5,599,135 Members 34,659 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

RUU Error 171 Stuck on waiting for boot loader

Tip us?

Okkoto
Old
(Last edited by Okkoto; 14th March 2013 at 02:48 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default RUU Error 171 Stuck on waiting for boot loader

As the title says, RUU attempts booting my phone but it never comes back on. Even selecting restart boot loader in fastboot or a command it doesn't power itself back on. I have read through other forums and nothing has worked for me yet.

EDIT: I should probably clarify fastboot usb WORKS. Ruu must see my phone considering it detects the ROM version and turns the phone off in attempt to reboot. Anything that I do that requires a reboot doesn't work. I have tried unlocking the bootloader again, everything is fine until it comes to rebooting then I must turn the phone on myself and nothing changes...... IT DOESN'T REBOOT ITSELF therefore seemingly nothing wants to work. And the HTC boot screen is gone??

More background information: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post39046436

a box of kittens
Old
Thanks Meter 454
What we're your steps exactly? Did you relock your bootloader
Lizards for lunch
Liverpool fc is the best! Chelsea suck!

Okkoto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by a box of kittens View Post
What we're your steps exactly? Did you relock your bootloader
Yes I did through fast boot with the oem lock command. I've tried installing RUU with a Windows 7 laptop (has HTC sync software) and Windows 8 desktop (basic drivers). Both failed, tried using Windows XP/Vista in compatibility modes and running as an admin with the same results.

iElvis
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1717
Error 171 is a connection error, meaning the RUU can't connect to/find your phone.

Try uninstalling HTC Sync, rebooting your pc, and installing it again. If you've got the Android SDK installed, be sure it's also fully updated.
Dynavin D99+ (///M3Evolution)

Retired
HTC One XL
iPhone 4
iPhone 3G

Generic Noob Advice
The name of this site is xda-developers, not xda-overly-entitled-users. Ponder this well.
Your best friend is the Search button.
Do you want to root and mod your phone? Click here.
Asking for the "best rom" at xda is like asking for the "best BBQ" in Texas.
A nandroid is like a fire extinguisher: You may never need it, but when you do, it's a life-saver.

Custom HTC One Bootsplashes and Animations
My designs + requests: Splashes | Animations

Okkoto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iElvis View Post
Error 171 is a connection error, meaning the RUU can't connect to/find your phone.

Try uninstalling HTC Sync, rebooting your pc, and installing it again. If you've got the Android SDK installed, be sure it's also fully updated.
No luck. And I believe it does see the phone in the beginning of the installation. It makes it reboot to the boot loader and that's where it loses the connection. The phone just isn't booting itself back up. I appreciate the reply, if you have anymore ideas please let me know.

iElvis
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1717
Could be something got corrupted. Try redownloading the ruu. Does adb see the phone?
Dynavin D99+ (///M3Evolution)

Retired
HTC One XL
iPhone 4
iPhone 3G

Generic Noob Advice
The name of this site is xda-developers, not xda-overly-entitled-users. Ponder this well.
Your best friend is the Search button.
Do you want to root and mod your phone? Click here.
Asking for the "best rom" at xda is like asking for the "best BBQ" in Texas.
A nandroid is like a fire extinguisher: You may never need it, but when you do, it's a life-saver.

Custom HTC One Bootsplashes and Animations
My designs + requests: Splashes | Animations

Okkoto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iElvis View Post
Could be something got corrupted. Try redownloading the ruu. Does adb see the phone?
Re-downloaded RUU and still no go. And adb doesn't see my phone, will it on the fastboot menu? I'm not to familiar with it.

Okkoto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Does anybody else have some more ideas?

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkoto View Post
And adb doesn't see my phone, will it on the fastboot menu? I'm not to familiar with it.
No. If adb doesn't see it, fastboot won't either. Does the command "adb devices" (no quotes) show the device as connected?

It sounds like the connection might be working for a few things (like rebooting the phone, as you mentioned). But I still think a connection issue is the main problem.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: HTC One X (AT&T version) Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-Off

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (WiFi only) Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Okkoto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
No. If adb doesn't see it, fastboot won't either. Does the command "adb devices" (no quotes) show the device as connected?

It sounds like the connection might be working for a few things (like rebooting the phone, as you mentioned). But I still think a connection issue is the main problem.
Fastboot does see it but adb does not. And what I mean by rebooting the phone in my last post is RUU attempts rebooting it from the boot loader which does turn the phone off but it stays turned off. I've used other commands to reboot the phone from the fastboot screen and those too turn off the phone then again it doesn't come back on like a reboot should do.