Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 42,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fixed my creaky/clicky home button

Tip us?

falconey07
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Fixed my creaky/clicky home button

I know there has been discussion about how the home button moves and I have no fix for that. That actually doesn't bother me much because I have to really force my button to move for it to happen. The clicky/creaky crap from the button is unacceptable to me though and I had to fix it. For the first month I had my device the button was smooth to press and made no noise, but over time it became progressively creaky and harder to press. What I did to fix it isn't some Earth shattering solution, but it did work for me.

My Solution
Tools: WD-40 and a paper clip or a push pin(ones for sticking paper/posters into the wall) - I think a paper clip would work better than a push pin.

1. Spray some WD-40 into the cap that comes with the WD-40 or some other very small container. You don't need a lot; just enough where you have a very small puddle of oil.

2. Submerge the tip of your paper clip into the puddle you've created. When I did this the amount of oil on the tip of my paper clip was barely noticeable. I would suggest you keep your amount this low as well.

3. Now patiently take the paper clip and trace the surround of the home button. Lay the paper clip horizontal to the phone to reduce the risks of scratching the phone. If you can move your button it would be good to do so in order to gain more access to the side of the button.

4. Continue with steps 2 and 3 until the button becomes smooth to pressure.

My major tip for this is to be very patient and to use as little oil as possible. Like I said the amount of oil on the tip of my paper clip was barely noticeable to the eye. It took me about 4 passes to get the button to my desired smoothness.

Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Disclaimer - This is an electrical device and following the above steps to the exact specs could still ruin your expensive electronics. Certainly not following the exact steps could be an even worse outcome. I bare no responsibility for anyone ruining their expensive piece of equipment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falconey07 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thlinx
Old
Thanks Meter 88
It's a good idea but I just bought a Otterbox commuter and it comes with a casing the wraps around the button so no condensation can get to the button which I think is happening. The oils and moisture from your fingers could be causing the rust issue..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk