Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,159 Members 46,291 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Discussion]Knox will void your warranty (Chainfire news)

Tip us?
 
Guich
Old
#1  
Guich's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3094
Posts: 4,279
Join Date: May 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Discussion]Knox will void your warranty (Chainfire news)

Hi people,
today i found this post on the internet, and this is so bad.
If you will root a tablet/phone by samsung with knox, you will lost the warranty.
But why?
Personally samsung are doing a bad service if this will be true.

What do you think about this?

p.s. This is like region lock for Note 3 and other devices.
 
spinkick
Old
#2  
spinkick's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 609
Join Date: Apr 2010
Imagine troubleshooting an issue on 1000s of devices with different configurations and hacks. The carriers want their own specifications forced to reduce troubleshooting issues as well as those that flash, brick their phones, and then trade them in under warranty. I think if you brick your phone you should be responsible. This is why they block rooting. People abuse the system.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spinkick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Guich
Old
#3  
Guich's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3094
Posts: 4,279
Join Date: May 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
Imagine troubleshooting an issue on 1000s of devices with different configurations and hacks. The carriers want their own specifications forced to reduce troubleshooting issues as well as those that flash, brick their phones, and then trade them in under warranty. I think if you brick your phone you should be responsible. This is why they block rooting. People abuse the system.
Root and brick are different as you know...
One things is bricked, another is rooted.
If i will root my phon/tablet, is because i want customize it, i want to do perfect the device i bought.
The brick is different.
I never bricked a phone, and it's really hard do this.
If you have the knowledge, you will never brick a phone/tablet.

Personally i don't like the behavior of samsung, the same for htc with the s-on/s-off system...
 
smac7
Old
#4  
smac7's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 149
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
this would suck, how could they not cover hardware problems that have nothing to do with root. This worries me cause i've never once owned an android that i didn't root. I usually am tempted to as soon as i open the box.
Formerly known as hockey4life0099


Devices: HTC ONE; Note 10.1 2014; HP Touchpad
The Following User Says Thank You to smac7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
spinkick
Old
(Last edited by spinkick; 9th October 2013 at 10:57 PM.)
#5  
spinkick's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 609
Join Date: Apr 2010
It's in the contract to not tamper with the phone. This includes root. They are doing it to protect the bottom line like it or not. Just playing Devils advocate. This forum is FULL of folks who mess up the configuration of the phone and return it under warranty. Also, when tethering isn't allowed root allows you to break your contract and share data from your phone. All things they don't want..

Of course we all want more control. But I understand why they protect themselves. The only way to change this is to ask for it. Developer edition phones etc are a great step.
The Following User Says Thank You to spinkick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Guich
Old
#6  
Guich's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3094
Posts: 4,279
Join Date: May 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac7 View Post
this would suck, how could they not cover hardware problems that have nothing to do with root. This worries me cause i've never once owned an android that i didn't root. I usually am tempted to as soon as i open the box.
I'm hoping Chainfire will release a tool for disabling this.
However i will root my tablet in the same case.
Because, in Italy, the warranty of samsung is so slow...
 
spinkick
Old
#7  
spinkick's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 609
Join Date: Apr 2010
The knowledge to brick or not makes no difference. No root no noob bricking the phone. How are they supposed to know if you know what you are doing or not.
 
Guich
Old
(Last edited by Guich; 9th October 2013 at 11:00 PM.)
#8  
Guich's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3094
Posts: 4,279
Join Date: May 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
It's in the contract to not tamper with the phone. This includes root. They are doing it to protect the bottom line like it or not. Just playing Devils advocate.
In which contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
The knowledge to brick or not makes no difference. No root no noob bricking the phone. How are they supposed to know if you know what you are doing or not.
You're wrong.
If you have the knowledge you're knowing what you're doing.
So, you won't brick any device.
If i will do a specific thing, i will study how to do it and after do it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guich For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
spinkick
Old
#9  
spinkick's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 609
Join Date: Apr 2010
The contract with your provider and the warranty with the manufacturer.

I'm not wrong. If im the carrier and manufacturer I will do whatever I can to not pay for your mistakes.

Congratulations to you for knowing how to not brick your phone. You are still tampering and therefore they want to void your warranty because your warranty is void when you root.
 
smac7
Old
#10  
smac7's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 149
Posts: 1,202
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinkick View Post
The contract with your provider and the warranty with the manufacturer.

I'm not wrong. If im the carrier and manufacturer I will do whatever I can to not pay for your mistakes.

Congratulations to you for knowing how to not brick your phone. You are still tampering and therefore they want to void your warranty because your warranty is void when you root.
I'm okay with partial voiding of warranty, but if my power button gets stuck or a row of pixels get killed, why would the fact i rooted my phone matter?
Formerly known as hockey4life0099


Devices: HTC ONE; Note 10.1 2014; HP Touchpad

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smac7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes