FORUMS

I/O Summary: How Android M Handles Power And Charging

In the spirit of improving the core Android experience, Google is changing Android … more

I/O Summary: Google Photos App

At I/O 2015, Google tackled the information problem in mobile once more, this time through … more

I/O Summary: Development, Play Store, The Next Billion

VP of Engineering Jen Fitzpatrick began talking about what Google is doing to … more

I/O Summary: Google Now on Tap

Google is all about organizing the world’s information to make it universally useful, and these … more

[GUIDE] How to UNROOT & revert to Stock for receiving OTA updates

Thanks Meter: 28
 
By bhsiddharth, Member on 7th February 2014, 04:24 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
PURPOSE

Hello guys, I am writing this thread because I was not able to find any specific thread on how can i unroot my galaxy grand to revert back to stock for using OTA to get updates from samsung.

Please note that the method mentioned below is used by me to unroot and get update from samsung.



IMPORTANT

I am not responsible for bricked devices. Use this process/method at your own risk.

I was in CM 11 by @pawitp on 2nd Feb, 2014 build having CWM Recovery. There might be other easy ways as well to unroot or some steps might not be needed at all. I have just shared with you guys the process I followed.


STEPS TO UNROOT
  1. Take a full backup. (I used CWM backup to backup my whole ROM and helium to backup my data.)
  2. Download Triangle Away developed by @Chainfire from here.
  3. Install the Triangle Away-Version.apk normally in the phone.
  4. Open the Triangle Away app and use "Reset flash counter" to rest the flash counter.
  5. Close Triangle Away & Straight go to the CWM Recovery pressing "Volume Up+Home+Power" buttons together. Do not switch off or restart the phone.
  6. Once you are in Clockworkmod Recovery, do the following:
    • Use "Wipe data/factory reset" option to wipe data.
    • Use "Wipe cache" to clear cache.
  7. After doing the above operations, do not restart or close the recovery, straight go to the Download mode pressing "Volume Down+Home+Power" buttons together.
  8. Press Volume Up button to enter the download mode and cross the warning message.
  9. Connect the phone to the laptop/pc and open ODIN.
  10. Flash the original Samsung Firmware.
  11. After successful flash, the phone will boot normally. For details on how to flash a stock rom, look for @Chotu's thread.
  12. CONGRATS! Now you can use OTA to update your phone.


HOW TO CONFIRM SUCCESSFUL UNROOT
  1. Open Download Mode, see that one value will be shown as "Samsung Official" & other as "Official".
  2. In Settings - About - Status look for "Device Status" value, it will be shown as "Official".
Last edited by bhsiddharth; 11th February 2014 at 03:58 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bhsiddharth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
8th February 2014, 06:19 PM |#2  
shanbhagatul's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Margao
Thanks Meter: 139
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsiddharth

PURPOSE

Hello guys, I am writing this thread because I was not able to find any specific thread on how can i unroot my galaxy grand to revert back to stock for using OTA to get updates from samsung.

Please note that the method mentioned below is used by me to unroot and get update from samsung.



IMPORTANT

I am not responsible for bricked devices. Use this process/method at your own risk.

I was in CM 11 by @pawitp on 2nd Feb, 2014 build having CWM Recovery. There might be other easy ways as well to unroot or some steps might not be needed at all. I have just shared with you guys the process I followed.


STEPS TO UNROOT

  1. Download Triangle Away developed by @Chainfire from here.
  2. Install the Triangle Away-Version.apk normally in the phone.
  3. Open the Triangle Away app and use "Reset flash counter" to rest the flash counter.
  4. Close Triangle Away & Straight go to the CWM Recovery pressing "Volume Up+Home+Power" buttons together. Do not switch off or restart the phone.
  5. Once you are in Clockworkmod Recovery, do the following:
    • Use "Wipe data/factory reset" option to wipe data.
    • Use "Wipe cache" to clear cache.
  6. After doing the above operations, do not restart or close the recovery, straight go to the Download mode pressing "Volume Down+Home+Power" buttons together.
  7. Press Volume Up button to enter the download mode and cross the warning message.
  8. Connect the phone to the laptop/pc and open ODIN.
  9. Flash the original Samsung Firmware.
  10. After successful flash, the phone will boot normally. For details on how to flash a stock rom, look for @Chotu's thread.
  11. CONGRATS! Now you can use OTA to update your phone.


HOW TO CONFIRM SUCCESSFUL UNROOT
  1. Open Download Mode, see that one value will be shown as "Samsung Official" & other as "Official".
  2. In Settings - About - Status look for "Device Status" value, it will be shown as "Official".

installing stock rom on your fone with odin will anyway revert you back to stock and unroot for you..its a quicker easier process and as far as i know its safe
9th February 2014, 02:35 AM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanbhagatul

installing stock rom on your fone with odin will anyway revert you back to stock and unroot for you..its a quicker easier process and as far as i know its safe

If you do that it will not reset the flash counter. So even of you are in unrooted stock, you won't be able to download any update from Samsung.
11th February 2014, 12:34 PM |#4  
akiratoriyama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 837
 
Donate to Me
More
The instructions in the OP are pretty straightforward
Kudos

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
Last edited by akiratoriyama; 11th February 2014 at 03:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to akiratoriyama For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th February 2014, 01:58 PM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiratoriyama

If you're really doing it for OTA, then better use Triangle Away and use Odin to flash stock ROM.
This is because OTA updates (like pawitp CM's delta updates) will verify the system and will not update the ROM if the file to be updated is modified by the user

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

That's why i mentioned about triangle away. Please refer to the original post and it's purpose.
11th February 2014, 03:52 PM |#6  
akiratoriyama's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 837
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsiddharth

That's why i mentioned about triangle away. Please refer to the original post and it's purpose.

My bad
Edited the post above

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk
11th February 2014, 03:58 PM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiratoriyama

My bad
Edited the post above

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Updated the title to be more specific.
12th February 2014, 10:36 PM |#8  
odlabu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 50
 
More
Does the above mentioned procedure can be performed to my xperia flavoured rom? I want to revert to Stock for my friend who used grand duos.

Thanks in advance
13th February 2014, 02:00 AM |#9  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 28
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by odlabu

Does the above mentioned procedure can be performed to my xperia flavoured rom? I want to revert to Stock for my friend who used grand duos.

Thanks in advance

Yes as long as the phone is rooted Samsung galaxy grand duos, this method will work.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhsiddharth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 02:57 AM |#10  
odlabu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 50
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsiddharth

Yes as long as the phone is rooted Samsung galaxy grand duos, this method will work.

Thank you for your easy guide. I will try to re-stock his phone later. I will advised the results when done.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes