Post Reply

Still worth to root?

27th February 2014, 02:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
I have a release date Chromecast sitting on my desk, never opened. but I dont have a OTG cable to root it. with all these new apps supporting Chromecast, is it still worth to buy a OTG cable to root it? thanks!
27th February 2014, 02:28 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
163 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmilk

I have a release date Chromecast sitting on my desk, never opened. but I dont have a OTG cable to root it. with all these new apps supporting Chromecast, is it still worth to buy a OTG cable to root it? thanks!

I guess it depends what is out there and what you are trying to do. I live outside of the US and rooted mine so I can use a DNS server hack. Who knows, maybe there will be other incentives to do it so still probably a good idea. It is easy to go back to stock if you decide it is not worth it.
27th February 2014, 02:45 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157
 
1,360 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko

I guess it depends what is out there and what you are trying to do. I live outside of the US and rooted mine so I can use a DNS server hack. Who knows, maybe there will be other incentives to do it so still probably a good idea. It is easy to go back to stock if you decide it is not worth it.

You don't lose anything if you root but as far as I know there's no stock image or way back to stock but I could be wrong.
27th February 2014, 06:22 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
163 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

You don't lose anything if you root but as far as I know there's no stock image or way back to stock but I could be wrong.

I think there is a flashcast mod that allows you to receive Google OTA, pretty much meaning that it will overwrite any mods and get you back to stock.
27th February 2014, 12:35 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157
 
1,360 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko

I think there is a flashcast mod that allows you to receive Google OTA, pretty much meaning that it will overwrite any mods and get you back to stock.

There is a switch to receive the Eureka ROM OTA automatically or not and another use the Eureka ROM or Google whitelist but nothing else.
27th February 2014, 04:34 PM   |  #6  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 859
 
2,199 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

There is a switch to receive the Eureka ROM OTA automatically or not and another use the Eureka ROM or Google whitelist but nothing else.

Correct. Full-stock Google ROM is not posted because it's too easy to make an error - and that particular error would mean losing root with no (current) way to get it back.

tl;dr: Too much danger for people not reading and flashing the wrong one, losing root, then they would whine hard - it's almost as bad as bricking a phone.
27th February 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #7  
mkhopper's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
169 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
In my opinion, any piece of hardware that you own, if you feel confident enough to do so, should be rooted / jailbroken / hacked / cracked open / etc.

Sure, there are a lot of sanctioned apps appearing now that the CC has been thrown wide open, but Google will always have their fingers in the mix. Who knows what some bright developer might stumble onto with a rooted device.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Google Chromecast by ThreadRank