Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,857 Members 44,026 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to UNROOT & revert to Stock for receiving OTA updates

Tip us?

bhsiddharth
Old
(Last edited by bhsiddharth; 11th February 2014 at 03:58 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Arrow [GUIDE] How to UNROOT & revert to Stock for receiving OTA updates

PURPOSE

Hello guys, I am writing this thread because I was not able to find any specific thread on how can i unroot my galaxy grand to revert back to stock for using OTA to get updates from samsung.

Please note that the method mentioned below is used by me to unroot and get update from samsung.

IMPORTANT

I am not responsible for bricked devices. Use this process/method at your own risk.

I was in CM 11 by @pawitp on 2nd Feb, 2014 build having CWM Recovery. There might be other easy ways as well to unroot or some steps might not be needed at all. I have just shared with you guys the process I followed.

STEPS TO UNROOT
  1. Take a full backup. (I used CWM backup to backup my whole ROM and helium to backup my data.)
  2. Download Triangle Away developed by @Chainfire from here.
  3. Install the Triangle Away-Version.apk normally in the phone.
  4. Open the Triangle Away app and use "Reset flash counter" to rest the flash counter.
  5. Close Triangle Away & Straight go to the CWM Recovery pressing "Volume Up+Home+Power" buttons together. Do not switch off or restart the phone.
  6. Once you are in Clockworkmod Recovery, do the following:
    • Use "Wipe data/factory reset" option to wipe data.
    • Use "Wipe cache" to clear cache.
  7. After doing the above operations, do not restart or close the recovery, straight go to the Download mode pressing "Volume Down+Home+Power" buttons together.
  8. Press Volume Up button to enter the download mode and cross the warning message.
  9. Connect the phone to the laptop/pc and open ODIN.
  10. Flash the original Samsung Firmware.
  11. After successful flash, the phone will boot normally. For details on how to flash a stock rom, look for @Chotu's thread.
  12. CONGRATS! Now you can use OTA to update your phone.

HOW TO CONFIRM SUCCESSFUL UNROOT
  1. Open Download Mode, see that one value will be shown as "Samsung Official" & other as "Official".
  2. In Settings - About - Status look for "Device Status" value, it will be shown as "Official".
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bhsiddharth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shanbhagatul
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsiddharth View Post
PURPOSE

Hello guys, I am writing this thread because I was not able to find any specific thread on how can i unroot my galaxy grand to revert back to stock for using OTA to get updates from samsung.

Please note that the method mentioned below is used by me to unroot and get update from samsung.

IMPORTANT

I am not responsible for bricked devices. Use this process/method at your own risk.

I was in CM 11 by @pawitp on 2nd Feb, 2014 build having CWM Recovery. There might be other easy ways as well to unroot or some steps might not be needed at all. I have just shared with you guys the process I followed.

STEPS TO UNROOT
  1. Download Triangle Away developed by @Chainfire from here.
  2. Install the Triangle Away-Version.apk normally in the phone.
  3. Open the Triangle Away app and use "Reset flash counter" to rest the flash counter.
  4. Close Triangle Away & Straight go to the CWM Recovery pressing "Volume Up+Home+Power" buttons together. Do not switch off or restart the phone.
  5. Once you are in Clockworkmod Recovery, do the following:
    • Use "Wipe data/factory reset" option to wipe data.
    • Use "Wipe cache" to clear cache.
  6. After doing the above operations, do not restart or close the recovery, straight go to the Download mode pressing "Volume Down+Home+Power" buttons together.
  7. Press Volume Up button to enter the download mode and cross the warning message.
  8. Connect the phone to the laptop/pc and open ODIN.
  9. Flash the original Samsung Firmware.
  10. After successful flash, the phone will boot normally. For details on how to flash a stock rom, look for @Chotu's thread.
  11. CONGRATS! Now you can use OTA to update your phone.

HOW TO CONFIRM SUCCESSFUL UNROOT
  1. Open Download Mode, see that one value will be shown as "Samsung Official" & other as "Official".
  2. In Settings - About - Status look for "Device Status" value, it will be shown as "Official".
installing stock rom on your fone with odin will anyway revert you back to stock and unroot for you..its a quicker easier process and as far as i know its safe

bhsiddharth
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanbhagatul View Post
installing stock rom on your fone with odin will anyway revert you back to stock and unroot for you..its a quicker easier process and as far as i know its safe
If you do that it will not reset the flash counter. So even of you are in unrooted stock, you won't be able to download any update from Samsung.

akiratoriyama
Old
(Last edited by akiratoriyama; 11th February 2014 at 03:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 742

DONATE TO ME
The instructions in the OP are pretty straightforward
Kudos

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
However, if you put any trust in Quadrant scores you could use them to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance. By Chainfire
The Following User Says Thank You to akiratoriyama For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bhsiddharth
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiratoriyama View Post
If you're really doing it for OTA, then better use Triangle Away and use Odin to flash stock ROM.
This is because OTA updates (like pawitp CM's delta updates) will verify the system and will not update the ROM if the file to be updated is modified by the user

That's why i mentioned about triangle away. Please refer to the original post and it's purpose.

akiratoriyama
Old
Thanks Meter 742

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
That's why i mentioned about triangle away. Please refer to the original post and it's purpose.
My bad
Edited the post above

However, if you put any trust in Quadrant scores you could use them to prove that dancing naked for 5 minutes in your garden affects device performance. By Chainfire

bhsiddharth
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiratoriyama View Post
My bad
Edited the post above

Updated the title to be more specific.

odlabu
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Does the above mentioned procedure can be performed to my xperia flavoured rom? I want to revert to Stock for my friend who used grand duos.

Thanks in advance
Phones owned: iPhone 2G > iPhone 3Gs > Nokia E71 > LG Optimus One > Samsung Monte S5620 > Samsung b5722 > Samsung Corby 2 > Samsung Galaxy Y > Blackberry 8520 > Blackberry 9220 > Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 > Galaxy S4

bhsiddharth
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by odlabu View Post
Does the above mentioned procedure can be performed to my xperia flavoured rom? I want to revert to Stock for my friend who used grand duos.

Thanks in advance
Yes as long as the phone is rooted Samsung galaxy grand duos, this method will work.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhsiddharth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

odlabu
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Yes as long as the phone is rooted Samsung galaxy grand duos, this method will work.
Thank you for your easy guide. I will try to re-stock his phone later. I will advised the results when done.
Phones owned: iPhone 2G > iPhone 3Gs > Nokia E71 > LG Optimus One > Samsung Monte S5620 > Samsung b5722 > Samsung Corby 2 > Samsung Galaxy Y > Blackberry 8520 > Blackberry 9220 > Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 > Galaxy S4