Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 51,978 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ART failed and now I have no phone.

Tip us?

thelonewizard
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] ART failed and now I have no phone.

I tried turning on ART instead of dalvik, and it messed up my phone. So I wiped it, no backups, and now suddenly my .zip for the ROM is corrupt and can't be used to flash the ROM, so I essentially have a paperweight. I can't ADB sideload (I've tried), I can't ADB Push (tried) I tried flashing with fastboot to system and it failed, and I don't know what else to do. I can't mount to USB storage to copy the thing over and I don't know of any other method.

Specs:
1.44 hboot
was previously running the newest ecliptic 4.4/5.5 ROM
newest philz touch recovery.

When I go to reboot my phone from recovery, it tells me I don't have root access anymore.

How do I fix this, and why is it so hard?

tdhite
Old
(Last edited by tdhite; 26th January 2014 at 05:03 PM.) Reason: adding a bit of info.
Thanks Meter 1897

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewizard View Post
. . . How do I fix this, and why is it so hard?

First, in the future, read before leaping -- it's well known that ART cannot work with a Sense based ROM -- it's totally broken and it will surely do bad things. If you want to know why it's so hard -- it's because your device is totally screwed up now.

First, your /system partition is probably trashed -- so that's why PhilZ says you have no root access -- you don't, there's nothing worthwhile at all on your /system partition.

Before you go too far, please tell us all what your firmware versions -- look for the 'OS-???????' on your bootloader screen. That will dictate with RUU you will want to use if necessary.

There's a couple choices:

1) *if* the ART mess didn't totally screw up your internal storage, you have a shot at loading a ROM and moving forward (see if you can look at the internal storage in PhilZ, to go 'backups restore' menu, and try to load from /sdcard -- hopefully it can see the file system, if not -- you better RUU so see below):

a) Place a valid ROM (my suggestion is use benny3's stock, rooted ROM so you get to a place of sanity) on a exFAT, ext4 or ntfs formated USB stick;

b) Boot into recovery (PhilZ is apparently working for you -- whew!):

c) Plug your OTG cabled USB stick in to the device (PhilZ will mount the USB drive);

d) Use PhilZ to 'wipe to load new rom' in the menus;

e) Load the ROM from /mnt/storage/usb.

2) *if* the ART mess screwed you totally, you'll have to RUU back to stock:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277892 -- Start with Q16 in that FAQ.

We can help -- don't rush. Also, plug your device in, PhilZ will charge the thing and you want it charged reasonably before you get started.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdhite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thelonewizard
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhite View Post
... 2) *if* the ART mess screwed you totally, you'll have to RUU back to stock:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277892 -- Start with Q16 in that FAQ.

We can help -- don't rush. Also, plug your device in, PhilZ will charge the thing and you want it charged reasonably before you get started.
The 1.29 RUU worked. How do I now unlock it so I can go back to custom ROMs? I assumed the command would be "fastboot oem unlock" but that fails when I try it. I assume this is due to me having lost root rights, but I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. I just want to go back to the Ecliptic ROM. I had no issues right up until I decided to try ART.

tdhite
Old
Thanks Meter 1897

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewizard View Post
. . . I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. . . .
So be careful (and throw some thanks button hits around when folks help you out -- not just me, not the point -- it matters to all folks around here to help ).

As for re-rooting, same FAQ page link I gave you above, Q4 -- read that whole FAQ before you do much more so you know where to look next time. A little reading may save you serious pain down the road. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdhite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thelonewizard
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhite View Post
So be careful (and throw some thanks button hits around when folks help you out -- not just me, not the point -- it matters to all folks around here to help ).

As for re-rooting, same FAQ page link I gave you above, Q4 -- read that whole FAQ before you do much more so you know where to look next time. A little reading may save you serious pain down the road. Good luck!
Thank you for all the help. I got back to my ROM with minimal data loss, and I'm not touching ART until HTC makes it official. I really appreciate the help, and you'll notice a couple new "Thanks" in your meter.