5,603,920 Members 42,122 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which swipe keyboard do you prefer?
Android keyboard 34 35.79%
Xperia keyboard 31 32.63%
Swype keyboard 22 23.16%
Other keyboard 8 8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

[APP] Keyboards with swipe (google, swype, xperia) 2013-06-10

Tip us?

arman68
Old
(Last edited by arman68; 10th June 2013 at 09:32 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197
Default [APP] Keyboards with swipe (google, swype, xperia) 2013-06-10

Here are a few keyboard packages that I have ported from ARM to x86, to make them work on the xt890.

Google keyboard with swipe (updated 2013-06-10)

Click image for larger version

Name:	kbd_JB.png
Views:	1238
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1880678
Download: kbd_JB_1.0.1869.683049.zip - 10.82 MB (updated)
  • Google Play Store, version 1.0.1869.683049 from 2013-06-05.
  • Swipe input works with houdini ARM emulation; maybe it causes a higher battery usage, but I have not noticed.
  • Language and dictionary support much improved from previous JB 4.2.2 keyboard.

My favourite keyboard. I find swiping is faster on this keyboard than others, and it gets even better as you use it, thanks to the word prediction which learns as you use it. If your language is supported, I recommend it.

If you would like to reinstall the original Android 4.1.2 keyboard that ships with the Motorola JB EU retail firmware, download this zip file: kbd_JB412_xt890.zip

To remove the Android keyboard alltogether, and its associated data, download this zip file: kbd_JB_remover_v2.zip - 553.55 KB (updated)

Sony Xperia 5.6.A.0.28 keyboard with swipe

Name:	kbd_xperia.png
Views:	1139
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1880680
Download: kbd_xperia_5.6.A.0.28_x86.zip
  • Extracted from Xperia Z C6603 firmware 10.1.A.1.434.
  • Removed Chinese and japanese keyboards.
  • Swipe input works with houdini ARM emulation; maybe it causes a higher battery usage, but I have not noticed.
  • Bilingual support.
  • Comprehensive language support.

I love the appearance of it, and if you find yourself switching between 2 languages, you might find this keyboard very useful. Swiping does not seem as fast as the Android one.

To remove the Xperia keyboard alltogether, and its associated data, download this zip file: kbd_xperia_remover.zip

Swype EMEA stock keyboard

Name:	kbd_swype.png
Views:	1069
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1880679
Download: kbd_swype_xt890.zip
  • This is the keyboard that ships with the Motorola RAZRi EU retail JB 4.1.2 firmware.
  • Native x86 support, so maybe more battery efficient than the others.
  • Comprehensive language support.

In my mind this is the original swipe keyboard, and it is great. However, I think it has now been overtaken by other keyboards, like the Android and the Xperia, which offer more features. It feels very accurate to me, but not as fast the Android keyboard, due to lack of features; speed is similar to the Xperia one.

To remove the Swype keyboard alltogether, and its associated data, download this zip file: kbd_swype_remover.zip

Typing speed test

I had a feeling I was swiping faster on the Android keyboard than the other keyboards. So I did a sort speed test, typing the first paragraph from the Wikipedia Android entry, verbatim:
Quote:
Android is a Linux-based operating system[12] designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. Initially developed by Android, Inc., which Google backed financially and later bought in 2005,[13] Android was unveiled in 2007 along with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance: a consortium of hardware, software, and telecommunication companies devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices.[14] The first Android-powered phone was sold in October 2008.[15]
Results:
  1. 5:41 Google keyboard
  2. 6:12 Xperia keyboard
  3. 6:32 Swype keyboard
So there you have it: Google keyboard is the fastest for me, and I was not even using the word prediction feature, since I had just wiped the data.

Instructions
  1. Place the zip file you want to apply on the phone
  2. Reboot in recovery mode
  3. Install the zip file from recovery
  4. Reboot
  5. If there is a problem with the keyboard you just installed, clear the data

All the recovery zip files take care of wiping the cache and dalvik-cache, so you don't have to.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to arman68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

diogo.sena
Old
(Last edited by diogo.sena; 13th April 2013 at 05:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 150
Deleted

Enviado de meu XT890 usando o Tapatalk 2

borg17a
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Default t9-layout?

thanks for your work, arman68!

question: is it possible to change the sony-keyboard-layout to t9? I like the app-style, but I want to have the possibilty to use a t9-keyboard.

thanks!

arman68
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg17a View Post
thanks for your work, arman68!

question: is it possible to change the sony-keyboard-layout to t9? I like the app-style, but I want to have the possibilty to use a t9-keyboard.

thanks!
Really ?!?!

Yes, the Xperia keyboard has a T9 layout as well:

Name:	Screenshot_2013-04-16-14-10-38.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1887948

Now, you can enjoy T9 typing, like it was the 1990s again

RavenB
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thumbs up Thanks

thanks man,your work not only helps Motorola users but also other 4.1 users(i use xperia play!lol) too.
+rep

PseudoReal
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Did not check the Xperia keyboard, but the original android cannot swype on all languages like swype (e.g. Serbian)
Thanks mate!
I will check the xt890 version as the beta of swype seems to be somewhat laggy on the xt890.
Sony XPERIA ZL (C6503)

SharpnShiny
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Hi, many thanks for the keyboards.

Is there any way that the Xperia keyboard could be installed without root? The only way to root on JB that I know of involves unlocking the bootloader, which I won't do on this phone. (never have i seen so many bricks)

arman68
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpnShiny View Post
Is there any way that the Xperia keyboard could be installed without root? The only way to root on JB that I know of involves unlocking the bootloader, which I won't do on this phone. (never have i seen so many bricks)
You need root.

Since this will void your warranty, the decision is up to you. My experience is that the phone is pretty much unbrickable.

SharpnShiny
Old
Thanks Meter 190
I bricked the phone and got a new one. I found a lot of threads with bricks:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2218273

I'm trying every new/similar root that I find, when I get one I'll def flash this. Thanks

arman68
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpnShiny View Post
I bricked the phone and got a new one.
Real hardbrick? Are you sure it was not just a softbrick?

I have lost count of how many times I have bricked my phone, but no matter how desperate it seemed, it always turned out to be a softbrick and recoverable; that is part of android development. I find this phone is actually really difficult to hardbrick (unlike HTC phones). I will grant you, it is more difficult than others to recover, especially due to the lack of removable battery, but it is otherwise very resilient.

Tags
houdini, keyboard, razr i, x86, xt890