Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 50,464 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

higher pixel density but looks similar to lower pix phone

Tip us?

Hate Android Lag
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default higher pixel density but looks similar to lower pix phone

xperia z1 has 441 pixel density, but the display look similar to other lower pixel density phone like xperia sola. why?can someone explain? z1 shown on sony centre booth for hands on has a very crisp display, am i being cheated?
Hit Ta THANKS Button If Someone Helped U, It Wont Be That Difficult~
The Following User Says Thank You to Hate Android Lag For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ishaqs60
Old
Thanks Meter 59

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Android Lag View Post
xperia z1 has 441 pixel density, but the display look similar to other lower pixel density phone like xperia sola. why?can someone explain? z1 shown on sony centre booth for hands on has a very crisp display, am i being cheated?
Well my friend its share you got this phone if can't tell the difference... How sharp the screen looks depends on the image it shows.... Also you can open any Internet browser on both z1 And sola As you mention, then open any web page with text And zoom in all the way if you still can't see the difference Then you need to get glasses or Have your eyes checked... Peace

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishaqs60 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

olokos
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1069

DONATE TO ME
Well higher resolution means that you will see worse display from low quality material and epic quality from full HD material. DVD rips looked fine on my Xperia Play (480x854) and on XZ1 they don't look good.
If you have a big TV or monitor above 23" you surely will know what I'm talking about.
Websites, UI and stuff like this look perfectly fine. It's up to the resolution how does it look on the screen.

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka
My work on xda and things I'm proud of:

If you want me to reply then please quote my post or mention me by writing @olokos. This way you can be sure I'll reply.
Away on 2 weeks holidays where I barely get to use the internet there. Will be back past 02.08.2014
The Following User Says Thank You to olokos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Minibull
Old
(Last edited by Minibull; 21st January 2014 at 07:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I kinda noticed "grainyness" with the display when viewing videos. Really didn't like it at all, and it looked bad compared to the Xperia S I had been using a week prior.

Well, I found that while the X-Reality setting made colours "pop" in videos and pictures, things seemed to get kinda grainy looking. I've been running with it off for a few days now, and I reckon it looks much clearer now. Plus, vids and pics don't look like they have been artificially tweaked with.

mm79k
Old
Thanks Meter 30
This is the worst 1080p screen I have ever seen in a mobile phone.

Phone is owesome, but the screen!!!

ashouhdy
Old
Thanks Meter 259
don have any problems with the display ! its super sharp and to notice the diff. u need to view a full HD image any low quality pic will look worse as the display will DISPLAY more of it hope u got what i mean.

Another test open any PDf .. on 1080p displays you will read the texts much easier but on low ppi u will need to zoom in alittle to make it clear.

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashouhdy View Post
Another test open any PDf .. on 1080p displays you will read the texts much easier but on low ppi u will need to zoom in alittle to make it clear.
+1
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

shook187
Old
Thanks Meter 804
I have to agree, this screen sucks compared to any other 1080p screen. But I have to admit there are moments when the screen makes me say wow that looks amazing but unfortunately the Sun moon and stars have to line up correctly for me to say that

Sent from my Xperia Z1s
The Following User Says Thank You to shook187 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by shook187 View Post
But I have to admit there are moments when the screen makes me say wow that looks amazing but unfortunately the Sun moon and stars have to line up correctly for me to say that
LOL! so is not that bad..
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

One Twelve
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Android Lag View Post
Sola is 3.7 inches and has a ppi of 265.

300 dpi is the norm when printing beyond which telling the difference gets harder.

you're about 40 ppi away from being able to tell the difference. The difference will not be that significant but if you look carefully it will be there. Which to you means the display looks similar. Had the sola screen been bigger and the ppi around 200 then the difference would have been more prominent when compared to Z1.