*** THIS KERNEL ONLY SUPPORTS SAMSUNG TW JB 4.1.2 ROMs (STOCK and CUSTOM). DOES NOT WORK IN CM or AOSP!!! ***
*** The Kernel is Safe (MMC_CAP_ERASE disabled) and the included PhilZ Recovery uses delete recursive and avoids brickbug ***
*** Stiil, I take no responsibility if the provided KERNELs causes any problem to your phone, you are warned! ***
I am no developer, just an Android lover. I share with you my first custom kernel for Note N7000 JB building from sources. It was made mainly for my hobby and my own needs, but hopefully can be useful to other members.
As the name suggested, it is essentially a continuity of the C.O.H HelloWorld kernel.
Features added by me:
- Implement r3p1 GPU driver to JB4.1.2 (from V2.0.0 (Credits and thanks to @GeeckoDev for this excellent work)
- OC OLED panel refresh rate to 60 (from V1.9.1)
- Remake GPU to 4 steps (V_1.9.0) (Very capable for gaming why maintain good battery life)
- Compile using Linaro toolchain 4.7.4.(12.2013) (V1.9.0) (it feels silky smooth)
- Update recovery to PhilZ Touch 5! You have a more beautiful and intuitive GUI. (from V1.8.2)
- Use LZMA compression (from V1.8.2).
- BLN support (only for V1.7.3)
- Enable OC CPU to 1600 (from V1.6.4 for OC CPU versions)
- Exfat native support (Now you can enjoy unlimited file size and fast speed on ext-sdcard)
- Kernel linux version 3.0.31, build using Ubuntu 13.10
- Toolchains: CodeSourcery G++
- Some optimization of the config file
- Su binary is updated to the latest version.
- Made three versions: 1) With OC of both CPU and GPU 2) With stock CPU and OC GPU and 3) With stock CPU and GPU.
Features benefited from C.O.H kernel:
- CPU Hotplug support from Speedmod kernel (only 1 core when not in load, battery friendly)
- Disabled logcat and dmesg and unnecessary Samsung debugging.
- UV capability.
- Increased Touchscreen sensitivity even when charging (Best touch response to date in Note).
- FSYNC Control 1 (from Ezekeel's GLaDOS kernel for Nexus).
- Tweak GPU in GPU OC version: 133, 267, 400 MHz (3 steps),
- Many cpu governors and schedullers: Defaults are Hyper-Row now (You can also tried noop-pegasusq as recommended by C.O.H)
- Fix for wifi drain on standby (disabled all multicast).
- Speedmod K5-3 fixes included
- Other features are the same as in c.o.h’s HelloWorld Kernel.
HOW TO ENABLE LOGCAT (Only for V1.6.4 and lower!) .Credits to @hardcore:
If you want to re-enable logcat for whatever reason, do this:
mount -o remount,rw /system
echo ANDROIDLOGGER >> /system/etc/tweaks.conf
mount -o remount,ro /system
Reboot android system. Then can take logcat as you wish!
The kernel is very smooth, stable and battery friendly.
- Revert to stock GPU and CPU.
- Compile using uber toolchain 4.7
Excellent speed and good battery life. This is my most favorite one.
- Change logs of other versions: see links in download section!
- Remake GPU steps
+ Forest_HelloWorld-Make-II_V1.9.0_AM1 which is more agressive with GPU steps: 133-267-333-400
+ Forest_HelloWorld-Make-II_V1.9.0_GL2 which is more gracious, gentle with GPU steps: 133-200-267-333
- Disable UV interface.
- Update Philz recovery to PhilZ Touch 5.
- Putting back logger module with option to enable it (for those who want to get logcat)
- Use LZMA compression
- Set default Governor to Pegasusq
- Update su and SuperUser to V1.94
- BLN dropped!
- The OC-CPU version has stock video bug the same as V1.6.4. Use MX video play instead!
- Recovery only accept to format internal and external sdcard using default format.
- BLN support added.
- OC CPU to 1600 (you can enable it using Nofrills or SetCPU...)
- UV 25mv for each steps, for balance performance and battery life.
- Include VR I/O scheduler, leave out Deadline
- Tweak thermal threshold (first level from 64 to 70, second level threshold keep the same).
Significant improvement for heavy games: I can play my favorite Let's Golf 3 super smooth now.
Bugs: stock video only play from gallery. Use MX video which is much better, btw.
- Leave out some Governors, keep only 5: Hyper, Performance, Ondemand, Pegasusq, and SmartassV2.
- Leave out I/O Schedulers, keep only 5: Row, Sio, Noop, Cfq and Deadline.
- Padding zImage to the full size of the Kernel partition, 838808 bytes (Thanks to the trick by Chenglu and PhilZ!) this should help make the flash of kernel always clean.
- other minor tweaks
The new version is leaner, lighter. Should help improve performance and battery life!
For those who is on V1.4.5 it is recommended that you move to V1.5.5
HelloWorld-Make-II-V1.4.5: Starting version
V2.0.1_with Trim, stock Gpu-Cpu: My favorite
V2.0.0_Extreme_with Trim and FPBug fix: Announcement and downloads: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=706
V2.0.0_Extreme_Spen: This is a version without OC OLED panel (sung original 57Hz) for S-pen users.
V2.0.0_Extreme and V1.9.1_Extreme announcement and downloads link:
V2.0.0_Ultimate: announcement and download link:
V2.0.0 annoucement and downloads links here
V1.9.1 announcement and download here
V1.9.0 from this post: HelloWorld-Make-II-V1.9.0:
1. OC both CPU-GPU:
2. OC GPU only:
3. Stock CPU-GPU:
Download link and instructions go to this post:
1. With Stock GPU:
2. With OC-GPU:
HelloWorld-Make-II-V1.4.5 (pulled in favour of the better version just out)
1. With Stock GPU:
2. With OC-GPU:
1. Flash the attached kernel CWM flashable zip using any SAFE custom recovery like PhilZ kernels.
2. Wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot.
3. Enjoy. (it takes around 2-3 reboots to the ROM and KERNEL to settle down and get really fast and smooth.
CREDITS AND THANKS:
1. @crime_of_heart : (huge) for too many things
2. @Philz3759: for his wonderful touch recovery
3. @Chenglu for his guide on Initramfs
4. @GeeckoDev for taming r3p1 driver for JB 4.1.2
5. @dorimanx: for his sharing of exfat source code
6. @Dharam_Maniar: for his excellent Tutorial on kernel
7. @hardcore: for the inspiration from his excellent work
8. @maxfu for his great work on OC kernel
9. @Chainfire for his excellent su and superuser.apk
10. Samsung, for the source code for me to play with
11. And many other excellent members in XDA!
For Developers/Modders: You can use the Forest-HelloWorld-Make-II kernel in your CUSTOM ROMs as long as you give links to this thread.
Please THANKS me and C.O.H if you think this kernel is helpful for you!
Kernel is built from Samsung JB source can be downloaded from Sam Sung open source at: http://opensource.samsung.com/ (EUR: GT-N7000_JB_Opensource.zip)
Modification is made using the patch from COH: can be found in his thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2252977
Exfat source code: https://github.com/dorimanx/exfat-nofuse