LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Sync - charge cable

OP kkretch

26th January 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag near Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 411

891 posts
Anyone else surprised at how thick the Sync - charge cable is compared to the GT-N8000 series cable.

Does anyone know where to get a spare just like it except in black at a reasonable price?

27th January 2014, 07:51 AM   |  #2  
Flag Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 10

94 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkretch

Anyone else surprised at how thick the Sync - charge cable is compared to the GT-N8000 series cable.

Does anyone know where to get a spare just like it except in black at a reasonable price?

Not really. The cable for my S4 is pretty much exactly the same. The charger for my S4 has the highest current output of any of my chargers and I put the size of the cable down to a need for low resistance so the tablet can benefit fully from the high current.
28th January 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 251

1,687 posts
i did a big ole test with various chargers and cables with different devices and found this cable:http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_...seq=1&format=2 to be just as good as the stock cable on the stock charger according to kill-a-watt. the s4 and gnote 8 cable only pulled 10W while the monoprice and gn 10.1 2014 pulled 11W.
28th January 2014, 05:55 PM   |  #4  
Apex, NC
Thanks Meter: 7

18 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles

i did a big ole test with various chargers and cables with different devices and found this cable:http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_...seq=1&format=2 to be just as good as the stock cable on the stock charger according to kill-a-watt. the s4 and gnote 8 cable only pulled 10W while the monoprice and gn 10.1 2014 pulled 11W.

Odd that you had any kind of real world success with those cables. I have used Monoprice cables for years and love them, but I have several of those same cables in lengths from 3-15 feet and every one of them charges at half the rate or less of the stock cable. I normally get >1000 mAmp with the stock charger and cable, but only get ~500-750 mAmp with stock charger and any of my Monoprice cables I wish they charged at the same mAmp rate b/c I like having a longer charging cable. Has anyone else had this issue or found a 6 to 10 foot cable that still charges at the same mAmp rate of the stock cable?
28th January 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #5  
Flag Yorkshire

94 posts
More
If you double the length of a cable, you double its resistance. It's not possible for a longer cable to pass as much current unless it is proportionally thicker. The stock cable is both short and thick; that is why it works so well.
28th January 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #6  

1,687 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybc

Odd that you had any kind of real world success with those cables. I have used Monoprice cables for years and love them, but I have several of those same cables in lengths from 3-15 feet and every one of them charges at half the rate or less of the stock cable. I normally get >1000 mAmp with the stock charger and cable, but only get ~500-750 mAmp with stock charger and any of my Monoprice cables I wish they charged at the same mAmp rate b/c I like having a longer charging cable. Has anyone else had this issue or found a 6 to 10 foot cable that still charges at the same mAmp rate of the stock cable?

I was surprised myself. I have a lot of the six feet monoprice (or 5) and none of those pulled as much wattage. I was actually trying to see which workedmwith my t100 and found that the t100 3 footer and gn101 2014 and the monoprice 10footer were the only ones that pulled 11 watts. the 5 pulled only 8watts.

if I have time tomorrow I'll redo all my tests with various chargers and devices and list the killawatt results. I dont know how much current actually gets to the device, only whats being pulled from the wall. the charge percent per hour reported by bmw pro seems to show they equal though from a small sample.
29th January 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 22

102 posts
Is it bad to use the note charger to charge my s3?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
29th January 2014, 07:13 AM   |  #8  
Flag Yorkshire

94 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny tsunami

Is it bad to use the note charger to charge my s3?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Not at all. Any charger should work; the only difference between chargers is their maximum current output but the device determines what current it draws so there isn't any risk in using a charger with a higher maximum current than the supplied charger.
The Following User Says Thank You to lotus49 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2014, 12:22 PM   |  #9  

1,687 posts
i was corrected when i stated the same. the output of the gn10.1 charger is 5.3v while most others are 5v. it may not be enough difference to cause any harm, but be aware that there may be a chance of damage over time. the voltage will be constant, but the amperage is what is controlled by what the phone requests.

that said, i haven't had any problems with my s4, t100, gn8 or gn2 yet.
29th January 2014, 12:50 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 67

577 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles

I was surprised myself. I have a lot of the six feet monoprice (or 5) and none of those pulled as much wattage. I was actually trying to see which workedmwith my t100 and found that the t100 3 footer and gn101 2014 and the monoprice 10footer were the only ones that pulled 11 watts. the 5 pulled only 8watts.

if I have time tomorrow I'll redo all my tests with various chargers and devices and list the killawatt results. I dont know how much current actually gets to the device, only whats being pulled from the wall. the charge percent per hour reported by bmw pro seems to show they equal though from a small sample.

Any results from the monoprice cables? I need a few new cables as half of mine decided to go bad all at once

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread