How to update from ME7 to MJ7, root, install safetrap and HD11 guide
>>>>>>>Steps are similar if you are going to Hyperdrive 12.0 safestrap version<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
First of all, I am not expert and have made plenty of mistakes and mis-steps in my history of rooting and installing ROMS on my phones and tablets, never hard or soft brick but caused myself plenty of headaches. Secondly, no guide is foolproof and you have to educate yourself before proceeding to understand Odin function, ADB function, samsung drivers, saferoot, and safestrap. So please proceed with at your own peril and please add and/or correct as needed...
If you are an old hat at this, then doing all this is pretty much a breeze. If you are a noobie, read , read read read...and then read again. Look at youtube videos and be prepared for things not to go completely as planned.
ALWAYS check to see if your downloads are good, thats why we have the MD5 checksum and many free MD5 checkers out there. I use
MD5 Check Utility v2.31 from TSoft Ltd.
"Disclaimer: rooting your phone entails risk. You may brick it, cause it to catch fire, cause it to form the first node in the Skynet network, or otherwise render it inoperable. Please read the directions carefully to ensure that nothing unexpected happens. This rooting tool is as safe as I can make it, but there's never any guarantees.">>>>k1mu
this also goes with odin flashing, installing custom ROMS and modules and just about anything else we do to mod our phones.
1. get Odin installed on your computer and make sure you have necessary Samsung drivers. I used odin 3.07. You can do some searches in xda to find the download
youtube that gives some good information
NOTE: do a preliminary check to verify you communication between your phone and odin !!!
2. get familiar with adb. k1mu did include adb exe in his saferoot buts good to be sure everything is working and communicating
this is an excellent guide, my only addition to the guide is the 64bit window version of both java and sdk just wouldn't install right on my computer so I did the 32bit versions with no issues
NOTE: do the preliminary check to verify communication between phone and computer.
2. download saferoot to your computer
3. download the MJ7 full wipe tarball image to your computer >>>>>WARNING: Please use this with caution as this will wipe your ENTIRE device with no chance of restoring back old data afterwords<<<<<< DOES NOT wipe ext-sd card
4. download safe strap 3.70 to your computer
5. download HD11 to your computer
6. download kernel model to your computer, this is for the MJ7 base and is used to flash immediately after flashing HD11 and before first boot
Please note that I have only installed HD11 to a ROM slot and not to the stock slot and my guideline is for doing it to a ROM SLOT 1
1. do complete uninstall of SS
2. Flash the stock MJ7 odin full wipe image
3. Root via Saferoot
4. Install SS, Run SS, install recovery, reboot to recovery, create ROM slot 1
5. Install HD11, Install MJ7 Modules.
If you coming from ME7 or Mi7, I would suggest doing a manual uninstall of SS before proceeding to flashing MJ7 full wipe tarball
following hashcodes steps.
HOW TO MANUALLY REMOVE SAFESTRAP:
[ INSTRUCTIONS ONLY FOR v3.65. REMOVE VIA APK FOR v3.70+ ]
Enter adb shell from your pc:
mount -o remount,rw /system
mv /system/etc/init.qcom.modem_links.sh.bin /system/etc/init.qcom.modem_links.sh
rm -rf /system/etc/safestrap
ln -s /firmware/image/q6.mdt /system/etc/firmware/q6.mdt
mount -o remount,ro /system
Step 2, ODIN 3.07
a. no not have phone plugged in, have phone turned off
b. place (phone)>>> download mode<<<< hold vol down and power on at same time until download screen appears
c, with odin on, plug in phone...com box should turn blue, tells you have communication between odin and phone
d. ON ODIN GUI>>>> checked auto reboot and f. Reset time.....
with 3.07 Odin add full wipe .tar file to PDA box (this does depends on ODIN Version) then
"start"....it erased whole device and install Mj7
e. odin install process takes approx: 10 mins, rebooting phone after install takes a while as it has to rebuild everything
f. phone will automatically reboot and go thru some functions
Step 3 Saferoot
once you are in Stock ROM, I bascially skipped thru the setup and went to enable developer options by tapping build number 7 times and then make sure you have USB debugging enabled
a. then enable usb debugging mode!!!!
b. make sure adb communication to phone prior to bat execution
c. follow the install steps as listed by k1mu in his thread
d. you should be rooted. I believe you want to run the SU program so binaries can be updated
Step 4 Install Safestrap
a. copy safestap apk, HD11zip and MJ7module zip to your phone. Now in my case, I know that safestrap recovery will not "read" my ext-sd card as haschcode is working on a fix so you will need to install these files somewhere on your system memory card. I chose the download folder.
b. Install the 3.70 Safestrap apk, information in that thread to do it. Once installed, run safestrap program and on the screen it says "install recovery" press that function. Now safestrap is installed
c. boot to safestrap recovery splash screen.
- create ROM SLOT 1 and set your allocations. As I had approx 10gb of "spare space" I split that in half so I had 5gb total dedicated to the 3 partitions for SLOT one. And I repeated for to create ROM SLOT 2 so I can load another rom once one comes out. The choice is clearly yours.
rememeber, you can direct all your data for music, video, and photos to be on your ext-sd card and won't tale space up in the ROM slots
Step 5 Install ROM
- once you have ROM SLOT 1 created, set it active and "INSTALL", the safestrap installer allows you to select upto 10 zip files to install. Select the HD11 zip and then select the MJ7 module zip
- sbreens aroma installer gives plenty of options, I recommend keeping options to a min. Do not load multiple music players or keyboards or the like. When the choice comes to "kernel" you can only use "stock kernel" with safestrap.
once both zips are installed, you can reboot the system and you come up into Hyperdrive. Remember this first boot will take some time as the system has to rebuild itself.
Now, nothing goes as plan and doing this is not for the faint of heart. I had several bumps in the process but the above steps (except for manual uninstall safestrap) are the steps I took. I emphasize to read the appropriate threads and see what issues people have gotten into before proceeding. And if we need to edit any of this PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!
I hope this helps....