XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cf-Auto-Root Questions

Tip us?

penser
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Default Cf-Auto-Root Questions

Does using it require an unlocked bootloader, and will it unlock the bootloader in the process?

Trying to help my friend root so he can back everything up, then unlock his bootloader.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
Devices:
LG G2 - Stock ATT 4.4.2

Atrix HD - Stock ATT 4.1.1

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2330

DONATE TO ME
For T999, if its on 4.2.1 or prior version of Android, then the bootloader is unlocked. If its on 4.3, the bootloader is locked and there is absolutely no known way to unlock it.

penser
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
For T999, if its on 4.2.1 or prior version of Android, then the bootloader is unlocked. If its on 4.3, the bootloader is locked and there is absolutely no known way to unlock it.
And that would mean there's no way to root on 4.3 if my friend is already there, correct?

Devices:
LG G2 - Stock ATT 4.4.2

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2330

DONATE TO ME
Hmmm.............. Well, not quiet. But the problem is, you may trip that dreaded warranty bit. Visit the Root66 Thread and flash that image UVUEMJC.

penser
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Hmmm.............. Well, not quiet. But the problem is, you may trip that dreaded warranty bit. Visit the Root66 Thread and flash that image UVUEMJC.
Would flashing the 4.3 from that thread lock the bootloader? I don't think it will, but just want to be safe.

Devices:
LG G2 - Stock ATT 4.4.2

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2330

DONATE TO ME
Since the phone is already locked, that Rom won't re-lock it. It won't unlock either. That's why I recommended that Rom (UVUEMJC). If you tried prior Root66 roms, you will brick the phone.

penser
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Since the phone is already locked, that Rom won't re-lock it. It won't unlock either. That's why I recommended that Rom (UVUEMJC). If you tried prior Root66 roms, you will brick the phone.
His phone is on 4.1.2 so the bootloader should be unlocked. If he were to flash the Root66 4.3 would it lock the bootloader?
Devices:
LG G2 - Stock ATT 4.4.2

serio22
Old
Thanks Meter 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by penser View Post
His phone is on 4.1.2 so the bootloader should be unlocked. If he were to flash the Root66 4.3 would it lock the bootloader?
Do not flash the root66.. instead flash a custom recovery with Odin and then flash a stock rom and update modem if you're gonna flash 4.3.. that is the safest to do it if your friend cares about warranty.. you can still flash the root66 and it will be rooted but it may trip the warranty bit, I'm not too sure

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2330

DONATE TO ME
+1 to ^^^^^^.

penser
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22 View Post
Do not flash the root66.. instead flash a custom recovery with Odin and then flash a stock rom and update modem if you're gonna flash 4.3.. that is the safest to do it if your friend cares about warranty.. you can still flash the root66 and it will be rooted but it may trip the warranty bit, I'm not too sure

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
I'm fairly sure his warranty is up unless it's lifetime, because he's had it for 2 years. Either way, I was just checking in case he decided to, I think he just wants to root 4.1.2 and stick with that for now.
Devices:
LG G2 - Stock ATT 4.4.2