Freezing/SOD Issues on 4.4 KK Roms [Serious Discussions]

Search This thread

ckyy

May 16, 2013
Hello everyone,

This Thread is not supposed to be some offtopic discussion or flaming etc.

I'm creating this thread because alot of people have to those issues, which results in spam in every dev-thread.
So why not create a seperate thread for exactly this issue? It might even help the developers find the cause.
If you don't have this issue, DON'T POST. SAYING "I DON'T HAVE ANY ISSUES, EVERYTHING IS FINE" DOES NOT HELP ANY ONE.

Anyway, let's begin :

If you've been using 4.4 on your G2, then you're probably familiar with the screen of death bug.

What exactly is this?
Well, since the first CM11 nightly there has been the following issue : When doing random things on your phone (let's say write a message), the phone would start to "slow down", "lag", " get sluggish". Whatever you want to call it. When you scroll up and down, it feels like using a single core device from 2010 with 800 mhz. Switching between apps causes the animation to stutter and be choppy (looks like 15-20 FPS?). Now, if you turn the display off and on again, everything's fine again. If you don't switch the display off, you'll get the screen of death (complete freeze of the phone, sometimes sound keeps playing and vibration works). If you now try to switch off the display, it will eventually unfreeze. I couldn't figure out the exactly how long it takes to freeze, but it seems like a 10 seconds.

Now why is this such a big problem ?
As you can imagine, there are situations where such a freeze is the last thing you want to happen (I understand that 4.4 is not completely ready, but some roms are being considered totally stable...which is clearly not the case). I have a lot of respect for every dev working on this device and i don't want to tell anyone what to do BUT i feel like this issue has not been getting the attention it should.
Because it happens on every KK Roms (PA, CM, Mahdi, Vanir etc.) it's even worse. Some people advice to disable TB, SuperSU Notifications, raise voltages etc. but that doesn't help.

So what can we do about it?

Probably nothing. But we can post our setups. When and how it happens. Which Roms is being used. What Kernel and so on to give the devs atleast a bit of insight.
So please use this form :
Code:
Phone : 
Rom : 
Kernel : 
Gapps : 
How often does it freeze : 
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : 
Logs (if you can provide them) :
Comments :

My Report :
Code:
Phone : D802
Rom : VanirAOSP 01/28/14
Kernel : Vanir/furnace 0.1.3 AOSP
Gapps : 1/11/2014 GApps Core 4.4.2
How often does it freeze : 3-4 times a day (i can prevent some by turning the screen off)
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : During random tasks such as chrome, youtube, reddit sync etc.
Logs (if you can provide them) : Will post some later and edit. Don't have access to my phone right now.
Comments : Stock Voltages (raising does not help), Ondemand/Interactive GOV, ROW, Stock clocks.

Once again, please don't clutter this thread with unneeded discussions. If it helps to solve the problems it's totally fine.

Last edited:

matheus_sc

Mar 27, 2011
Barretos-SP
Cause of this is some root apps, like titanium, You can set super su tô always accept root acess and dont log, dont ask anything. Tribais maybe helps.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lazy79

Dec 13, 2008
Munich
politics2day.eu
Rom : CM11 (current nightly)
Kernel : CM(CAF)/furnace 0.1.3 AOSP
Gapps : PA
How often does it freeze : 3-4 / day
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : When starting radom apps such as Tapatalk, Chrome, YouTube, Hangouts..

Logs (if you can provide them) : Follow after work..

Comments : Stock Voltages, IntelliDemand/OnDemand GOV, ROW/Deadline, Stock clocks

(SuperSu set to automatically approve, no log - still freezes)

ckyy

May 16, 2013

provolinoo

Nov 19, 2010
Milano
Phone : G2 D802 32GB
Rom : CyanogenMod 11 (latest nightly)
Kernel : Furnace 0.1.3
Gapps : PA GApps Stock 20140123
How often does it freeze : 3/4 times a day
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : it seems it doesn't matter, sometimes is Chrome, sometimes Hangouts, sometimes Android Settings
Logs (if you can provide them) : N/A
Comments : never used TB, the problem happens even with no-root apps, kernel used at stock settings

Last edited:

SeCKToR

Oct 6, 2011
Outworld
Phone : G2 D805
Rom : PA 01/30 (latest build)
Kernel : Furnace 0.1.3
Gapps : PA GApps Mini 20140123
How often does it freeze : 3/4 times a day
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : Everytime I remove the usb-otg drive, sometimes in the app drawer, chrome, greenify, Android settings...
Comments: Stock clocks and voltages, using the wheatley governor, row scheduler

SquireSCA

Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Subscribed, I will be watching this thread. I don't believe that there is a common cause, I think it is a flaw in the base itself, but it would be great if I am wrong and someone connects the dots and can fix this.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I would think that logcats and/or information like what speed the CPU is at, are there heavy CPU using apps, etc would be useful.

All probably needing adb and USB, so might invalidate the issue, but might be useful.

And BTW OP, don't be so quick to be dismissive when people post suggestions. Some root apps are known to cause slow-downs (100% cpu usage)

dmbardal

Phone : LG G2 D802 Int
Rom : Mahdi 31\1-14 Nightly
Kernel : PEAK 5.2
Gapps : 0-Day PA GApps Mini-package
How often does it freeze : A few times a day
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : Spotify, facebook, xda-developers app,
Comments : Stock Voltages, IntelliDemand/OnDemand GOV, ROW/Deadline, Stock clocks

ckyy

May 16, 2013
And BTW OP, don't be so quick to be dismissive when people post suggestions. Some root apps are known to cause slow-downs (100% cpu usage)

Here's the thing : It happens even when you freshly install a kitkat rom. Nothing installed but the rom itself. I also went ahead and disabled root. Same result. It's obvious that some apps cause 100% usage, but completely slowing down the phone and even freezing it is NOT normal behaviour. The fact alone that it doesn't happen on stock or CM 10.2 should give away that something is wrong. I don't want to offend, piss off or hurt anybody but i would like to see this sorted out eventually, or find a good workaround.

Reactions: lch920619x

Simba83

Jul 28, 2011
Phone : G2 D802 32GB
Rom : CyanogenMod 11 (latest nightly)
Kernel : Cm original
Gapps : PA GApps Stock 20140123
How often does it freeze : 1-8 times a day
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : Always freeze when i start titanium backup (transparent search window at start), Chrome when scrolling. Feels like it's when there is a transparent box of some kind
Comments : everything cm original. Doesnt use bt. Feels like it works better with trebuchet (no effects) than with nova(freezes more often with that one, just a feeling)

Edit: when this problem occurs i tap the power button and the lookscreen activates (after a while) then i can just use it as normal again. Some times a reboot is needed...
Skickat från min LG-D802 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

ckyy

May 16, 2013
I've noticed something strange. Sometimes right after recovering from a SOD, random apps such as systemui (on PA) would crash/force close. Anyone with the same behaviour?
I had this one earlier today vanir.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-30-22-12-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-30-22-12-54.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 345

dougiebee

Sep 21, 2007
Not sure if this is a red herring or not. I'm on the 0129 CM build, banks core gapps (full wipe install, came back from another rom). My uptime is 44 hours and I've had zero freezes.

Using trickster mod I set read ahead buffer size to 2048 and multicore power saving to 2.

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
Now don't hold me to this, but I installed SlimKat 2.4 on LS980, and had no freezes or lags. So I thought "Huh, wonder why?" Then I realized that I never enabled root via Dev Options, as it's disabled by default. I enabled root, and I had some minor freezes. For the past week, no ROM(not just SlimKat) has ever lagged while I had root explicitly blocked via the Dev Options. So at the moment I enable root just to do what I need to do(TB, Adaway, ROM tweaks, etc.) then disable root again. I could be(and probably am) wrong though. Just some food for thought.

Nov 21, 2011
Phone : G2 VS980
Rom : CyanogenMod 11 (latest nightly; 1/30)
Kernel : Cm original
Gapps : Banks GApps 1/16 Standard 4.4.2
How often does it freeze : 5-10 times a day
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : Only freezes when I turn the screen off. Double tap or hitting power button does not turn screen back on (ie, stays dark). I have to hold down power to reboot.
Comments : I love the CM11 ROM. The only issue I have is with the freeze after screen is turned off. It's starting to get really annoying, sadly. Seems like the more rooted apps I have...the worse it gets. But this is just a hunch. I'm also using the Nova Launcher and G2 Xposed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-31-10-00-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-01-31-10-00-10.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 295

xI mEzMeRiZe Ix

Jun 6, 2011
I think the biggest issue with this is that it is so random. There's no way to purposely replicate it and it never seems to repeat itself in the same scenarios. Sometimes it happens when I'm unlocking my phone. Sometimes when I hit the back or home button. Sometimes when I open an app. Sometimes when I'm making a call.

My only guess is that it has something to do with transitions. Whenever the screen is changing something is the only pattern I can see.

Ltilt2

Sep 1, 2010
Los Angeles
I think it only affects certain devices. Been running Mokee with zero sods or freezes. Of course I use my phone only to make calls, texts and emails. No games or social networking sites.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

droidphile

Jul 19, 2011
Bangalore
Samsung Galaxy S20
Firstly, I think this thread should be moved to Q&A section. Anyhow, I also have this freezing issue since long. Kmesg tells that the GPU composer crashed. Apparently the hw composer crashes randomly during an app open animation, keyboard popping animation, or portrait to landscape transition.

Reactions: xI mEzMeRiZe Ix

xI mEzMeRiZe Ix

Jun 6, 2011
Firstly, I think this thread should be moved to Q&A section. Anyhow, I also have this freezing issue since long. Kmesg tells that the GPU composer crashed. Apparently the hw composer crashes randomly during an app open animation, keyboard popping animation, or portrait to landscape transition.

Matches up quite well with my experience. An animation/transition is always involved.

Sent from my LG G2

ckyy

May 16, 2013
Matches up quite well with my experience. An animation/transition is always involved.

Sent from my LG G2

Guess we're onto something. I've also managed to get into trickster while it was lagging shortly before it froze. The CPU usage was totally fine, clock speeds and cores were acting normal aswell. So it's probably a GPU issue. Is there a way to observe GPU clock speeds, voltage etc. ?

Gesendet von meinem LG-D802 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

This Thread is not supposed to be some offtopic discussion or flaming etc.

I'm creating this thread because alot of people have to those issues, which results in spam in every dev-thread.
    So why not create a seperate thread for exactly this issue? It might even help the developers find the cause.
    If you don't have this issue, DON'T POST. SAYING "I DON'T HAVE ANY ISSUES, EVERYTHING IS FINE" DOES NOT HELP ANY ONE.

Anyway, let's begin :

If you've been using 4.4 on your G2, then you're probably familiar with the screen of death bug.

What exactly is this?
    Well, since the first CM11 nightly there has been the following issue : When doing random things on your phone (let's say write a message), the phone would start to "slow down", "lag", " get sluggish". Whatever you want to call it. When you scroll up and down, it feels like using a single core device from 2010 with 800 mhz. Switching between apps causes the animation to stutter and be choppy (looks like 15-20 FPS?). Now, if you turn the display off and on again, everything's fine again. If you don't switch the display off, you'll get the screen of death (complete freeze of the phone, sometimes sound keeps playing and vibration works). If you now try to switch off the display, it will eventually unfreeze. I couldn't figure out the exactly how long it takes to freeze, but it seems like a 10 seconds.

Now why is this such a big problem ?
    As you can imagine, there are situations where such a freeze is the last thing you want to happen (I understand that 4.4 is not completely ready, but some roms are being considered totally stable...which is clearly not the case). I have a lot of respect for every dev working on this device and i don't want to tell anyone what to do BUT i feel like this issue has not been getting the attention it should.
    Because it happens on every KK Roms (PA, CM, Mahdi, Vanir etc.) it's even worse. Some people advice to disable TB, SuperSU Notifications, raise voltages etc. but that doesn't help.

So what can we do about it?

Probably nothing. But we can post our setups. When and how it happens. Which Roms is being used. What Kernel and so on to give the devs atleast a bit of insight.
    So please use this form :
    Code:
    Phone : 
    Rom : 
    Kernel : 
    Gapps : 
    How often does it freeze : 
    When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : 
    Comments :

My Report :
    Code:
    Rom : VanirAOSP 01/28/14
    Kernel : Vanir/furnace 0.1.3 AOSP
    Gapps : 1/11/2014 GApps Core 4.4.2
    How often does it freeze : 3-4 times a day (i can prevent some by turning the screen off)
    When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : During random tasks such as chrome, youtube, reddit sync etc.
    Logs (if you can provide them) : Will post some later and edit. Don't have access to my phone right now.
    Comments : Stock Voltages (raising does not help), Ondemand/Interactive GOV, ROW, Stock clocks.

Once again, please don't clutter this thread with unneeded discussions. If it helps to solve the problems it's totally fine.

Here's the thing : It happens even when you freshly install a kitkat rom. Nothing installed but the rom itself. I also went ahead and disabled root. Same result. It's obvious that some apps cause 100% usage, but completely slowing down the phone and even freezing it is NOT normal behaviour. The fact alone that it doesn't happen on stock or CM 10.2 should give away that something is wrong. I don't want to offend, piss off or hurt anybody but i would like to see this sorted out eventually, or find a good workaround.
    I had 1-2 SODs a day while on CM. I switched to PA and installed PAEK v5.2 kernel no more SODs. Up time is currently 52 hours.
    For anyone having freezing/SOD issues on VS980 Omni or other AOSP type ROMs I highly recommend you try this kernel. I have had no freezes or SOD with it. The only things that don't work with it are GPS and recording video. So if someone can fix those issues then this is a very stable kernel/boot.img.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!BxQHnZRR!SpU80bb3Mz7ml0Eik5wHvi_df4C5wTrgpH3EwCELPLQ

Edit: link fixed

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk