Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 41,578 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting 4.3 with Saferoot to install CWM and Custom ROMs?

Tip us?

TheUNCONN3CT3D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Rooting 4.3 with Saferoot to install CWM and Custom ROMs?

Can I install Clockworkmod Recovery and a custom ROM if I root with saferoot on my 4.3 TouchWiz VZW GS3?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNCONN3CT3D View Post
Can I install Clockworkmod Recovery and a custom ROM if I root with saferoot on my 4.3 TouchWiz VZW GS3?
No. Installing CWM will hardbrick your phone but it will be recoverable.

What you can do though, after Saferoot, is use Safestrap then you will be able to flash only other VRUCML1 TW 4.3 roms. You will need to flash the VRUCML1 kernel modules in that thread as well, after any and every rom flash in order to have working wifi.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheUNCONN3CT3D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default What if I flash a de-KNOXED TW ROM?

What if I flash a de-KNOXED TouchWiz ROM then flash a different ROM like CyanogenMod or Carbon ROM?

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 643
Quote:
What if I flash a de-KNOXED TouchWiz ROM then flash a different ROM like CyanogenMod or Carbon ROM?
You can't do that, it uses a different kernel, you're limited to TouchWiz kernels only. Without it your phone will brick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheUNCONN3CT3D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Oh :/ Thanks anyways.

That sucks. Hopefully someone from the community could figure this out. What if you rooted with Saferoot and froze KNOX? And installed a new ROM?

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 643
Quote:
That sucks. Hopefully someone from the community could figure this out. What if you rooted with Saferoot and froze KNOX? And installed a new ROM?
Knox isn't the problem, Verizon implemented the locked bootloader. Doing this only keeps your system from Detecting root access, but it really doesn't matter unless you're planning to return your phone to Verizon for warranty service.

The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheUNCONN3CT3D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Oh well I could care less about the warranty service. I just care about getting rid of this evil ROM.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 643
Quote:
Oh well I could care less about the warranty service. I just care about getting rid of this evil ROM.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
I know, the point is you can't disable the bootloader, so you're limited to 4.3 custom TouchWiz roms using safestrap for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheUNCONN3CT3D
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Oh okay thanks.

Okay thanks for all the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheUNCONN3CT3D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Phrisko
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default Issues with safestrap and installing CleanROM 8 Core Edition

For some reason when i use Safestrap to install CleanROM 8 i can't get the wifi to work...this might not be the best place to post but I don't have enough privileges to post in dev forums.