[Q] ZTE Midnight root?

OP lucianodiaz5

3rd February 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
So I have the ZTE Midnight (Z768G) and I am getting the classic "low on space" message and I know what rooting is as I rooted my Nook Tablet 4GB but I can't seem to find a root that will work for my phone so that I can set my default storage to the SD card and I was wondering if someone could help me. Or if there's alternatives to rooting it that would also be nice. I installed an app that can erase cache but it's not doing much for me right now. I can't even update my apps. Any help would be nice!!

-Luciano
2nd March 2014, 12:52 AM   |  #2  

9 posts
Root ZTE Midnight using kingo root - works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianodiaz5

So I have the ZTE Midnight (Z768G) and I am getting the classic "low on space" message and I know what rooting is as I rooted my Nook Tablet 4GB but I can't seem to find a root that will work for my phone so that I can set my default storage to the SD card and I was wondering if someone could help me. Or if there's alternatives to rooting it that would also be nice. I installed an app that can erase cache but it's not doing much for me right now. I can't even update my apps. Any help would be nice!!

-Luciano

went to kingoapp.com and downloaded and ran the app against my ZTE Midnight from Net10 - I now have root access. I did not buy the phone to make calls - the $20 price tag for an Android test platform was too goo to pass up.
3rd March 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by covergeek

went to kingoapp.com and downloaded and ran the app against my ZTE Midnight from Net10 - I now have root access. I did not buy the phone to make calls - the $20 price tag for an Android test platform was too goo to pass up.

It worked but now I can't move the apps over to the SD card like I wanted to. I tried doing the /System app mover method of turning system apps to normal apps and uninstalling but it's still giving me that message.
4th March 2014, 03:36 AM   |  #4  

9 posts
Find the posts dealing with zte and link2sd. I am able to now install anything without space worries

Sent from my Z768G using xda app-developers app
8th March 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
Question:
After Rooting, can anyone install CWM & Install Custom ROM?

I'm looking to Root, Install CWM, then Install Custom ROM for Android v4.0 or higher.

Anyone successfully Rooted & Updated to Android v4.0 or higher.

Please advise. Thank you!

*** UPDATE: Kingo Android ROOT = ROOTED my (NET10) ZTE Z768G ***
*** LOOKING: Custom Recovery & Custom ROM (Android v4.0 or higher) **** Anyone ???
Last edited by dtkool; 9th March 2014 at 01:05 AM.
24th March 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #6  
Flag Mancos, CO

28 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkool

Question:
After Rooting, can anyone install CWM & Install Custom ROM?

I'm looking to Root, Install CWM, then Install Custom ROM for Android v4.0 or higher.

Anyone successfully Rooted & Updated to Android v4.0 or higher.

Please advise. Thank you!

*** UPDATE: Kingo Android ROOT = ROOTED my (NET10) ZTE Z768G ***
*** LOOKING: Custom Recovery & Custom ROM (Android v4.0 or higher) **** Anyone ???

What drivers did you use to get Kingo Android Root to work? Nothing seems to be working for me...
28th March 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #7  

1 posts
Phone ZTE Midnight!!!! No luck
I am having no luck with root.... tried all
18th April 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #8  

6 posts
Question How?
Quote:
Originally Posted by covergeek

How did you get kingoroot to run? I get stuck at "Installing Drivers" forever. I've tried installing my own drivers, both the included ones from the phone's internal memory as well as the latest ones from ZTE, and the ZTE ones that kingoroot points me to in the troubleshooting section. I'm running Win8 and I've also tried disabling Signed Driver Verification. What is the magic spell to get this thing to run? I agree $20 is bitchin if I can just get the thing rooted so I can install more than 1 app and *cough* turn on tethering
18th April 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #9  
Flag Mancos, CO

28 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa6988

How did you get kingoroot to run? I get stuck at "Installing Drivers" forever. I've tried installing my own drivers, both the included ones from the phone's internal memory as well as the latest ones from ZTE, and the ZTE ones that kingoroot points me to in the troubleshooting section. I'm running Win8 and I've also tried disabling Signed Driver Verification. What is the magic spell to get this thing to run? I agree $20 is bitchin if I can just get the thing rooted so I can install more than 1 app and *cough* turn on tethering

Haha that's the point right xD $20 hot spot! But I agree. Nothing seems to be working ATM... Too much bloatware and need to get started on a CM nightly...
21st April 2014, 05:33 AM   |  #10  

6 posts
Unhappy Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireproof

Haha that's the point right xD $20 hot spot! But I agree. Nothing seems to be working ATM... Too much bloatware and need to get started on a CM nightly...

Seriously, I left it sitting all night to see if it would ever start to download. The help section says that it's stalling on Driver Verification and to disablle it, but it makes no difference. I have trouble believing that's the problem since it won't even download the driver, how can it even try to "verify" it. Besides that fact that I have the latest driver from the manufacturer and have tried the one from the link in their help pages to the ZTE driver. Is there no command line option to skip the driver installation and just see if it will run? I know i can access it by adb. OR does anyone know of a method to root this thing manually? I'm not skeered to use terminal and dox boxes, but I'd rather not do it blind. THis phone is nearly useless to me without root especialy since i just figured out why I get no signal... It's a damn T-Mobile based device. It's doesn't say this ANYWHERE on the box or documentation. I should have researched it first as I usually do, but I got too excited by the idea of a droid for $20. I thought, at least if it doesn't work, it will be a toy for my 5 year old... But even he will want to install more than 1 teeny app LOL

With a custom 4.2 or later rom and good signal this thing would be.... OK... not great, but not too bad either. It isn't all that slow as I was afraid. Kit Kat might be great on it

Will a root method from any other ZTE devices work for the Midnight? I read that it might possible be the same as the ZTE Concord from t-mobile, but I tried a root method for it using a jcase update.zip, but it did not work. I'm at a loss. I've never had this much trouble getting one rooted. Apparently this device just wasn't popular enough

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread