Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 47,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Buy a Moto G, or fix my Nexus 4?

Tip us?

treave
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Buy a Moto G, or fix my Nexus 4?

Hi guys,

I dropped my Nexus 4 recently and cracked the front screen. The replacement will be pricey, pretty much about the same price as I would pay for a Moto G.

Reading up on it, it seems that the Moto G has its advantages over the Nexus 4: the main reason I am considering a replacement is because even though I do like the Nexus 4's aesthetic, it seems to be a little too fragile for my tastes.

So, just asking:

Do you think I should pay out to repair my Nexus, or trade it in and get a bit off an purchase of a Moto G?

Thanks.

bobcat913
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Moto G beats Nexus 4 in benchmarks but most of your data will still be on the nexus. If the crack is a small one, I would get it fixed or buy a moto g and transfer all data. If it is a large one just buy the moto g

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

jlmcr87
Old
Thanks Meter 635

DONATE TO ME
Moto G! Much better battery than nexus 4!

Devices
: Nokia 6510 -> Sony Ericsson Z600 -> Sony Ericsson W880 -> Sony Ericsson W980 -> Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc -> Google Nexus 5 32GB

treave
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I can transfer my data using adb to the desktop, and the rest is backed up to the cloud, so I'm not too worried about that. Rather than a crack, it's more of the entire front shattering. The touch screen is pretty much unresponsive, unusable.

Yeah, I've heard of the much improved battery life, which is one of the reasons I'm considering the trade.

Hopefully it'll be more durable than the Nexus 4, which was noted to be remarkably fragile even for a smartphone.

wrj54
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Repair or replace really gets down to cost and how well you like the older product. If you really like the N4 and the repair costs are reasonable, that might drive you in one direction. However, if you're looking for a change and/or the costs of repair are significant, that could lead you to another choice.

rec71
Old
Thanks Meter 188
I faced a similar dilemma and plumped for a Moto G and haven't missed my N4 at all. It's been two months now and no regrets.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Moto G 16GB

mike21pr
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Moto G. Better screen and battery life. Sure the N4 is slightly faster in GPU but I haven't missed it at all.

Sent from my Moto G GPE
Carrier: AT&T USA
Current OS: Android 4.4.2 KitKat (Stock)
Current Device: Moto G Google Play Edition

Pinsa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Depends on how expensive the repair is! If its more than 80~ish i'd say go for the Moto!

xda-weilan
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by treave View Post
Hi guys,

I dropped my Nexus 4 recently and cracked the front screen. The replacement will be pricey, pretty much about the same price as I would pay for a Moto G.

Reading up on it, it seems that the Moto G has its advantages over the Nexus 4: the main reason I am considering a replacement is because even though I do like the Nexus 4's aesthetic, it seems to be a little too fragile for my tastes.

So, just asking:

Do you think I should pay out to repair my Nexus, or trade it in and get a bit off an purchase of a Moto G?

Thanks.
This is motog site, you want to know the answer will come to an identical

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dwarf77
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Get a Moto G together with one of Motorola's Grip Shells. This should improve durability without being too bulky.
Moto G (XT1032) - rooted & xposed stock 4.4.4 / Nexus 7 - rooted stock 4.4.4