Post Reply

Battery Full [Q] Do you need to turn off the phone before swapping a fresh battery?

OP Neo3D

30th January 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #1  
Neo3D's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 230
 
1,689 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
I never do, so I'm wondering if I'm damaging my phone by doing this? So far, I have experienced no problems but wanted to ask just to be sure.
30th January 2014, 03:19 AM   |  #2  
ultramag69's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 577
 
4,468 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo3D

I never do, so I'm wondering if I'm damaging my phone by doing this? So far, I have experienced no problems but wanted to ask just to be sure.

You should power off, yes...
These little toys we hold in our hands are almost the equivalent of a desktop PC from a few years ago. It needs to finish writing data to memory so you won't loose information. If it was writing important data there is a slight chance you can corrupt information and cause issues.
Better to be safe than sorry....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ultramag69 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2014, 11:35 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
Thanks Meter: 32
 
918 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
More
How does it remain on?
Are you connected to a power outlet?
31st January 2014, 01:53 PM   |  #4  
Neo3D's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 230
 
1,689 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity

How does it remain on?
Are you connected to a power outlet?

I just take off the cover and remove the battery and put in a fresh 100% one?

I don't plug it in before I do that?

I just mainly do this because I'm too lazy to wait for it to shut down.
31st January 2014, 04:02 PM   |  #5  
vndnguyen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 802
 
2,202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo3D

I just take off the cover and remove the battery and put in a fresh 100% one?

I don't plug it in before I do that?

I just mainly do this because I'm too lazy to wait for it to shut down.

that's ok, no problem
but it shoud be better if you shut down the phone before swapping the battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to vndnguyen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #6  
Neo3D's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 230
 
1,689 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by vndnguyen

that's ok, no problem
but it shoud be better if you shut down the phone before swapping the battery.

What will happen if I don't? Does anyone know for sure if it damages your data?
1st February 2014, 12:48 AM   |  #7  
vndnguyen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 802
 
2,202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo3D

What will happen if I don't? Does anyone know for sure if it damages your data?

No one can know for sure what happens in this case...

In most cases it is safe without any damages, as you already did it. However in some rare case there might be a electric shock that can damage the data, who knows...


Sent from my Nexus7 vndn using Tapatalk
1st February 2014, 04:03 AM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 93
 
459 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
If the system was writing something to internal memory or SD card, it can get corrupted if power is disrupted in the middle. If it was cache or something less important, it should be no problem, since we can wipe whole cache with no harm, but if it's something more important, then you'll be posting here about your phone not working properly or dead sd card. As a matter of fact check lost.dir on your SD card, if you have one. If anything is there, those are unalocated blocks containing data from corrupted files, so you could recover at least some part of the data.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank