[Q]4.4.2 and SD Card Limitations

OP extrememonkey

9th February 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54

335 posts
I think this is regarding all devices using 4.4 and above (maybe other versions too)

On all my Samsung Galaxy Devices - Note 2, S4 and now my NotePro 12.2 I cant download or transfer files directly to my microsd card unless I root unless device and change the write permissions in

system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

I have rooted my S4 and can download files from the net and save them directly to my microsd card - I dont want to root my new NotePro 12.2 so my question is

can I do this without root somehow???

Whats the point of having a microsd card slot if you cant write to the card???

Stupid Google and there so called "Open Source" File System!!!

Your slowly becoming as closed and unuseable as your Fruit Based Competitor!!!

Let me use my sd card as I want - its MY card, MY media, MY phone/tablet - no reason why I should need a pc to put files on the sd card. I should (like I always have been able to do before 4.4.2) be able to do this directly on my device without needing to void my warranty!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
9th February 2014, 09:35 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

14 posts
This is a problem of newer samsung devices themselves, not android
Try formatting the SD card or changing it, the samsung ones are more stable
9th February 2014, 10:15 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

335 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Black

This is a problem of newer samsung devices themselves, not android
Try formatting the SD card or changing it, the samsung ones are more stable

It's Google and the way they set the permissions - this happens on Nexus devices too and HTC as far as im aware!!!!
It's on newer versions of android only - 4.4.2 definitely 4.4 most likely and 4.3 possibly!!!

Ohh and it is nothing to do with the sd card or how it is formatted either!!!

9th February 2014, 11:47 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

335 posts
This problem is more apparent with Samsung devices as they are one of the remaining device manufacturers that still have external microsd cards.

Upon research the same thing happened when 4.3 rolled out and was later fixed with a firmware update.

It is a line of code in the file I mentioned above, that Google changed in the vanilla version for security reasons and to stop external storage use and to push cloud storage. They even forgot to change it for the Motorola devices that had microsd card slots.

It is a really easy fix to implement but unfortunately the only way I have found that enables the end user the ability to make the changes requires Root.

Manufacturers like HTC dont need to change the file as they dont have microsd slots.... Samsung do, and hopefully they will change the code.

A big boo boo on Google and Samsungs part if you ask me, Samsung have stuck with external expandable memory, and rightly so if you ask me - but they should be more thorough when implementing Android on there devices. Google need to up the amount if built in storage on there decices if they dont want to use expandable memory, 16/32gig isnt enough onboard storage if you can't expand it in todays media led age, if Apple can fit 150gig in a bloody ipod touch they have no excuse.

13th February 2014, 10:53 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 42

190 posts
I've seen mention of there being a fix for root users... do you happen to know what it is? I just updated my Galaxy S4 to 4.4.2 and then found out about this issue. It's a pretty big deal to me since FolderSync I can't use daily like I always do, not to mention FX file explorer for grabbing things off my server via SMB (to the SD card at least). It's a pretty big problem for me, though I'm rooted so hoping there's an easy fix.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524277
Last edited by fzammetti; 13th February 2014 at 11:19 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread