Ask a question

No registration required

Not sure of best way to stream from computer

OP cdrshm

26th February 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

152 posts
Well I have had a Chromecast for some time now. I have been lurking for some time now but can't quite figure out what is the best solution for me.

Here is what I am looking to do.. I have quite a few workout dvd's that the Wife and I use, Yoga and the such. I want to eliminate the need to use the dvd player... my goal is to have everything ripped to my desktop, then use my phone to control what is displayed on the chromecast? especially since i have multiple chromecasts.....I just can't figure out what combination of apps I need to accomplish it... I have used ALLCast but the video will mess up during streaming... (Galaxy S3)

I am assuming I need some sort of media server service running on my desktop..(Plex?)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

cdrshm
26th February 2014, 04:21 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 104

332 posts
Rip the DVDs to MP4 files on your computer using some video tool like Handbrake. Enable the DLNA server function in Windows if you haven't already, and add your video folder as one of the shared media folders. Install BubbleUPnP on your Android phone. Select your computer as the source, Chromecast as the destination. Select your desired video and cast it to the Chromecast, controlling it with BubbleUPnP.

Plex is certainly an alternative, but you would have to install and set up Plex Media Server on your computer, and currently you have to pay $4/month for Plex Pass to use Plex with the Chromecast. For what you want to do the above combination is simpler and free.
Last edited by DJames1; 26th February 2014 at 04:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 883

2,250 posts
Donate to Me
More
@DJames1 hit it on the head.

Since I have multiple players, I'm waiting for My Movies to release Chromecast support, but I suspect it might be a while...
26th February 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

152 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1

Rip the DVDs to MP4 files on your computer using some video tool like Handbrake. Enable the DLNA server function in Windows if you haven't already, and add your video folder as one of the shared media folders. Install BubbleUPnP on your Android phone. Select your computer as the source, Chromecast as the destination. Select your desired video and cast it to the Chromecast, controlling it with BubbleUPnP.

Plex is certainly an alternative, but you would have to install and set up Plex Media Server on your computer, and currently you have to pay $4/month for Plex Pass to use Plex with the Chromecast. For what you want to do the above combination is simpler and free.

WOW! This works perfect! Thanks for helping me out! It works better than expected!!

Thanks Again!!

cdrshm
26th February 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 327

1,907 posts
+1 to DJ!

Only thing I would quibble with is I'm not sure the Windows Media DLNA is a very good option but it is free and requires no installation.

Bubble requires SOME DLNA server since it does not have this function built in yet and instead aggregates media from other sources.

Something I suspect Bubble will soon add to it's arsenal!
26th February 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #6  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 92

463 posts
More
You can also browse files in the chrome browser, such as your movie folder. And simply cast from that. Works instantly, easily, casts in the same quality the file is in, and requires no additional software or set up.

For instance, my data drive is F, I just browse to file:///F:/ on chrome, select my movies folder and start the video then cast from the browser.
26th February 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #7  

332 posts
^^ That's tab-casting. While it works as long as your computer is fast enough, it has several issues compared to the recommended solution:

1. It puts a heavier workload on your PC due to Google's rather inefficient tab-casting code.
2. Even with a high-performance PC, the video tends to stutter a little when tab-casting.
3. It has to be controlled from the PC. The OP said that he has an Android phone he wants to use as the controller.

If the OP were interested in trying streaming from Chrome, he would be better off to use the newly-renamed Videostream extension for Chrome mentioned in another thread here. It offers much smoother performance than tab-casting.
Last edited by DJames1; 26th February 2014 at 11:50 PM.
26th February 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1,544

5,204 posts
More
I use serviio on my computer and Avia on my devices. Works great.
27th February 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #9  
Flag La Crosse, WI
Thanks Meter: 120

682 posts
I use Logitech Media Server with avia and it works perfectly...

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
27th February 2014, 03:33 AM   |  #10  

332 posts
^^ Also good solutions, but Avia isn't quite free, and they would require the OP to install a new media server on his PC.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread