. At least,not for free. Time=money.

goodmamba
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimitza View Post
Zidan made it clear,not everybody knows how to fix it. yeah,your phone is hard bricked.
You have 2 choices : send it to zidanro or to warranty.but i'm sure the warranty is void.
Quoting my private message to marko_s for everyone's benefit:

Take it to a cell/mobile service shop and JTAG the phone. It means that your phone will be open, some wires soldered on the chipset and the propper files re-flashed on the phone using a special software.

marko_s
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default JTAG soldering

Hello,

thank You for respond. I send it to ONE service guy, friend of mine, and he connected it to riff box. Riff did not detect the phone.
I'm only asking if there is another schematics/a tip to connect it to riff in proper way to get it work.

Also, what is possibility that there is something wrong with riff and or way that connects to phone and can not detect it?
I think can phone be bricked so hard that riff can not help in this situation. ?

It is not burned in fire. PC detect it. So I think that there is something wrong with procedure he used to connect it and "flash" NAND chip.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Phone is out of warranty, it's opened and soldered.

Thank you guys!

2nd Sky
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Hi, youre a lucky boy

Haha, you can install a mako rom, without brick, it will boot!
belive me!
(issues are no radio (2g, 3g etc..) , invent volume button, camera (not testet

i think combination e975 kernel and mako patch was bad idea
LG Optimus G E975
StockRom with Xposed || MIUI v5 <3