Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,052 Members 40,619 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] tablet won't turn off for replacing digitizer

Tip us?

georgeBoy2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] tablet won't turn off for replacing digitizer

Hi,
My tf300t got its screen cracked so touch screen is non functional.
I'm trying to turn it off so I can open the case, but it always reboots no matter what I try!
Tried long pressing the power button for 30 seconds but it always reboot after 8 seconds.

Any suggestions? I don't want to open it up while it's on .

Can I shut it down from fastboot mode?

cmendonc2
Old
Thanks Meter 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeBoy2 View Post
Hi,
I'm trying to turn it off so I can open the case, but it always reboots no matter what I try!
Tried long pressing the power button for 30 seconds but it always reboot after 8 seconds.

I remember there was a manual Power off option in TWRP (idk if it is still there). Have you tried that?
My Devices:

[Retired] Nook Color (CM10)

LG Optimus Dynamic II L39C (Stock, rooted)

Asus Tf300t (CM11)

Transformers: Install NvFlash for JellyBean Transformer bootloader to become unbrickable HERE Guide: Here!
Wantfree phone and tablet accessories or Google Play gift cards? Go HERE

georgeBoy2
Old
(Last edited by georgeBoy2; 10th February 2014 at 08:27 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmendonc2 View Post
I remember there was a manual Power off option in TWRP (idk if it is still there). Have you tried that?
I have the stock bootloader - it says
Code:
"Adroid cardhu-user bootloader (1.00 e) released by "WW_epad_10.4.2.9-20120809" A03
I'm inclined against flashing a bootloader (only as last resort).
I am able to get into fastboot and issue fastboot commands. will that help?

"fastboot reboot" only reboots..

by the way, the device is still locked (getvar returns "unlocked: no")..

graphdarnell
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeBoy2 View Post
Hi,

How did you turn it off if the touchscreen wasn't working? By pressing the power button would cause it to reboot endlessly. If you don't have a dock or adapter to power off properly, one thing I did before was to click the reset button (through the hole below the SD card slot) and press the power button simultaneously, then keep holding the power button for 10 seconds after releasing the reset. It did turn off the tab completely. Failing that, just pop off the back cover and turn off the service switch. The cover is not connected to anything electronic so it's ok. That'd cut off the current to the tab. It can be done, just be careful.

georgeBoy2
Old
(Last edited by georgeBoy2; 10th February 2014 at 08:56 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphdarnell View Post
How did you turn it off if the touchscreen wasn't working? By pressing the power button would cause it to reboot endlessly. If you don't have a dock or adapter to power off properly, one thing I did before was to click the reset button (through the hole below the SD card slot) and press the power button simultaneously, then keep holding the power button for 10 seconds after releasing the reset. It did turn off the tab completely. Failing that, just pop off the back cover and turn off the service switch. The cover is not connected to anything electronic so it's ok. That'd cut off the current to the tab. It can be done, just be careful.
I didn't turn it off, that's the problem.. I got it yesterday from a guy after his screen cracked.
he gave it to me turned on and I want to replace the screen, so the only thing I can use are the hard buttons.

I only have the power adapter + usb cable.
are you sure about that reset button thing?

EDIT: found info about the "service switch": http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...71&postcount=5

EDIT2: did it! thanks graphdarnell!!

now moving to step 2 - ordering a replacement digitizer..