5,597,937 Members 38,694 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is the typical battery life on a stock/unrooted One?

Tip us?

ctyonthehil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] What is the typical battery life on a stock/unrooted One?

First off, I would like to say that I have searched several times for this answer to no avail.

I just came from a Maxx HD (XT926) which obviously had phenomenal battery life. So I'm not terribly surprised by the reduced battery life moving to the One. However, I'm currently only getting about 8 hours off of the charger with 2.5 hours screen time. Via GSam, there do not appear to be any terrible wake locks or rampant apps running in the background. I typically observe a wake time of +/- 10 minutes from my screen on time.

My typical usage right now is some heavy texting, light Facebook browsing, a GroupMe thread, and that's about it.
System settings are generally screen brightness on one bar (from the notification pull down, not sure what the actual percentage is), wifi/bluetooth/gps OFF, NFC and mobile data on all the time.

I have disabled the location via wifi options, so that's not currently a factor either.

What is the typical off charger and screen time for you folks? I love the phone, but a bit frustrated with the ~10% per hour battery drain at idle...

Thanks in advance for any input!
Current Device: LG G2 (VZW) | ROM: Stock Rooted 4.2

D1 | Inc. | DX | Inc. 2 | Bionic | Lucid | Spectrum | Razr | Galaxy Nexus | Galaxy S3 | Razr HD | Inc4G | DNA | Galaxy S4 | Maxx HD | HTC One

synisterwolf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2069
unrooted this seems to be the norm. there's a slew of VZW bloat apps that will check to see if you are using them once an a while, also blink feed refreshing often will have this impact.

right now on rooted Ecliptic rom i can get about 12 hours up time with 3.5 hours screen and still have 45% battery left. This is mainly on 4g some WiFi. this a 4.4 rom and has the options to turn things off the stock system cant like blinkfeed.

-wait till the offical comes out ( rummored to be at the end of this month) it should help-
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
You learn something new everyday. Unless you have a brain injury, then it's all pretty much yelling and coloring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antp121
When life gets ya down, just stop, think and remember, "hey, at least i'm not ant". #BlameAnt

ctyonthehil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by synisterwolf View Post
unrooted this seems to be the norm. there's a slew of VZW bloat apps that will check to see if you are using them once an a while, also blink feed refreshing often will have this impact.

right now on rooted Ecliptic rom i can get about 12 hours up time with 3.5 hours screen and still have 45% battery left. This is mainly on 4g some WiFi. this a 4.4 rom and has the options to turn things off the stock system cant like blinkfeed.

-wait till the offical comes out ( rummored to be at the end of this month) it should help-
Thanks, Synisterwolf.

That definitely helps put to bed some of the concerns I was having.

I'm definitely not opposed to rooting, but if I remember correctly, build 2.10.605.1 doesn't yet have an exploit, correct?

Again, thanks for the input.

D1 | Inc. | DX | Inc. 2 | Bionic | Lucid | Spectrum | Razr | Galaxy Nexus | Galaxy S3 | Razr HD | Inc4G | DNA | Galaxy S4 | Maxx HD | HTC One

Fu5ion
Old
Thanks Meter 57
That seems low to me, even for stock. Granted I debloated even when I was running stock, since I was rooted. I was getting closer to 3.75 hours of screen time for that amount of time off charger. But like I said, I was debloated.

Edit: I also don't use NFC, so that was off too. Not sure how much NFC affects the battery, as I've never really used it on any phone I've had.

synisterwolf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu5ion View Post
That seems low to me, even for stock. Granted I debloated even when I was running stock, since I was rooted. I was getting closer to 3.75 hours of screen time for that amount of time off charger. But like I said, I was debloated.

Edit: I also don't use NFC, so that was off too. Not sure how much NFC affects the battery, as I've never really used it on any phone I've had.
there are a lot of things that can make the battery not last. i know the bloat the try to see ya is one of them

@ op no exploit as of yet. but on 4.4 you can go settngs > apps > all apps and click the ones you want to disable. its almost like uninstalling them for the non rooted devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
You learn something new everyday. Unless you have a brain injury, then it's all pretty much yelling and coloring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antp121
When life gets ya down, just stop, think and remember, "hey, at least i'm not ant". #BlameAnt

ctyonthehil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I think there's a disable option option in 4.3 as well, so I'll give that a try.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Maduro78
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Completely stock, bloatware disabled. 2.5 hours screen on 14 hours heavy use.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ctyonthehil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Ouch... I'm way off then.

Has anyone compiled a list of safely disabled bloatware for these? Or is it kind of trial and error?

merlin66676
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Stock won't let you disable anything that can cause issues, as far as I know.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using xda app-developers app
HTC Droid DNA
ROM: Whatever's cooking that looks tasty
Kernel: Like KFC the best but Popeyes is Ok also
Radio: Sirius or FM, no AM talk radio here.

ctyonthehil
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Awesome. Now hopefully there's less chance for me to bork my phone.