XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ota 4.3 & twrp 2.6.3.0

Tip us?

jziggy101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Ota 4.3 & twrp 2.6.3.0

I am relatively new to the HTC. I am running a Stock rooted image with TWRP 2.6.3.0 recovery.

The OTA for 4.3 came down and whenever I start the install the phone reboots and ends up in twrp recovery and I do not know where to go from there. I tried searching the forums but the search is down at the moment.

Here comes the Noob question : A little help please as I am not sure where to go next?
Jim

HTC One - Rooted
Nook Color - rooted
Asus Transformer TF101

generosity21
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I just asked almost the same question. One thing everyone says is don't take the OTA update.

I found a few places with the pre-rooted stock ROM update, but it does not include the firmware update, that is a separate flashable zip, but I'm not sure how to update the "Full Firmware w/o hboot, boot, recovery" without S-off. I don't know if doing the "full firmware update" will mess up my recovery/root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2467607
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=46110767

jziggy101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by generosity21 View Post
I just asked almost the same question. One thing everyone says is don't take the OTA update.

I found a few places with the pre-rooted stock ROM update, but it does not include the firmware update, that is a separate flashable zip, but I'm not sure how to update the "Full Firmware w/o hboot, boot, recovery" without S-off. I don't know if doing the "full firmware update" will mess up my recovery/root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2467607
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=46110767
I have been all over the forums looking at this and came up with squat.

If I take the OTA will I loose root? Can't seem to find an answer to that.

I was running an earlier version of twrp and thought that might be the issue but after updating twrp I am still at the same place. The sprint update notifications are still coming.

If I find something I will post it here.
Jim

HTC One - Rooted
Nook Color - rooted
Asus Transformer TF101
The Following User Says Thank You to jziggy101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kraizk
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Must be on stock firmware and recovery to take the update guys.... It has been posted numerous times. You must also ahve the stock kernel.

Yes you will lose root if you take the OTA, you always do. Also TWRP appears to be broken with 4.3, no responsive, etc, etc
HTC 8125
HTC Tilt
Samsung Blackjack II
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPad
Motorola Atrix
HTC VIVID
HTC Inspire
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
HTC ONE X+
HTC ONE (SPRINT)
Eee Pad Transformer
Eee Pad Transformer Prime
NEXUS 7

Aldo101t
Old
Thanks Meter 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jziggy101 View Post
I am relatively new to the HTC. I am running a Stock rooted image with TWRP 2.6.3.0 recovery.

The OTA for 4.3 came down and whenever I start the install the phone reboots and ends up in twrp recovery and I do not know where to go from there. I tried searching the forums but the search is down at the moment.

Here comes the Noob question : A little help please as I am not sure where to go next?
you can't flash the update with custom recovery installed, you need thev stock recovery image which is posted numerous times in this forum

PillowMetal
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
The OTA for 4.3 came down and whenever I start the install the phone reboots and ends up in twrp recovery and I do not know where to go from there.
You have to have stock recovery to take the OTA

Quote:
You can take the OTA if you are prepared for, and know what to do - also, don't take it if you are currently S-ON and ever want S-OFF because it comes with a new hboot.

Quote:
If I take the OTA will I loose root? Can't seem to find an answer to that.
Yes, you will probably lose root unless you are using the OTA preservation function of SuperSU and it works for you, but either way, it is easy to get it back.

Bottom line, how you take the OTA depends on whether you are S-ON or S-OFF, the latter is much easier. Assuming you are S-ON and running the Sprint stock ROM, here is what you need to do.

1. Flash stock recovery.
2. Lock the bootloader
3. Take the OTA update
4. Unlock the bootloader
5. Flash custom recovery (TWRP)
6. Flash root (SuperSU)

If you are S-off you can skip numbers 2 and 4.
Device: Sprint HTC One | Hardware: 0004 | Software: 3.05.651.6
Radio: 1.00.20.1108 | PRI: 4.38_003 | PRL: 55017
Bootloader: S-OFF LOCKED | Hboot: 1.55.0000 Jan 3 2014
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0 | Kernel: 3.4.10-g06ba99c ROM: Stock
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PillowMetal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

generosity21
Old
(Last edited by generosity21; 3rd October 2013 at 07:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo101t View Post
you can't flash the update with custom recovery installed, you need thev stock recovery image which is posted numerous times in this forum
Thanks for the replies. It's very confusing whether people are referencing the OTA update, or the tweaked, rooted downloadable update (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=46110767). This forum should be friendly to questions when things are confusing.

Even with the two replies on this thread, it's still not clear to me if the downloadable (NOT OTA) updates can be flashed with a custom recovery, or what the procedure is for an S-On device regarding firmware and ROM updates. Sorry to offend anyone if they feel this has been answered somewhere in the forums, but it's still unclear to some of us.

EDIT:
@PillowMetal Thanks for the very helpful reply. I guess the next question is, is it possible to get S-Off on 1.31.651.2 without losing everything?

jmsdahutt
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraizk View Post
Must be on stock firmware and recovery to take the update guys.... It has been posted numerous times. You must also ahve the stock kernel.

Yes you will lose root if you take the OTA, you always do. Also TWRP appears to be broken with 4.3, no responsive, etc, etc
If your not stock ota will mess you up big time. I just rooted my HTC one on sprint with the update that was on a swap out for bad speakers . Twrp isn't responsive if you use the one in toolkit. I downloaded 2.6.3 loaded it in the data folder of toolkit installed through the toolkit and bam... I got response out of Twrp. I'll find the link and post for you guys.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

PillowMetal
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
@PillowMetal Thanks for the very helpful reply. I guess the next question is, is it possible to get S-Off on 1.31.651.2 without losing everything?
Not without losing everything because it requires tricking your bootloader by writing to your misc partition, then running the 1.29 RUU - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2390821
Device: Sprint HTC One | Hardware: 0004 | Software: 3.05.651.6
Radio: 1.00.20.1108 | PRI: 4.38_003 | PRL: 55017
Bootloader: S-OFF LOCKED | Hboot: 1.55.0000 Jan 3 2014
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0 | Kernel: 3.4.10-g06ba99c ROM: Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to PillowMetal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmsdahutt
Old
Thanks Meter 4
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7wls

This is the link for people who are stock and unlocking their phone. If you're using the toolkit put it in the data folder and rename to twrp. Be careful though the other files are the same name but in capital letters! Flash it and u will have responsive twrp and rooted 4.3 ota

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Anyone having poor reception?