FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q] Bluetooth 4 /Android 4.3 update - does The Xperia Z1 now support Bluetooth Smart?

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By tallguy_uk_98, Member on 20th January 2014, 03:44 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Since the Z1 supports Bluetooth 4.0, therefore following the Android 4.3 update - does The Xperia Z1 now support Bluetooth Smart?

20th January 2014, 04:52 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
What is Bluetooth Smart

Sent from my C6902 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
20th January 2014, 05:23 PM |#3  
Flag Dartford
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Yes it does.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron76426

What is Bluetooth Smart

Sent from my C6902 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanyC For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 09:15 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
OK, so I borrowed a Beets BLU Bluetooth Smart Heart rate monitor and it would see the device in the available devices list occasionally (1 out of 4) but would not pair, I also borrowed a Garmin Premium HRM (ANT+) and could not get that to connect at all.

I could of course be doing something completely wrong especially with the ANT+ device as I can find no instructions on home to pair the device

instructions or help with either?
20th January 2014, 10:45 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy_uk_98

OK, so I borrowed a Beets BLU Bluetooth Smart Heart rate monitor and it would see the device in the available devices list occasionally (1 out of 4) but would not pair, I also borrowed a Garmin Premium HRM (ANT+) and could not get that to connect at all.

I could of course be doing something completely wrong especially with the ANT+ device as I can find no instructions on home to pair the device

instructions or help with either?

You might just have be having the typical 290 issues with Bluetooth where devices can't pair. Maybe someone else will chime in with more feedback, but I don't have any BLE devices to test.
The Following User Says Thank You to xasbo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2014, 12:06 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Ok So I managed to get the ANT+ device to work by installing ANT Radio Service & ANT+ Plugins from the play store following guidance from this website

http://www.thisisant.com/consumer/an...ant-in-phones/

Which was really helpful, especially as the Z1 is slated as being ANT+ native supporting but still needs additional software drivers installed, but there is nothing on Sony's documentation to drive you to this conclusion.

As for the Bluetooth 4.0/Bluetooth Smart device still no joy - Anybody any further ideas or is it just a case of waiting for a bug fix?
Last edited by tallguy_uk_98; 21st January 2014 at 12:09 PM.
21st January 2014, 05:38 PM |#7  
Flag Dartford

More
Install BLE Heart Rate Monitor from store. In the settings pair with your HRM. Don't try and pair through phone bluetooth settings. Bluetooth smart isn't designed to be paired like this apparently.
22nd January 2014, 08:26 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanyC

Install BLE Heart Rate Monitor from store. In the settings pair with your HRM. Don't try and pair through phone bluetooth settings. Bluetooth smart isn't designed to be paired like this apparently.

Thanks for the info - partially works, connects but drops the connection routinely even after refreshing the Bluetooth system , as suggested by the app - probably needs a bug fix
22nd January 2014, 09:30 AM |#9  
Flag Dartford

More
This happens sometimes unfortunately. I had no problems on my Nexus 4.
4th February 2014, 12:56 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I would like to understand whether it's possible to activate bluetooth 4 and bluetooth "classic" individually. The background: I want to use a bluetooth 4 tag in combination with tasker to automate certain things once the tag is within reach. I got a Texas Instruments SensorTag which is recognized by the Z1 and can be accessed via the TI software. Tasker is currently being improved to play with BT4 devices. The issue is that there is just a single bluetooth switch within Android, but of course I want to avoid the power hungry classic bluetooth and use bluetooth instead.

Any ideas if there is a solution? Maybe via an Xposed module?

Cheers,
Torsten
5th February 2014, 04:54 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumerland

I would like to understand whether it's possible to activate bluetooth 4 and bluetooth "classic" individually. The background: I want to use a bluetooth 4 tag in combination with tasker to automate certain things once the tag is within reach. I got a Texas Instruments SensorTag which is recognized by the Z1 and can be accessed via the TI software. Tasker is currently being improved to play with BT4 devices. The issue is that there is just a single bluetooth switch within Android, but of course I want to avoid the power hungry classic bluetooth and use bluetooth instead.

Any ideas if there is a solution? Maybe via an Xposed module?

Cheers,
Torsten

It is already BT 4.0 as long as device you use has it too, no further activation needed. If you try to use it with device that has older version like BT 2.1 functionality of BT 4.0 will be downscaled to work with older version.
The Following User Says Thank You to zimbashka For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread